Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there something wrong with my 7D? My lens? Me?!

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,955 posts
Gallery: 1744 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 28, 2011 23:37 |  #31

It takes about half a second for the IS to stabilize when it first spools. Yeah, it's a drag. But once it's on and spinning... all subsequent shots can be taken immediately without needing to wait (until you let the IS motor stop again, which takes I think 2-3 seconds of inactivity).

You don't always need to have IS turned on, especially if your shutter speed is fast enough. Since you're not "panning" the rat, and you're not shooting at retarded slow speeds like 1/40s and slower, there's really no point for IS to be on.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
TampaFoto
771 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Jul 28, 2011 23:55 |  #32

I think your 7D is like mine. I can not use the center point . Try using any other point and watch your in focus rate go way up. I try never to use the center point. I have used several diffrent lens on my 7D and get the same results with all lenses I have used. Yes I know I should send my 7D in to be fixed but never have. There was another thread on this same problem with the 7D and someone suggested to stop using the center point and well It works for me.

Ay Hombe !

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2011 07:14 |  #33

TampaFoto wrote in post #12841219 (external link)
I think your 7D is like mine. I can not use the center point . Try using any other point and watch your in focus rate go way up. I try never to use the center point. I have used several diffrent lens on my 7D and get the same results with all lenses I have used. Yes I know I should send my 7D in to be fixed but never have. There was another thread on this same problem with the 7D and someone suggested to stop using the center point and well It works for me.

That's a shame. I don't feel like I should have to do that on such a nice camera! My 30D's center point worked great - what gives?!

<><

adamsheehy
485 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 29, 2011 07:26 |  #34

germ79 wrote in post #12840694 (external link)
Ok. So I talked to Canon and they ended up sending me another 7D. I tried some test shots and it seemed they were more consistently focused than the last 7D, but still sometimes produces OOF images when the AF point(s) are clearly on the OOF subject.

Here are some 100% crops for your viewing pleasure. They have zero PP:

This bucket had 2 AF points on it, yet it is OOF. In actuality, the ground closer to the bottom of the picture is pretty sharp and in focus.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 503

Here is another:

The single AF point is on the white tag. It is clearly OOF.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Here is a football, not perfectly in focus, but about as good as I've seen so far.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Finally, here is one of the bucket in focus. AF point is on the bucket.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I'm kind of seeing a trend in that the shots at 55mm are pretty sharp. The shots at 17mm are typically very OOF. Could this be? Is it the lens?

I really don't think it is me. I'm not sure what exactly I could be doing wrong. Single AF point, fast enough shutter, low ISO. All pics are with 2.8 so I could really see the problem areas.

I didn't post pics of it, but I also took some landscape photos (focusing on the houses across the way from me and EVERYTHING was OOF. I realize I was using 2.8, but the infinity focus should still be good.

So, I'm stumped. If I need to return this lens I will. I'm frustrated in that when I drop $1000+ on a lens I'm expecting it to be of fantastic IQ. My old 17-85 took better pics than this thing!

PLEASE HELP ME!

What do you mean when you say there are two AF points on the bucket? Are you using auto for the selection points?

This looks exactly like the first round of photos in that some are front focused and others back focused, which would lead me to believe it's technique, but getting two dysfunctional 7Ds in a row isn't entirely out of the realm of possibilities. Are you using the viewfinder when taking the pics? Are the regions of interest clearly in focus when shooting? Do certain regions of the image go in and out of focus frequently when trying to focus?

flickr (external link)

Kaljam
154 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2011 08:20 |  #35

I think you're looking in too many different directions before eliminating things as the possible problem.

Put the camera on a tripod, center point focus, use the timer or remote trigger, shoot a stationary object and check the results. If it is not focused, try the micro-focus adjusting. My 70-200 and 100-400 were dead on. The 24-70 needed a +6 adjustment.

alann
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2011 09:20 |  #36

I would put all my chips on shutter speed being too slow. You would be suprised at how just a tiny bit of movement will blur a photo while using a 1/100. See post by Bill Boehme above.

My FLickrPage (external link)

Kaljam
154 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2011 09:32 as a reply to  @ alann's post |  #37

Some of the blades of grass in front of the bucket appear to be in focus. If camera motion was an issue, they would blur.

The grass around the rodent seems a bit OOF. If the rat moving was an issue, the grass right around it should be in focus. I doubt the grass right around the rat was moving enough to blur it if it was windy. If that was the case, the grass in front of the rat would be blurred also but the grass in front of it was not OOF.

It looks like it is front focusing. Focusing on dead center of that bucket also offers very little contrast on the focusing point for the AF to work properly.

JackFlash19
372 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 29, 2011 09:43 |  #38

I'd say it's a combination front focusing + user error. Bump up your iso a bit along with your shutter speed just for grins with a moving object and see what happens. I always shoot full manual but that's just me

40d | 10-22mm | 28-135mm | 50mm 1.8II | 430exII | 7500tm tripod | filters, bags, books and a very long wishlist.
White Hot Media (external link)
Flickr (external link)

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2011 09:52 |  #39

adam, sorry I should have posted that I with that last bucket pic I had switched over to the Zone AF using the block of AF points in the middle. 2 of the points were locked on directly over the bucket.

Kaljam, I'll try that here in a bit!

alann - I do believe some of the OOF shots are due to slow shutter speed, but I have some (like that 1st bucket above) that were taken at higher speeds (the bucket was 1/500 I believe) that were still OOF). I'll sift through my pictures for a pattern.

