Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 30 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IE Users Dumber?

this thread is locked
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 30, 2011 11:41 |  #1

An online study performed recently by the metrics company AptiQuant seems to point in that direction (study link (external link)). Thinking about changing now? You can take a look here (link (external link)). Remember, these are averages, so there were brilliant as well as really dumb people in every catagory - it's just that IE has a larger portion of the latter.

sponsored links
toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 30, 2011 13:02 |  #2

An online IQ assessment test was offered on our website. Most of the subjects came to the website either by organic searches from search engines, or advertisements put on various search engines for keywords targeting users who were looking for a free online IQ test.

Or IE just has the worst adblocking :rolleyes:

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 31, 2011 00:18 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

It's probably linked to the fact that the majority of computer users are using windows PCs, and windows comes with IE. Those with lower IQs might not be aware of, or even care about what browser they're using.

I have friends who refer to their IE shortcut as "the internet"

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2011 09:59 |  #4

My wife saw this article last night and asked me what version of IE was on an old laptop I use...I explained I don't know, I use Chrome.

hockeyplaya13
247 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2011 22:54 |  #5

sbattey wrote in post #12850816 (external link)
It's probably linked to the fact that the majority of computer users are using windows PCs, and windows comes with IE. Those with lower IQs might not be aware of, or even care about what browser they're using.

I have friends who refer to their IE shortcut as "the internet"

This. I think they mentioned that it really probably isn't that dumb people prefer IE specifically. Rather it's that IE is the default, and less intelligent people are less likely to go change the default as they don't have demanding uses or anything.

Canon 40d: EF-S 18-55mm: EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS: EF 50mm f/1.8: 430ex

http://scottthompson.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)
Indiana University 2013- Kelley School of Business
Finance/Accounting/Eco​nomic Consulting

tkadrum
Goldmember
2,382 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 31, 2011 23:01 |  #6

MaxxuM wrote in post #12848245 (external link)
An online study performed recently by the metrics company AptiQuant seems to point in that direction (study link (external link)). Thinking about changing now? You can take a look here (link (external link)). Remember, these are averages, so there were brilliant as well as really dumb people in every catagory - it's just that IE has a larger portion of the latter.

^ THIS is a classic example of TROLL.

Yes, you can call me Tom

AlanZ
297 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 31, 2011 23:11 as a reply to  @ tkadrum's post |  #7

Just curious what browsers are high IQ people using?

7D | Speedlite 430EX II x 3 + PixelKing | 70-200 f/2.8 II | 24-70 f2.8L | 50mm 1.8
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/alanzhaonys (external link)
500px: http://alanzhao.500px.​com/ (external link)

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2011 23:34 |  #8

tkadrum wrote in post #12855202 (external link)
^ THIS is a classic example of TROLL.

My goal was not to disrupt the continuity of the group, but to spotlight the willingness or lack thereof of change, as the study seems to point toward. Akin perhaps to "who moved my cheese". On a purely anecdotal level I also wondered if people in photography used IE vs other browsers. I use Safari for instance.

This is a big study too, so I thought it was relevant.

tkadrum
Goldmember
2,382 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 31, 2011 23:52 |  #9

MaxxuM wrote in post #12855323 (external link)
My goal was not to disrupt the continuity of the group, but to spotlight the willingness or lack thereof of change, as the study seems to point toward. Akin perhaps to "who moved my cheese". On a purely anecdotal level I also wondered if people in photography used IE vs other browsers. I use Safari for instance.

This is a big study too, so I thought it was relevant.

I don't want to go there. BUT if someone to review your posts, you are pro Apple and using this opportunity to trash Microsoft.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy. I've iMac 24 , iPad, Dell Studio XPS 15 and HD Windows Phone 7. I'm fed up with MS vs Apple from ifanboys.

Yes, you can call me Tom

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 01, 2011 00:52 |  #10

tkadrum wrote in post #12855424 (external link)
I don't want to go there. BUT if someone to review your posts, you are pro Apple and using this opportunity to trash Microsoft.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy. I've iMac 24 , iPad, Dell Studio XPS 15 and HD Windows Phone 7. I'm fed up with MS vs Apple from ifanboys.

It didn't even occur to me that someone might take it that way. I guess if you don't know that I manage a very large PC network it might be seen as such, but I assure you that was not the case. More over, the top browsers are all cross platform save Camino, so that rules out any Apple fandom.

Like I said, this is rather big news (CNN, FoxNews, and so on). As for not "going there", you're blazing that trail, not I.

tkadrum
Goldmember
2,382 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 01, 2011 01:14 |  #11

Anyone who would take the results of this sort of sample seriously does not need to take a test to assess their intelligence - its self disclosing... That's all I'm saying.

Yes, you can call me Tom

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Aug 01, 2011 01:34 |  #12

MaxxuM wrote in post #12855686 (external link)
Like I said, this is rather big news (CNN, FoxNews, and so on).

Slow news day, I guess.

This study seems like a good example of the old saying that statistics never lie but liars often use statistics.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 01, 2011 08:57 |  #13

krb wrote in post #12855842 (external link)
Slow news day, I guess.

This study seems like a good example of the old saying that statistics never lie but liars often use statistics.

I think the the old saying is

"There are liars, damned liars, and statisticians"

Mark Twain

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 01, 2011 10:51 |  #14

tkadrum wrote in post #12855762 (external link)
Anyone who would take the results of this sort of sample seriously does not need to take a test to assess their intelligence - its self disclosing... That's all I'm saying.

Bingo.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 03, 2011 04:11 |  #15

Hoax: http://dwellonit.tater​unino.net …ax-study-into-iqbrowsers/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
IE Users Dumber?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.