Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got my first job!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,211 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 15, 2011 17:04 |  #16

SUB1IM388 wrote in post #12764973 (external link)
I would say go into best buy and ask all the questions you want i learn a lot when i go in there

You've never been to my best buy.

sponsored links
zohar0
THREAD ­ STARTER
288 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 15, 2011 17:04 |  #17

shedberg wrote in post #12764971 (external link)
If you know about DSLRs, then you should be able to look at the features list of a P&S and know quite a bit about it.

Yeah definently, that helps alot. Its just understanding what each brand difference is.

Good point thoe, thanks.

6d, 17-40L, 70-200 f/4L

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2011 19:32 |  #18

just upsell them to a Canon dSLR every time they want a camera...

"hi, what can you tell me about the Canon ELPH 100HS?"

"why dont i show you this new 5D Mark 2?"

i think the P&S market got to the point of such saturation that 80% of the features on these cameras are the same. everything else is window dressing.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 15, 2011 19:46 as a reply to  @ ekinnyc's post |  #19

zohar0 congratulations on the new job. Your attitude is in the right place so everything else will work out just fine. It is nice to see that you want to do a good job and care about the customer, that always leads to success.

macdaman
248 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2011 20:00 |  #20

ekinnyc wrote in post #12765651 (external link)
just upsell them to a Canon dSLR every time they want a camera...

"hi, what can you tell me about the Canon ELPH 100HS?"

"why dont i show you this new 5D Mark 2?"

i think the P&S market got to the point of such saturation that 80% of the features on these cameras are the same. everything else is window dressing.

OP congrats on your new job.

ekinnyc... LoL .... Always sell a 5dII.

Equipment/FeedBack
Looking for: A cheap beauty dish for speed lights.

yowzer
348 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 15, 2011 20:06 as a reply to  @ macdaman's post |  #21

You could go to this site and read a few reviews. That would most likely bring you up to a higher level than most anyone else in the store.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/ (external link)

5Dmkii - Gripped - Kirk 'L' Bracket, 100mm L IS, 24-70mm L, 70-200mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, Canon 2x TC, 580EX II, 60D - Gripped - Kirk 'L' Bracket, 18-135mm IS, Gitzo 3541LS, Kirk BH-1
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/d_swanson (external link)

cputeq007
585 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 15, 2011 20:08 |  #22

1) Don't be a brand fanboy. If you talk bad about a certain brand, a customer could say "if they're bad, why do you sell them?" Realize they're going to have different needs / wants than you and quite frankly they aren't going to be doing in-depth A/B comparisons.

2) Talk slowly. If a customer is asking you about a camera, chances are he/she knows very little about photography. Some people (myself included!) want to give someone all the knowledge we have in the shortest amount of time possible - this just isn't going to work. Go slow, let them hopefully grasp the very basics and you'd have done a huge service.

3) Don't sweat it. Realize you're probably way more knowledgeable than many customers. Most of the stuff you know (flash, A, M, S, P modes, macro, etc) are transferrable across any camera.

The things you need to get familiar with are the brand-specific capabilities. What's Sony's sweep panorama? Can I use any lens on a D5000? What good does a flip LCD do me? What is live view?

Then prepare yourself with short, concise, clear answers for the big questions - Why should I pay $900 for this DSLR when I can get this P&S for $150 and it has a 24x zoom?

Why would I want to buy a flash when this camera already has a flash built-in?

Are 18 megapixels better than 14? (Careful with this - you can go either way (yes, or no) and still confuse someone)

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,254 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 15, 2011 20:55 |  #23

Ever been to Fry's Electronics? They actually sell a nice selection of cameras... But most of the display models are usually smashed up or missing parts, and are tethered with those pesky alarm systems that you set off if you pick them up...

Here's their application, if interested:

http://ifaq.wap.org …ters/frysapplic​ation.html (external link)

I spent 21 years in sales, sales management and sales training (mostly business to business, multi-million dollar departments)... The number one thing to learn: shut up and listen, then ask a question and listen to the answer, ask more questions and listen to the answers. Doing this will guide you exactly where you need to go with the sale. And if you listen carefully the customer will tell you when they are ready to buy, without you applying any pressure. Most sales people only hear every third word a customer says and try to "make" the customer do things that the salesperson thinks they should do, rather than simply hearing what the customer wants and needs and then finding what fits their needs the best for them. It's a far, far easier approach, makes for much happier customers and fewer returns. Don't worry about the details... those will come in time. If you don't know something, say so and that you'll find out the answer, then follow through and do so at the first opportunity.

Also never assume anything... My ex-wife and I stopped by a car dealership one afternoon after walking our dogs... We'd been hiking and were pretty casually dressed. Several of the sales people at a couple different dealerships took one look at us and dissed us as a waste of their time. One of them finally found time for us and made a nice, cash sale on the spot. Now, the funny part was that the sales peoples' bosses were my customers and I knew them pretty darned well, sold them advertising every week. They didnt recognize me out of my business suit, I suppose, but some of those sales people weren't there the following week.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Cleo199
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 15, 2011 21:12 |  #24

I used to work in an electronics store. I asked the salesmen how they knew so much about the various tv's, dvd players, camera's, etc.. They told me they read the manuals that came with the floor models.

Rebel XTi, 60D, G12
24-105L/EFS18-200/EF50mm 1.8II/EFS10-22/Sigma 150-500 Bigma/BG-E3 Grip
Kenko extension tubes·580EXII Speedlight·Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW

~Debby
Wooden shoe rather be Dutch?
My pictures on Flickr (external link)

john_galt
576 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 16, 2011 01:22 |  #25

ez, just look at the card nxt to the item n read off the features! jk

thats wat all the salesman at bestbuy do when i ask about something

Gear: 5d iii, 17-40mm l, 24-70mm ii, 35mm 1.4 l, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm l, 70-200mm ii l, 600ex-rt

sponsored links

2,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got my first job!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.