Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Jul 2011 (Monday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First all-Asian wedding - a complete disaster!

this thread is locked
dariussutherland
206 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 09, 2011 18:07 |  #436

The OP (no offense) really BALLSED the whole thing up.

LiveNLearn...

Wedding Photographer Sussex (external link) | Wedding Photographer London (external link) | Brighton Photographer (external link) | Wedding Photographers Canada (external link)

sponsored links
Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 09, 2011 22:36 |  #437

Holy cow. Went to work and came home and there's 4 more pages to catch up on.

Some Stuff

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 07:59 |  #438

jmg181 wrote in post #12905972 (external link)
Why both? Wouldn't the first bouncing check negate the effectively revised terms? (In case you got this answer from your lawyer friend, I'm curious)

The 2nd check is a tricky one...
If I don't cash it, they may very well turn around and say I can't claim to not having been paid as there is a perfectly good check in my hands
If I do cash it in - which I have to, that's the only purpose for its existence - and it doesn't clear, then her deal (2 post-dated checks) is off the table and then I can enforce my contract

The reality is that this little scheme gained her/them roughly 3 weeks of time wasting....

If I could prove that she/they purposely intended to give me 2 bogus checks, there's a whole bunch of things I could do. All I can prove so far is that they're bad with their finances... Her appearance of giving me checks behind his back kinda works in his favor if he says those were not intended...

We (lawyer and I) totally anticipate check #2 to bounce, and he will have a letter drawn out, outlining what they need to do next in order for things to proceed, which will call for payment in full via certified check before any work is to proceed, and an 8-12 weeks delivery timeline

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 08:02 |  #439

spider87 wrote in post #12905805 (external link)
might have not thought twice about accepting post dated checks prior to reading this thread.

I get PD checks all the time. Some couples will give me one along with their deposit, dated for 2 weeks prior to the wedding. Others have given me multiples, basically as a payment plan, leading up to their wedding date, and on and on... never been an issue, and I never saw an issue with this one...

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 08:43 |  #440

cdifoto wrote in post #12905534 (external link)
Do we REALLY need each one of these details to help our businesses? I don't think so. I think it's pretty much reality TV at this point, and has been for awhile. We watch with interest the same way we rubberneck a car accident. We're not learning anything new from it, we just like to see carnage.

No one REALLY needs these updates. You are right. At the same time, no one REALLY needs to be on this forum. What you do read, where you read it, is totally your choice... If I don't like what I'm reading, I generally stop reading it, but how you handle what you do or don't want to read, that's really up to you...

I would really like to be able to turn off this issue like I can turn off a leaky faucet. But it's always on my mind - mostly "what will they do next? What's their end game?"
Once I get my mind wrapped around something else - another wedding, engagement, edits, taking my daughter to the gym, etc... then I'm good. As soon as I go idle (or my phone's caller ID shows bride or her dad is calling) then it's back on.
Part of why I'm busy has to do with more shoots - this is prime wedding season after all!
And part of why I'm busy is my 9-3ish office most-days job. I have a lot of time here to be on this forum w/o taking away from anything else. Check posting history, I don't think you'll see much from this weekend from me here, and you'll see a lot of early weekday stuff.
And then there's family life too.
I usually do a good job keeping everything apart. Sure, my son has come with me on some e-shoots (he's getting good with holding flashes and stuff!) but this wedding is one of the 1st things my wife asks about when I get home... first thing my mom asks when I go visit. first thing friends ask about when I see them... I guess some people want to know for their own entertainment. Some people want to know because they care. I'm good with either reason, because you're also giving me a place to vent (and get some ideas).
I play ball every Sunday night - there 2 lawyers on the team - one of which is involved in this, and has helped throughout the last 4 or so years with various questions, contracts, etc... The last game, at least 1/2 the team was talking about this (not all with me, some amongst themselves) or asking me for updates. A bunch of other photographers in this area, I've been in touch with them, looking for feedback. Some have had similar experiences and are sending recommendations. And asking for updates.

So if you you care - thank you.
If you want to be entertained, it's your right to be here, read, and feedback
if you don't fall into either of those, you're probably not reading this...

casp3r
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Aug 10, 2011 08:50 |  #441

Keep 'im coming :)

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 08:50 |  #442

cdifoto wrote in post #12905961 (external link)
I'd accept a post-dated check from a friend, relative, or client with a good track record. I don't think that is a problem in and of itself. I think the problem is accepting it from this particular couple.

The big issue with accepting it from the bride is that this basically made it a verbal agreement, and I can't break this agreement to put in something else until it breaks itself...

