Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there something wrong with my 7D? My lens? Me?!

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,949 posts
Gallery: 1743 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Jul 29, 2011 14:04 |  #46

You should patent that focus chart in your first image. :lol:

So it looks to me you'll need to spend a lot more time with the camera/lens combo.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
gce
126 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 29, 2011 14:51 as a reply to  @ post 12844064 |  #47

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503

bw!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,493 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 29, 2011 15:26 |  #48

jwcdds wrote in post #12844207 (external link)
You should patent that focus chart in your first image. :lol:

So it looks to me you'll need to spend a lot more time with the camera/lens combo.

Jerk!!!! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

nikmar08
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 29, 2011 15:54 |  #49

germ79 wrote in post #12844064 (external link)
So, on a tripod, it's great.

While that sounds good...

germ79 wrote in post #12844064 (external link)
...I shouldn't be using the IS on the lens.

that doesn't. That isn't the remedy at all.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)
Nikhil | Gear List & Market Feedback | Flickr (external link)
Support POTN by donating here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 29, 2011 15:58 |  #50

this seems like a pretty simple diagnosis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP used single point AF in One shot to shoot a moving subject at 1/100th and got out of focus results?

You can easily see the grass is in focus, so camera shake isn't an issue here.

The issue seems to be either that the mouse moved out of the focal plane in one and that it was in motion in the other and the shutter speed wasn't high enough to freeze it. Try 1/500th or faster for moving subjects and use AI servo to keep focus for front/back motion.

Your camera seems fine to me.

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2011 18:09 |  #51

So, after doing more testing and MA my lens, I have come to a sad conclusion.

My pics are very sharp without MA at 55mm. At 17mm, my pics are sharpest when adjusted to -5. When I adjust to -5 for the short end, the long end suffers. If I Ieave it at 0 for the long end, the short end suffers.

So, I spoke with Canon and they suggested I send in the lens for calibration or exchange it from where I purchased it (bhphoto).

Has anyone else had this experience?

<><

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,493 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 29, 2011 18:18 |  #52

That is common, you may adjust a zoom at one focal length, but then yes, it may not be right at another focal length.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 29, 2011 19:39 |  #53

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12845417 (external link)
That is common, you may adjust a zoom at one focal length, but then yes, it may not be right at another focal length.

So do you just live with it or is it something that Canon can adjust? Perhaps if I exchanged the lens I would get a copy that does not exhibit this phenomenon? Or do they all?

<><

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,773 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2011 19:58 |  #54

I suggest you try back buttom focus and separate your focus from your metering and shutter button. This may help you with some of your technique issues.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,493 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 29, 2011 21:31 |  #55

germ79 wrote in post #12845759 (external link)
So do you just live with it or is it something that Canon can adjust? Perhaps if I exchanged the lens I would get a copy that does not exhibit this phenomenon? Or do they all?

You either pick a value at a focal length you think you will use most, or you choose an average value, and learn to focus differently. For example if you knew a lens front-focused, you could always try to train the AF point on something a little further back. There is no great answer except to minimally send the lens in, but it might require both lens and body.

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 29, 2011 22:18 |  #56

One thing for certain, and that's that you can find out if it's the lens, the camera, or you by just trying another lens :)

7D, 5DII

Kaljam
154 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 29, 2011 22:53 |  #57

germ79 wrote in post #12845759 (external link)

Try AI Servo as mentioned. I think your camera and lens look ok. It could be as simple as your not holding the camera correctly. If you lock focus on one point, move slightly and then fully depress the shutter, you could just be "missing your target" after locking. AI Servo MAY confirm this.

How are you holding your camera? This may be overly simple but check this page:

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-hold-a-digital-camera (external link)

sponsored links

6,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there something wrong with my 7D? My lens? Me?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.