Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opening jpegs in CS5 raw

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2011 14:55 |  #1

Ran into a problem. Going into EDIT and Preferences and file handling. I want to open jpegs in raw so when I select the Camera Raw pref. I get an error saying that the version of photoshop I have cannot complete the requested operation.

Think it is a registry problem after I cleaned a virus out last week? Anyone else face this? If so what was the cure?

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 28, 2011 15:05 |  #2

It would help if you state what version of Photoshop you have.

Gear List

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2011 15:37 |  #3

PixelMagic wrote in post #12838937 (external link)
It would help if you state what version of Photoshop you have.

He's using CS5 according to the subject line.
Unless he's trying to use a version of ACR that is for CS5 with PS Elements or an older version of PS CS* that is not supported for current versions of ACR. In which case then he would get that error message.

@ OP
You should be able to set the preference in Photoshop to automatically open Jpegs and Tiffs into Camera Raw.
Edit > Preferences > File Handling > Camera Raw Preferences > Jpeg and Tiff Handling. Make sure you have selected "Automatically open all supported Jpegs"

However that does address the question to way you're getting the error message.
If you have the right version of ACR for your version of PS, The only thing I would recommend for that would be re-install Photoshop from the original CD, If you're recovering from a virus something probably go corrupted. Make sure you get all updates and that you have the most recent version of ACR for your version of Photoshop..

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2011 17:27 as a reply to  @ tkerr's post |  #4

Ok..yeah I'm using CS5, I installed it from the original cd and installation went just fine but when I go and click on the Camera Raw Preference button under File Handling that is when I get the error. There is an update out there for camera raw and cs5 making it 12.04 so I'll run those updates and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work the I'd say my registery is corrupted and I will most likely have to run recovery and wipe the drive and start all over. I'm running Vista 32bit.

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2011 18:17 |  #5

Before you do a complete system recovery and wipe the drive. Have you completely uninstalled Photoshop and then clean the registry of any Photoshop CS5 Entries before you reinstalled it from the CD?

Tim Kerr

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2011 20:24 |  #6

tkerr wrote in post #12839783 (external link)
Before you do a complete system recovery and wipe the drive. Have you completely uninstalled Photoshop and then clean the registry of any Photoshop CS5 Entries before you reinstalled it from the CD?

I totally removed it and even manually deleted all the folders that add/remove did not remove.

I don't know how to remove the registry entries..can you enlighten me on how to do that? I delete keys from the registry all the time on programs I remove, I just do a search for 'yahoo' or whatever I'm working with. Do I do the same thing with Cs5? Seems like there would be a lot of ways it is listed..how can I find them all?

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 28, 2011 21:26 |  #7

Shooting wrote in post #12840341 (external link)
I totally removed it and even manually deleted all the folders that add/remove did not remove.

Did you remove all the CS5 directories in your User Directory in the AppData Folder/Directory when you uninstalled it? Something could been corrupted in there.

Click on your User Folder/directory
in the top menu - Tools > open the Folder Options
Select the View Tab and Click "Show hiddent files, folder, and drives.

Now you will be able to see the AppData Folder were you will find more Adobe Folders in
AppData > Local
AppData > LocalLow
and
AppData Roaming. That's were ACR resides.

You will want to become familiar with these folders because that is where you might have to locate any third party ATN's, some plugins and other gadgets you might accumulate over time in order for them to work.

I don't know how to remove the registry entries..can you enlighten me on how to do that? I delete keys from the registry all the time on programs I remove, I just do a search for 'yahoo' or whatever I'm working with. Do I do the same thing with Cs5? Seems like there would be a lot of ways it is listed..how can I find them all?

Open RegEdit and use the Find tool to search for all entries related to CS5 or Adobe then remove them. Back Up First and create a Restore Point!
http://support.microso​ft.com/kb/136393 (external link)
http://support.microso​ft.com/kb/256986 (external link)

Tim Kerr

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 28, 2011 22:47 |  #8

What application is currently associated with opening JPEGs?

