Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 19:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S 60 mm 2.8 macro...Should I?

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 19, 2011 15:35 |  #31

idsurfer wrote in post #12765621 (external link)
I have been to the lens archive. I see many people that were posting no longer have this lens in their signature. Is this one of those that people think might be nice to have but after trying it find out it isn't what they had hoped for? It would fit in great with my extensive line up of 2 lenses. I also really like to shot close-up stuff. I would love a lens with this capability yet could be used for regular work as well. I hate not having infinity focus with extension tubes and close up filters. Is this thing sharp enough at the wider apertures? I don't see tons of people owning this one.

I sold it simply because because I added a FF body and wanted the option to use macro on both bodies with ease. In the back of my mind I figured a little extra working distance might not hurt for bugs either, but if I had stuck with APS-C I would have stayed with the 60 until the 100L arrived.

I think the 60 is actually slightly better optically than the 100 non-L USM, if anything.

jmckayak
500 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 19, 2011 20:02 |  #32

I have both the 60mm and the 100L. Both are VERY sharp. I find the 100 best for bugs, the 60 is nice for flowers. I like the greater working distance of the 100 for bugs, not as likely to scare the critters away or rile them up so they sting or bite. The 60 seems to have a greater depth of field and it is easier to get the flower shots that I want. Also, it takes a LOT to scare off a flower and they rarely bite... Image wise, they are quite comparable. The 60 is a very nice lens. I sometimes use it as my 'low light prime'.

Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 20, 2011 02:52 |  #33

I have the 60mm and the Sigma 150mm. I use the 150 for most of my macro's and the 60 for portrait stuff.

And its the missus's favorite macrolens. So i cant sell it without serious repercussions. :)

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 25, 2011 23:06 |  #34

Got mine in the mail today... holy cow I love this lens!

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,500 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S 60 mm 2.8 macro...Should I?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.