Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Jul 2011 (Monday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First all-Asian wedding - a complete disaster!

this thread is locked
SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 10:14 |  #451

shaolinmonk wrote in post #12909646 (external link)
wow this is quite messed up...

Asian folks are usually quite concerned with marriage luck and getting things off on the right track.. all this "negative" energy can't do well for their future lol

yeah, marriage luck did come into play. One of the things we had discussed if photographing the rings, which they were all on board with. We asked and asked and asked throughout the day, kept putting us off to later once saying they didn't want the parents to see them w/o rings, and then were told we couldn't do it as it is bad luck to take them off, so we skipped the various ring shots, but did do some extras while they were wearing them...

Frustrating in that we had discussed this weeks in advance, and there was never any indication it would be an issue, both before or after the ceremony... and then find out otherwise on wedding day... have to honor customs and whatnot, but they certainly were interested in the scenarios I had presented (and other examples) of various shots with the rings...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 10:19 |  #452

dariussutherland wrote in post #12909980 (external link)
I'm just going to keep saying it.

You've made a real MEAL out of all this.

I'm not sure what that means... but I suspect you're making fun of the Father of the Bride's comments that I should consider the evening's meal a part of my payment.

To me, another poster also said it. You are appearing to just like the drama.

Noted.

spider87
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 10, 2011 10:25 |  #453

I'm just going to keep saying it.

You've made a real MEAL out of all this. To me, another poster also said it. You are appearing to just like the drama.

dariussutherland wrote in post #12906217 (external link)
The OP (no offense) really BALLSED the whole thing up.

LiveNLearn...

Your posts are repetitive and not really accomplishing anything/adding to the thread. Why do you continue? I'm not trying to be rude and I'm not questioning your right to post here but what is your goal? OP is sticking to this thread and posting not spreading them out over several threads and not forcing you to read the thread. Why do you insist on continuing to say this about OP making a "meal" of it and what does that (and for that matter "BALLSED it up") even mean?

My gallery (external link)
Gear: Canon Rebel T5i & Canon Rebel XT|Canon 18-55mm IS STM Kit lens f3.5-5.6|Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6|Canon 50mm f1.8 (Finally!)

jmg181
558 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 10, 2011 10:28 |  #454

spider87 wrote in post #12910038 (external link)
Your posts are repetitive and not really accomplishing anything/adding to the thread. Why do you continue? I'm not trying to be rude and I'm not questioning your right to post here but what is your goal? OP is sticking to this thread and posting not spreading them out over several threads and not forcing you to read the thread. Why do you insist on continuing to say this about OP making a "meal" of it and what does that (and for that matter "BALLSED it up") even mean?

/shrug I've already made good use of the ignore function, as I doubt anything useful would be found if I didn't.

The rest of us are interested, for one reason or another, and I see no reason to stop updating as long as Homer feels like updating.

T3 (1100D) - 18-55mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 55-250 IS
Pics (external link)
Here to learn, feel free to be harsh.

spider87
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 10, 2011 10:32 |  #455

jmg181 wrote in post #12910052 (external link)
/shrug I've already made good use of the ignore function, as I doubt anything useful would be found if I didn't.

The rest of us are interested, for one reason or another, and I see no reason to stop updating as long as Homer feels like updating.

Agreed. Also, I didn't realize there WAS an ignore function. Thanks for the heads up! He has been ignored now!

Gear: Canon Rebel T5i & Canon Rebel XT|Canon 18-55mm IS STM Kit lens f3.5-5.6|Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6|Canon 50mm f1.8 (Finally!)

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 10, 2011 10:51 |  #456

umphotography wrote in post #12909736 (external link)
Cdifoto gave you the best advise about 15 pages ago. No money, no product.

It is great advice. Others have mentioned it too, and I even mention this in the very 1st post of this thread (near the end)...

umphotography wrote in post #12909736 (external link)
as for going to court to get payment-- Dont waste your time. Take this as a learning experience and just accept that you are dealing with a complete a%%hole. You have more time in this to make it a loosing situation anyway.

I initially saw me initiating court as a waste of time, but then was explained how "winning" really works. Winning doesn't equal walking out with payment. Winning will most likely mean the groom now gets a payment schedule, so I'll get $50/month or some other crappy amount spread out over time.
I'd rather win by them deciding they've had enough, pay up, and get it over with...

dariussutherland
206 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 10, 2011 11:50 as a reply to  @ SMP_Homer's post |  #457

He's messed up the whole situation is what I mean. From Start To Finish.

Point taken. I am just amazed at how this is going on and on and on and that's the only thing I can keep repeating until he gets it, because I just don't think he does.

The poster is basically posting the same thing too. 'He's Not Been Paid Yet' There is No Resolution, They Keep Calling & He Keeps Answering yada yada yada. He is not listening and he doesn't seem to be learning.

I think he just needs to try a different tactic because what he has been doing so far is just not working.

You're right. I do keep repeating myself and will stop. Personally he needs to kill this thread and update when it's all over with....Because it's just the same old crap...

No offense OP. For The Last Time. You Are Just Making A Meal Of It All :D

Wedding Photographer Sussex (external link) | Wedding Photographer London (external link) | Brighton Photographer (external link) | Wedding Photographers Canada (external link)

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 12, 2011 17:58 |  #458

dariussutherland wrote in post #12910468 (external link)
He's messed up the whole situation is what I mean. From Start To Finish.