I would suggest you use the script from Adobe's website to ensure a clean uninstall: Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool. (external link)

Gear List

NotASpeckOfCereal
294 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 28, 2011 23:26 |  #9

tkerr wrote in post #12840621 (external link)
Did you remove all the CS5 directories in your User Directory in the AppData Folder/Directory when you uninstalled it? Something could been corrupted in there.

Open RegEdit and use the Find tool to search for all entries related to CS5 or Adobe then remove them. Back Up First and create a Restore Point!

May be a bit drastic if you have other Adobe apps loaded.

Try Revo uninstaller.

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 29, 2011 00:32 |  #10

When I see weird problems crop up one of the earliest and most useful tools I turn to is System Restore. Pick a date prior to when the problem came up and run it. It can save a lot of headaches:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 29, 2011 14:59 |  #11

tkerr wrote in post #12840621 (external link)

Click on your User Folder/directory
in the top menu - Tools > open the Folder Options
Select the View Tab and Click "Show hiddent files, folder, and drives.

Now you will be able to see the AppData Folder were you will find more Adobe Folders in
AppData > Local
AppData > LocalLow
and
AppData Roaming. That's were ACR resides.

You will want to become familiar with these folders because that is where you might have to locate any third party ATN's, some plugins and other gadgets you might accumulate over time in order for them to work.

Ok, I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9.0 so I can't remove anything related to Adobe because it would mess that up. I'll see what I can do..thank you.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 29, 2011 15:00 |  #12

tonylong wrote in post #12841356 (external link)
When I see weird problems crop up one of the earliest and most useful tools I turn to is System Restore. Pick a date prior to when the problem came up and run it. It can save a lot of headaches:)!

Sounds good..but wouldn't the restore still have the virus. I have already removed CS5 so if I did a restore would CS5 still be back on there?

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 29, 2011 15:01 |  #13

PixelMagic wrote in post #12840974 (external link)
What application is currently associated with opening JPEGs?

I would suggest you use the script from Adobe's website to ensure a clean uninstall: Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool. (external link)

Ok that sounds good. Right Now when I click on a jpeg, picture mover is what opens them and I can open them fine in CS5..I just cannot even get to the raw preferences to have ACR open them in CS5.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 29, 2011 15:19 |  #14

Shooting wrote in post #12844472 (external link)
Sounds good..but wouldn't the restore still have the virus. I have already removed CS5 so if I did a restore would CS5 still be back on there?

Wll, you don't know if a virus is the problem at this point, right? A system restore to a known good place can't hurt, anyway.

Shooting wrote in post #12844477 (external link)
Ok that sounds good. Right Now when I click on a jpeg, picture mover is what opens them and I can open them fine in CS5..I just cannot even get to the raw preferences to have ACR open them in CS5.

Do you have Bridge still installed? I would hope so...

In Bridge you can go to the Edit menu and it should have a "Camera Raw Preferences" option in there and it will have the settings to open jpegs and tiffs in Camera Raw.

But, that will only happen if you open the image from Bridge. Camera Raw is not an executable "program" that you can open by just double-clicking a file from your explorer. It can only be accessed from either Bridge or the Photoshop editor (or maybe another Adobe program, I don't know about that).

So, once you set the preference in Bridge, use Bridge to browse your images and double-click on one and it should open in Camera Raw.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 29, 2011 15:55 |  #15

After reading one of the OP's replies above it sounds as though ACR Didn't install.
Trying to access the Camera Raw Preferences is when he is getting the Error message.

@OP
Try setting the Camera Raw Preferences from Adobe Bridge and see if you get the same error. If you do then ACR is either Corrupted or for some reason it didn't instal. You can download it individually from Adobe.

Tim Kerr

sponsored links

1,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opening jpegs in CS5 raw
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.