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 09:00 as a reply to  @ post 12905961 |  #443

deleted... double post

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 09:04 |  #444

suecassidy wrote in post #12905062 (external link)
The OP doesn't need to be bashed on this forum. By keeping us in the information loop, he is merely allowing us to benefit from his experience, however you take that to mean. It may even be cathartic for him to write about it, whatever. This forum is partly about everyone learning from someone else's experiences, and I find this thread very interesting on many levels. I like to learn from someone else's business life lessons, as much as my own. I think he is doing a great service to allow us a glimpse into his situation and debate about it. I hope everything works out well for him. Well said, Cliff...people can unsubscribe if they don't like it.

And I would rather be living through this experience through someone else too!
(and I had to google cathartic...;))

spider87
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 10, 2011 09:05 |  #445

SMP_Homer wrote in post #12909428 (external link)
I get PD checks all the time. Some couples will give me one along with their deposit, dated for 2 weeks prior to the wedding. Others have given me multiples, basically as a payment plan, leading up to their wedding date, and on and on... never been an issue, and I never saw an issue with this one...

Well, I didn't mean to say that I'll always be suspicious of post dated checks now. Simply, I meant what I said, I'll think twice about it now. Before I would have just blindly accepted it no matter what but now I know to think a little more into maybe why they gave me post dated checks. Obviously, if a couple pays me half and then dates a check for 2 weeks before the wedding I won't be suspicious but if I've been having nothing but problems with them and then the checks are dated for 2 random weekends, I'll be a little suspicious.

My gallery (external link)
Gear: Canon Rebel T5i & Canon Rebel XT|Canon 18-55mm IS STM Kit lens f3.5-5.6|Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6|Canon 50mm f1.8 (Finally!)

shaolinmonk
103 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 10, 2011 09:06 as a reply to  @ SMP_Homer's post |  #446

wow this is quite messed up...

Asian folks are usually quite concerned with marriage luck and getting things off on the right track.. all this "negative" energy can't do well for their future lol

you are just dealing with scum now ..best of luck

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 10, 2011 09:23 as a reply to  @ shaolinmonk's post |  #447

Homer

just read this entire mess after staying away a couple of weeks to see where things went.

WOW.. What a cluser

Cdifoto gave you the best advise about 15 pages ago. No money, no product. At this point, I would put this on my backburner. When they pay, they get you to complete your work on thier images. They obviously want them. Just look at all the Bulls%$T they have put you through.

After reading everything to date here is what I would do.

When they call, tell them they have violated the terms of the original contract. Tell them when they hand you the funds in CASH you will fit thier workload into your schedule and deliver the product as time permits on your schedule.

When you get the cash, and you will get the cash, give them a new anticipated delivery date based on your work load.

No cash, no delivery of product--plain and simple.

no more games with them

Groom put up or shuts up

as for going to court to get payment-- Dont waste your time. Take this as a learning experience and just accept that you are dealing with a complete jerk You have more time in this to make it a loosing situation anyway.

Fell for ya buddy, Stand on your two feet, wait for your cash. I would not play this any other way.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jmg181
558 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 10, 2011 09:35 |  #448

SMP_Homer wrote in post #12909420 (external link)
We (lawyer and I) totally anticipate check #2 to bounce, and he will have a letter drawn out, outlining what they need to do next in order for things to proceed, which will call for payment in full via certified check before any work is to proceed, and an 8-12 weeks delivery timeline

Looks like you have it well set up at this point then. I like to think that anyone self-employed still needs his army of goons (lawyer, accountant, etc), though I wish I could pay more in chicken wings and beer, though luckily my future SIL is an accountant :D

Good luck, I'll still be following the updates

T3 (1100D) - 18-55mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 55-250 IS
Pics (external link)
Here to learn, feel free to be harsh.

mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 10, 2011 09:53 |  #449

mplezia wrote in post #12903349 (external link)
Money = Pictures. Everything else, every other communication is a waste of time.

This.

I'm not a professional, and I've never been in your shoes. But, I don't see any reason for you to correspond with them or even think about their pictures until you get paid.

Money = Pictures.

Homer, my earlier "contribution" to the thread probably came across as more negative than I intended. The more I read, the more it seems you're doing the best you can with a crappy situation. Sharing your story is probably very helpful to a lot of people new to the business side of photography, or those considering going that route.

So, thanks for sharing and good luck getting this all resolved to your benefit.

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

dariussutherland
206 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 10, 2011 10:14 as a reply to  @ SMP_Homer's post |  #450

I'm just going to keep saying it.

You've made a real MEAL out of all this. To me, another poster also said it. You are appearing to just like the drama.

Wedding Photographer Sussex (external link) | Wedding Photographer London (external link) | Brighton Photographer (external link) | Wedding Photographers Canada (external link)

sponsored links

93,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
First all-Asian wedding - a complete disaster!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.