No? he played it the right way, How would you have been? mean and yelling at YOUR CLIENTS? no. That is not how business should be done

Point taken. I am just amazed at how this is going on and on and on and that's the only thing I can keep repeating until he gets it, because I just don't think he does.

It is a public forum, people input and it is interesting to me, because I am not in the buesness yet and I am interested in how situations like these have been handled.

The poster is basically posting the same thing too. 'He's Not Been Paid Yet' There is No Resolution, They Keep Calling & He Keeps Answering yada yada yada. He is not listening and he doesn't seem to be learning.

he hasent been payed, so he is going to keep responding to the questions as such. what is he gonna listen to? the people saying we arent gonna pay you until after you give us what we want? I think he has learned A LOT and I think other photographers on the forum have too.

I think he just needs to try a different tactic because what he has been doing so far is just not working.

what do you suggest mighty one? you must have the answer.

You're right. I do keep repeating myself and will stop. Personally he needs to kill this thread and update when it's all over with....Because it's just the same old crap...

Then stop now, this post which I have quoted wasnt needed then

No offense OP. For The Last Time. You Are Just Making A Meal Of It All :D

You are rude and the comment here ^ is useless. go back in the hole troll.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 12, 2011 18:46 |  #459

I've done my fair share of Vietnamese and Laotian weddings and have only had a money issue come up once (less than with weddings of non-Asian people, to be sure). The bride wanted me to work longer hours for less money, and she wanted me to disregard my "the-last-1/3-is-due-one-week-before-the-wedding" clause. I settled for the latter but not the former. Looking through my inbox the day before the wedding I saw there were 58 emails, from that bride alone, regarding money and timing. Normally I might have three or four such emails/calls. I thought maybe they were a little hard-up for money so I didn't worry about it too much. The wedding day came and I sat through the tea ceremony at the bride's house...and watched them get over $40,000 in cash from their families, and more than that amount in gold, and began to laugh at the thought that they might've had money worries.

Asian wedding or not, getting paid up front is a must.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 12, 2011 22:58 |  #460

how many weeks now and nothing new, just the same info repeated over and over again. They haven't paid yet, I get it. Either bring something new onto the table i.e. sue them so we can all learn whether it is successful to pursue legal action in your situation. Either the client needs to be thrown into jail for treating the OP so bad, or we just got trolled by the best there ever was...

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 13, 2011 05:55 |  #461

Ebwly wrote in post #12926399 (external link)
how many weeks now and nothing new, just the same info repeated over and over again. They haven't paid yet, I get it. Either bring something new onto the table i.e. sue them so we can all learn whether it is successful to pursue legal action in your situation. Either the client needs to be thrown into jail for treating the OP so bad, or we just got trolled by the best there ever was...

I forwarded your quote to the script writers, in the hopes that someone will meet your request to move this along, and make it more entertaining for you. Who knows, maybe we will get a new cliffhanger!

But seriously. I haven't updated or said a thing in 2 days. All that has happened is me ignoring the father's calls about 15 times (he has also never left a single message) in the last 3-4 days. No new development or anything to add. No new emails. PD check is still pending. No UFO sightings. And someone still manages to whine about this just being the same thing repeated over and over.

Owain ­ Glyndwr
528 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 13, 2011 06:04 |  #462

what do you plan to do if the cheque does clear? You still won't have been paid in full and there is still no guarantee that you ever will. Will you start on the processing or wait till you get the final payment?

Bora Da! OG
Canon EOS 600d, EF 24-70L, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Sigma 18-250mm, 430EX II, Lowepro Primus AW, Lowepro Zoom 55AW,

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 13, 2011 08:26 |  #463

OP: just sue the guy already. Your plan of action has no result, yet you still plan to stick to this 'waiting game' of yours.

I don't need any cliff-hanger, but every show needs some development at least. Moreover, I am reluctant to believe everthing that has been said. So many times esp on online forums, people use them as a way to justify their actions. It's hard to know what the real story is w/o two sides both giving their account. If your story is iron-clad, and you are in no way at fault, why are you not suing them?

Clearly your clients are breaking the law. Yet on the other hand, I am reluctant to believe anyone would act in such a manner unless there is good reason for it. They paid the wedding, which is way more expensive than the fees for the photographer. WHy would they try to jib you?

I may be wrong, in which case forgive me, but to quote Optimus Prime: there is more to this than meets the eye. :-D

spider87
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 13, 2011 08:35 |  #464

Ebwly wrote in post #12927697 (external link)
OP: just sue the guy already. Your plan of action has no result, yet you still plan to stick to this 'waiting game' of yours.

He stated a few pages back that he can't sue until after the second check doesn't clear due to the fact that they can still say in court that he has a check in hand that hasn't been proven to be bad. You would think that one bounced check is enough to confirm that the next one is bad or enough to break the verbal agreement but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's not.

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 13, 2011 08:40 |  #465

actually he can still sue the guy for breach of contract and claim interest on payment. e.g. If you buy a house and don't pay by the settlement date, you can count on it that either you lose your deposit or you get sued for specific performance. A contract is a contract, and any breach of it's terms will amount in a court action for specific performance. Unless...of course you don't want to raise a court action because you know that you might lose...

sponsored links

93,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
First all-Asian wedding - a complete disaster!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.