going to court is an option, but not one I'm considering right now (or possibly ever)
I have a few lawyer friends, have already discussed this issue with someone over beer and wings (same lawyer who I spent a lot of time with getting my contract done).
He agrees with me that I don't have time to do the legal thing - i.e. formally sit with him or another lawyer, spend a couple hours explaining what happened, etc... I have a lot of time to get there, and he tells me it will look a whole lot better on my end if I have time on my side (i.e. give the couple lots of time to do stupid things - the more often they fail to live up to new agreements/deadlines, the better)
As per my contract - no late fees or penalties for missing the payment (there is a NSF fee, and it has been applied). However, it does indicate that I treat the day as not having happened should there be a payment issue (which there clearly is). If I want to delete pictures and totally move on from this, I'm free to do so (I'm not there yet) but he suggests that I wait for the 2nd post-dated check to bounce. I wasn't going to deposit that one, but he suggests that until she tells you not to, she gave you that check to deposit, and you don't want to tell a judge you didn't receive any type of payments if you have a check in hand that you didn't cash for whatever reason, as the couple will go out of their way to say/show there's enough funds there to cover it.
My friend also tells me I should have left the bride on the morning of the wedding to seek out payment from the groom, or ask the assistant to do so. As good as my intentions were that morning, his wording on the contract has me on the sidelines that day until payment agreements are met. He's a bit peeved at me for delaying for a few hours. He also thinks I should have told the groom off when he implied I was insulting him asking for payment, after already putting in a few good-faith hours on his terms.
And finally, we had never discussed this originally, but he will draft me a 2nd contract - one for times where the couple wants to split payments between wedding day and delivery. His suggestion is to include a longer delivery time, stiffer penalties for any late or NSF payments, etc... in the hopes that when a couple sees the 2nd contract, they will like the 1st contract better...
The reason for thinking of not ever taking this issue to court... Should I win that little battle, I get the money.... Might be one big payment, or might be monthly payments that take forever... And then have to fulfill my end of the deal. At this point, I suspect the couple (and so far, I expect the unexpected with them) will seek out every reason to complain about everything I give them, which will cause me to spend more time trying to 'please' them or fight off their BS. If they're not satisfied, they will use me suing them and not being generally happy with them as reason that any work I give them is not suitable (based on their tastes) and may want to take this to a judge as well...
So am I better off never getting a dime, or open the door to waiting for payment + dealing with potentially troublesome clients I don't want to deal with?