<><

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2011 10:07 |  #40

As I look through pictures, I'm seeing a bit of a trend. When I'm shooting at 17mm using single point with the middle AF point, the red AF point box is typically covering only a portion of what I want to be in focus (e.g. someones face at 17mm might be far enough away that the box is covering there face, but also hanging off around the edges of their face). When I shoot at 55mm the subject is obviously closer and the AF box is typically covering the entire subject only (e.g. it would be on someone's face, but I'm so far zoomed in that he box and the immediately surrounding area is all on the face and nothing else).

Perhaps that is why my shots at 55mm seem so much more crisp? Maybe using the single AF point when the subject is not large enough to encompass the single AF box is not a good idea? Does that make sense?

Here are two examples (BTW, I do believe it is front focusing a bit, but you'll get the idea)

100% crop of my son's face. I was maybe 6ft away and shooting at 55mm. The single AF point was covering just a fraction of his face, so it knew where to focus:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

Here is one of a foot. It was at 17mm, so the foot encompassed much of the AF point, but the red focus square was also hanging off of the foot and onto the surrounding grass. (Of course that doesn't explain why the grass isn't in focus either!)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thoughts on this hypothesis?

<><

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,955 posts
Gallery: 1744 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 29, 2011 10:15 |  #41

Do yourself a favor. If you're going to test whether your lens/camera front/back focuses... put it on a tripod, shutter speed of 1/500 or faster, and aim for some simple... high-contrast object without a lot of clutter in front or behind the object. Take photos of it both w/ regular AF and then later w/ Live View.

If the two photos match up fairly well, then the camera/lens is just fine. Then it's a matter of understanding the size of the focus points, the AF mode to shoot in, and learning how to shoot better.

If my suggested test shows that the AF is off, in that the high-contrast object is OOF, blurry, etc..., then you just need to determine if this is a body-specific or lens-specific issue. Your sig says you have 2 lenses.. do the test with both lenses to see.

And after you've done the testing... try and stop pixel-peeping at 100%. That is unless you intend to print your photos at 4-feet by 6-feet and stick your nose in front of the print.

A photo is valued for the subject/content and its composition. You can show me the highest quality, sharpest photo of a bucket and it's still just a bucket. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2011 10:34 |  #42

jwcdds wrote in post #12842880 (external link)
Do yourself a favor. If you're going to test whether your lens/camera front/back focuses... put it on a tripod, shutter speed of 1/500 or faster, and aim for some simple... high-contrast object without a lot of clutter in front or behind the object. Take photos of it both w/ regular AF and then later w/ Live View.

If the two photos match up fairly well, then the camera/lens is just fine. Then it's a matter of understanding the size of the focus points, the AF mode to shoot in, and learning how to shoot better.

If my suggested test shows that the AF is off, in that the high-contrast object is OOF, blurry, etc..., then you just need to determine if this is a body-specific or lens-specific issue. Your sig says you have 2 lenses.. do the test with both lenses to see.

And after you've done the testing... try and stop pixel-peeping at 100%. That is unless you intend to print your photos at 4-feet by 6-feet and stick your nose in front of the print.

A photo is valued for the subject/content and its composition. You can show me the highest quality, sharpest photo of a bucket and it's still just a bucket. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing this today.

I have never been a pixel-peeper, but when I noticed the OOF images WITHOUT pixel-peeping, it threw up a red flag for me. It does't help that I saved for this camera and lens and, so far, feel like I got better quality from my 30D and 17-85 IS.

Believe me, I'd rather NOT be pixel-peeping! I'd rather know the setup is capable of taking consistently sharp photos so I can go take some meaningful pictures!

<><

gce
126 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2011 10:56 as a reply to  @ germ79's post |  #43

You've tried 2 7D's but you're still using the same lens (17-55) and having the same problem. Have you tried setting up a shot with the same exposure using your 17-55 @ 50mm and your 50mm to see if it might be the lens?

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 29, 2011 11:03 |  #44

Kaljam wrote in post #12842389 (external link)
I think you're looking in too many different directions before eliminating things as the possible problem.

Put the camera on a tripod, center point focus, use the timer or remote trigger, shoot a stationary object and check the results. If it is not focused, try the micro-focus adjusting. My 70-200 and 100-400 were dead on. The 24-70 needed a +6 adjustment.

This is the best answer so far. Testing your camera and lens on a high-contrast, non-moving target will eliminate both camera and lens as the culprit. Next, the OP will have to work on CFn setup and technique. Learning the nuances of a 7D is necessary!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2011 13:37 |  #45

Ok, so I threw it on a tripod and used the timer to take some pics. I had the IS off and did what Canon recommends, which is to manually focus it using the maximum zoom on Live View and then flip it over to AF and press the shutter half-way down to see if the focusing ring changes at all. For the most part it didn't (moved slightly a couple times) so I'm thinking I'm good.

I printed a test page to shoot and will post the 100% crops for you to see the results.

At 17mm:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

At 55mm:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Another at 55mm:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

One just for fun sitting on my desk shooting my coffee cup:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

So, on a tripod, it's great. Either I'm doing something wrong or I shouldn't be using the IS on the lens.

Hmmm...

<><

sponsored links

6,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there something wrong with my 7D? My lens? Me?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.