Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Jul 2011 (Monday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Workflow suggestions for a PSE 9 newby

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 25, 2011 22:10 |  #1

I have been using DPP for my shots for months and am happy with my results so far for a rookie. I just got a MacBook Pro and after trying a few apps decided that PSE 9 would be a good next stage for my photography. I just loaded the PSE 9 tonight so am very new to it though have been reading and watching tutorials on it and attending a class on it next week. My question is should I continue to do initial RAW processing in DPP then copy the JPEGs over to PSE and put the fine touches on there or is there a way to do all of the RAW work in PSE and then convert there and do the the PP?

Thanks in advance for advice!

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 25, 2011 22:40 |  #2

Spend some time working with the PSE Raw processor (Adobe Camera Raw). It's a very good processor, although you may initially get a bit thrown off by the fact that unlike DPP you actually typically need to do some development work.

It wouldn't hurt for you to pick up the bood Real World Camera Raw by Jeff Shewe (his co-author died not too long ago):

http://www.barnesandno​ble.com …s5-jeff-schewe/1021376576 (external link)

It should be said that the Elements version of Camera Raw is "trimmed down" from the full CSx version. But Mac users with Elements 8 were able to access the full version by a little workaround. I don't know if this works for Elements 9, though -- maybe a Mac user with PSE 9 can chime in...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 25, 2011 23:00 |  #3

Thanks, I am looking at an abstract of the book now. I will show my PSE naivety and ask if I need to download ACR or is it in PSE?

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 26, 2011 07:20 |  #4

Camera Raw comes with PSE. When you shoot a Raw file and open it in PSE, Camera Raw opens, right?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 26, 2011 16:44 |  #5

Yes it opens. Figuring it out as I go. Lots of reading to do.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 26, 2011 17:01 |  #6

What sort of editing are you trying/wanting to do? Its easier to help with specific things rather than just general help.

So, to be helpful, Ill take resizing and sharpening. I post all photos here and on facebook (since FB will only allow up to 750 pixels on the longest side) at 750 pixels on the longest side. So, when you have a photo looking the way you want, I use this method.

1. Go to image, resize, Image size
2. At the bottom, make sure all three boxes are checked (Scale Styles, Constrain Proportions and Resample Image) Then, the bottom selection make "Bicubic Sharpener"
3. Then, in the top box, make sure the right selections say "Pixels" and make the longer side (larger number) 750.
4. Push the Z button to zoom in and click until you are at 100% zoom.
5. Go to Enhance menu and click on Unsharp Mask.
6. I usually use numbers around these amounts but your results may vary depending on subject and image.

Amount - 90
Raduis - .9
Threshold - 0

Save that file somewhere (I dont overwrite the original size) at quality 10

Now this pic looks great on here or on FB and isnt too large to post or upload.

Shane
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Workflow suggestions for a PSE 9 newby
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.