Hannah and her mom were a troopers getting out in 105 heat index weather to let me try a few new things. The humidity was a killer but the chance to experiment was very rewarding.
1. We liked the old door so did a few shots there. Elinchrom Ranger with large softbox camera left.
2. I have been wanting to play around with my Singh-Ray Vari ND filter for some portrait stuff so this was a good opportunity. Mom held a scrim to put her in a shadow, Ranger and softbox camera right. 5D Mk II, 135 f/2 lens shot at ISO 100 f/2.8 1/160. Without the ND, background was f/11 - 13. Very nice to be able to shoot with strobes at f/2.8 in full sun.
3. Same setup as #2 just a wider shot.
4. Switched the ND filter to 85 f/1.8 but shot at f/2.8 again. Ranger and large softbox was camera left this time. Without ND filter background was f/10-11.
5. Same setup as #4 just different crop. Yes, she does have a normal left had. I was the idiot that said, "Put it on the corner of the bridge" making her look like the victim of a farming accident.
6. Shots 4 and 5 were outside a covered bridge near where we live. We moved inside the bridge and played around with some different lighting setups. This was Ranger with 20 degree grid high, right and behind her, Ranger with big softbox camera left for fill and mom holding a bare 580 EX II left and behind her for a rim light. 1/160, ISO 100, 85 f/1.8 at f/11.
7. Ranger and large softbox camera left with mom holding the 580 right and back for rim. 85 f/1.8, ISO 100, f/8
8. Ranger and large softbox almost overhead with mom and the 580 behind her. 85 f/1.8, ISO 100, f/8