Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gent street moment

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 30, 2011 21:22 |  #1

So one of the hard drives in my laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago...of course, the one with my entire photo library on it. Very sadly, I discovered that while I had backed it up recently enough to save 99% of my pictures, I did lose the entire 1500-or-so shots from a trip to Belgium in the beginning of the summer. I had uploaded a few zips of "best-ofs" for my gf at reduced size (something like 2400x1600), so it wasn't a total loss (and Aperture resized them effectively enough that most of those will be printable up to 12x18)...but it's freaking awful to lose all of those RAWS.

Cut to tonight: I find one of my favorite 5 or 6 shots from the trip in full-sized, PP'd JPEG format. It's a bit oversharpened and retrievably oversaturated, but I was thrilled that a hi-res version still existed. So, I offer it up for criticism. I'm particularly interested in the PP on the color, as I can't seem to get it quite to where I'm happy. Please do your worst on everything, though...I really want this to be a successful image, but I don't want to go around printing it if it sucks!

Note that this'll be printed at 12x18 or higher, which will take advantage of the niftiest aspect of the shot: the girl staring oddly at the approaching biker.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

A crop of the aforementioned starer, cruelly robbed of her color profile:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
Roostonmylens
95 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 30, 2011 22:06 |  #2

I like it! There's the obvious focal point of the guy on the bike, but there's also enough stuff to keep my busy once I've looked at him :)
I think the saturation on just the rider should be reduced a bit though. It's usually a good indicator that you've over saturated when skin turns pink/orange.
Maybe crop it so the guy on the bike isn't so deep in the corner of the image either.
Very nice :)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jul 30, 2011 22:43 |  #3

You might want to play with a 2:1 or even a 3:1 panoramic crop.....there seems to be a lot of eye distractions in the upper 1/3 of the image....With a crop right above the the arched roof building, your attention is brought down to street level where things are happening.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2011 01:07 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #4

I LOVE all the repeating circulars on the lowest level , then the scroll/language signage,the panes, the rectangles, the brick,ETC!!!!!!

I would buy this because of all this,and I never once looked at her looking at the bike rider;)

And not to be *artsy* but a very smooth B&W could be very Parisienne

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 31, 2011 04:25 |  #5

Excellent work - I'm glad you were able to retrieve something.

David

David

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2011 11:18 |  #6

Thanks all! Woolburr, I had actually pondered the pano idea before. I think it's a matter of how much of the sidewalk should stay in. I'll give it a shot! Unfortunately the photo is already a bit cropped, and the original uncropped version is lost forever.

Flo, I've tried B&W (I'm a big B&W fan), but it seems to take away a lot of the impact from this particular image. Might give it another crack, though.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2011 11:24 |  #7

cptrios wrote in post #12852324 (external link)
Thanks all! Woolburr, I had actually pondered the pano idea before. I think it's a matter of how much of the sidewalk should stay in. I'll give it a shot! Unfortunately the photo is already a bit cropped, and the original uncropped version is lost forever.

Flo, I've tried B&W (I'm a big B&W fan), but it seems to take away a lot of the impact from this particular image. Might give it another crack, though.

I love it as is!!!! Was only wondering what it would look like, but I agree, the colors in this are striking.

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2011 11:46 |  #8

Flo wrote in post #12852348 (external link)
I love it as is!!!! Was only wondering what it would look like, but I agree, the colors in this are striking.

Well it was wrong of you to suggest, and you can't blame me for being as horribly offended as I am. :D

Ask and ye shall receive! Here are a few options. I imagine some middle ground would probably be best if this were the route I was going to take. (And yes, Silver Efex Pro is the best plugin ever).

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And while I'm at it, what the heck:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thanks for bearing with me me everyone!

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jul 31, 2011 12:01 |  #9

Losing the originals definitely stinks....being able to have the full frame to experiment with crops would certainly simplify things. Color is definitely the route to take....the b/w conversions just don't do justice.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

reneethomas
Demoted and banished by the TF
3,051 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2011 13:11 |  #10

I love it! Especially the final crop. Amazing what a crop can do. I loved the first original version but the crop is much more exciting for some reason to me.

Racquel is my real name
Gear List Flickr (external link) BugGuide (external link)Facebook (external link)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 31, 2011 16:32 as a reply to  @ reneethomas's post |  #11

Yep, you were totally on track with keeping the color version, and I still like the original, cropping loses so much texture and repeating shapes.

ctr7510
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2011 19:32 |  #12

I like the final crop. The original photo is cool, but I find myself looking at the top of the photo and my eyes get stuck on the wires and the reflections when you really want me looking at the bottom of the photo. I love the color version.

vtforester
22 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 31, 2011 20:11 |  #13

I agree that there is a bit too much to in the top of the photo and the colors are a bit over saturated. Try a crop above the green windows and see what you think of that. If you really want to accentuate the relationship of the rider and the woman, crop it even lower, just above the first windows and the "icicle" lights.

sarch99
339 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 01, 2011 10:21 |  #14

I really, really like your final crop. My first impression after looking at your original submission was that it was just too busy (too many wires, I guess) up top. Cropping all that chaos out created an awesome shot. Sorry you lost your originals.

Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 01, 2011 12:27 |  #15

Thanks again everyone...I'm definitely feeling the crop (not sure if it's that one exactly yet). This is far and away the most responses I've gotten for anything around here!

sponsored links

1,501 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gent street moment
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.