Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Jul 2011 (Friday) 09:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Changes for my 1DIV

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jul 29, 2011 09:16 |  #1

Searching for Lens advice with 1.3x is kind of a pain so I'm asking the question here.

Currently I have a 1DIV with 50/1.8, 100L Macro, 24-105L and Samyang 14mm F2.8. My shooting style is more Portraits( single + small families of 4-5 members) and Events.

I know people suggest a zoom for weddings and events, but I always shoot with a 2nd photographer and he has a 17-40 & 24-105. So I'm not worried about not having a zoom for events. I'm just not liking the images my 24-105 puts out professionally. It's a good lens for vacation and family outings etc, but when I do a job and take pics with my 24-105 and 100mm L there is no comparison. The 100mm blows the 24-105 out of the water in terms of sharpness. So I'd like to get the same sharpness and contrast out of a wider prime and maybe purchase a cheapy Tamron for general vacation shots or Reception shots at weddings.

So I'm going to sell the 24-105 and I haven't decided on a prime. So for those of you with 1.3x cameras would you go with a:

35L
or
50L

Don't even bother mentioning Sigma's versions as I've had them and they are CRAP quality wise and never focused properly.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links
george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 29, 2011 09:21 |  #2

My 24-70 gives me excellent results.

Edit: I know, you said prime, but I just prefer a zoom for events where proper framing really counts, and the 24-70 is excellent from 2.8 and is also ( I think ) excellent from about 28 mm to 70mm.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

AzzKicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jul 29, 2011 09:34 |  #3

Hmm, so you think I should maybe forget the prime dream and get the 24-70? Is it sharper than the 24-105 do you know?

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 29, 2011 10:00 |  #4

Hmm, so you think I should maybe forget the prime dream and get the 24-70? Is it sharper than the 24-105 do you know?

Ruben,
For sure, I cannot tell you whether you prefer prime over zoom. I have a variety of both, and use them all. When it comes to zoom lenses, I try to buy and use the designs that have proven to be among the best performers, and I think ( my opinion, also some other folks as well ) the 24-70 does a very nice job. In my mind, in the sometimes quick moving world of event shooting where it can be crowded, etc, a zoom simply makes it more practical to get the shot I need.

I've shot with the 24-105, and while I think it's a great lens for "all around" use, I don't think it is near as good as the 24-70. To my eye, the quality of the BG blur ( I hesitate to use use the term "bokeh" here, because it tends to start lots of off topic arguments :D;) ) is simply better from the 24-70.

A combination I like to use is the 24-70 on one body and the 200 f/2 on a second body. These are 1.3 crop bodies. In a event where I have the opportunity to have a bag of gear nearby to grab from, I will often have the 70-200 2.8 on a third (FF) body.

Obviously everybody has their own way of doing things, and I will bet that someone will jump in here and state that I am "taking way too much gear" to cover an event, and come back with statements like, "I covered the Royal wedding with nothing more than a rebel/kit lens/pop-up flash". I'm just saying what works for me :D

If you haven't used a 24-70, I would recco borrowing or renting one for a test. See if you like it.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 29, 2011 11:15 |  #5

Well, the 24-70 is sharper than the 24-105 if you get a good copy. I have a good copy, but I've heard that others have had to go through a few to get a good copy. Plus you get an extra stop over the 24-105. It works well for portraits. I'm not sure if it would be long enough for events. The 50L sits in the middle of that focal range, wouldn't be quite as flexible as the 24-70, but allows even lower light capabilities and better IQ than the 24-70 at 50mm. You have to work around focus shift issues with the 50L, but it's workable. I tend to stop down to at least f1.8 because I find anything bigger to be too soft for my taste. Another great option is the 70-200 f2.8L IS Mk II (the new one). It's a great all-around lens everywhere in the 70-200 range. Great for portraits, if you have the room, and great for events. So some of this depends on the focal range that would suit your needs best.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

Rezolution
786 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 30, 2011 07:37 |  #6

The 24-70 can be a very sharp lens wide open at both ends if you get a good copy. However, I would recommend buy new from a trustworthy seller (BH, Adorama, Amazon, Etc.) and do your testing as well as use it in the field as soon as possible (to keep within your 30 day return period). It took me a couple of tries with used copies but I ended up with a new one. It's a very versatile lens and though its a bit heavy, it will also give you far better low light performance. The 1D/24-70 combo is pretty heavy (especially if you use a flash bracket) but you will probably have a better overall experience with it over a prime. With the MK IV's ISO performance I think you'd have an awesome combo.

Fuji X-T1 I 10-24 I 23 I 35 I 56 I 18-55 I 55-200
Sony A7R MKII I 35 f1.4 I 55 f1.8 I 135 f1.8 I 16-35 f4 I 70-200 f4 I RX100 MKII I Elinchrom Quadra

sponsored links

998 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Changes for my 1DIV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.