Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 06:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This is a first for me????

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 28, 2011 06:20 |  #1

I had an interesting first time request from one of my clients and I would like to get some opinions from other wedding pros before I give my client an answer to their question......:
Let say "Aunt Sally" took a few pics that my client wants me to put in their wedding album.
What would you do???

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
Stone-Rogers
169 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 28, 2011 06:25 |  #2

Give them what they want and get paid.

www.stone-rogers.com (external link)

gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 28, 2011 08:10 |  #3

I would prob do it... id def put "photo by Sally Shutter" under it tho... since my name is on the album

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 28, 2011 09:06 |  #4

I would not do it.
I see an album as a single piece. Not just a collection of photos. It should tell a story. So every photo needs to fit perfectly with all the others.

But that's probably just me.

Whatever you do, make sure you get the paperwork taken care of. You don't want "Aunt Sally" coming after you over copyright infringement.

Executive ­ Images ­ Photo
835 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 28, 2011 09:45 |  #5

^^^ I agree. The wedding album is a collection of MY WORK. Not of Aunt Sally or Uncle Bob or anyone else. I would tell her that Im sure walmart sells nice photo books if she wants to make her own. lol

WEBSITE: www.ExecutiveImagesPho​tography.com (external link)
GEAR: Canon 5D MK2 --- Canon 7D --- Canon 20mm f2.8 --- 24-70mm F2.8L --- 70-200mm F2.8L IS

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 28, 2011 09:54 |  #6

You can always put an extra page or two at the back for "Photos from Friends and Family"

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 28, 2011 09:56 |  #7

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12836988 (external link)
I would not do it.
I see an album as a single piece. Not just a collection of photos. It should tell a story. So every photo needs to fit perfectly with all the others.

This, but ...

sspellman wrote in post #12837220 (external link)
You can always put an extra page or two at the back for "Photos from Friends and Family"

This is a great idea!

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

ndelacova
95 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 28, 2011 10:13 |  #8

I would do it. When she shows the album to her friends, perhaps when she comes across her Aunt's pictures, she will mention how nice you were that you even let her include other peoples pictures in it. It just shoiws that you were willing to work with her to satisfy her. In the long run, I think what you are most interested in is a happy customer.

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 28, 2011 10:53 as a reply to  @ ndelacova's post |  #9

I am torn on the subject. I agree that it's my name on the album, but I also like the idea of putting a page or 2 for "Photos from friends and family." This might be enough to get your name out.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 28, 2011 11:07 |  #10

I still don't like it.

The idea of adding extra pages for "photos from friends and family", feels like an anticlimax to me. It's kind of like when you watch a film and the ending is just perfect and then after the credits, there is another scene that just kills that feeling.

I have on the other hand seen a few photographers do the whole "put cameras on all the tables" rutine, that alot of hosts have been doing for years.
It's more than a little cliche, but the sheer volume of photos is bound to yield enough decent (or even good) shots, to make a whole separate album.

I actually like that idea, and the guests usually have fun with it.
And considering the prices of decent compacts these days, the value for money is very good.

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 28, 2011 13:32 |  #11

Thanks for your input. I am kind'a torn on the idea too. On one hand, do what you have to do to please the customer and on the other hand, I gotta have a copyright release to make money from 'Aunt Sally's" images... Arrggg.....

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,965 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 28, 2011 13:59 |  #12

sspellman wrote in post #12837220 (external link)

Great idea . . . remember, a happy client passes around the good word of mouth to your next clients, and refusing to accomodate could result in negative word of mouth . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 28, 2011 15:03 |  #13

I would do it for the above reason. I don't want a pissed client. Plus it's the BRIDE's album not the photorapher's after all. :)

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 28, 2011 16:05 |  #14

I have done it on the odd occasion. Once there was a slideshow presentation done by the Bride during her speech. I integrated almost the entire thing into a double page special design and layout graphically designed which showed it was clearly from others. Hard to explain without showing but I can't post a link I'm afraid.

Another time the Groom had some "dancing pants" which he wore well after I had left the wedding. Florescent strips on them etc. As I had taken candid's of most of the guests I integrated it into the family and friends shots I took which can at the end of their book.

I don't think I'd do it for the main part of an book though as that is where I "do my thang".

Peter

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 28, 2011 18:47 |  #15

I am fine with it. I have done it too.
Don't really see it as any different then putting in my second shooters work.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,087 views & 0 likes for this thread
This is a first for me????
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.