Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to do with extra lens?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 02, 2011 19:38 |  #1

You won both lenses, you should pay for both lenses and sell one on.

Why should the seller have to be inconvenienced because of your buying tactics. You should wait until the first auction has finished, then bid on the next item if you don't win. Bidding on more than one, than choosing which to buy if you happen to win two or more is not how you should deal on ebay.

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and, fortunately, it is rare for a winner to default on the deal. When it happens, it costs me in time and potential loss of a high bid, as I sell a number of linked items, so bidders tend to buy several different things at once. An unsold item, later relisted on it's own, will usually sell for less.

Like a land auction, you are legally committed to following through on the purchase. Ultimately though, it is unlikely that you would be taken to court over it, so it really comes down to whether you are an honourable person or not and make good on your commitment.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, and seems a bit unwelcoming to the site, but the fact that you are even thinking about doing this really annoys me.

sponsored links
Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 02, 2011 19:43 |  #2

What are the lenses? and how much of a deal did you get? maybe you could swing a profit if you cleaned one up a bit.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

nightcat
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 02, 2011 20:46 |  #3

cproaudio wrote in post #12866428 (external link)
24-105 4L I might not have enough money to pay for the second one. I've been looking for this lens on ebay for a few weeks now. I put a lot of auctions in my watch list. I guess I submitted an offer to one of the lens and forgot about it. I thought the seller was gonna turn it down since he turned down 6 other offers.

The key word here is "thought". There's an old saying in business... "never assume". You should get the great majority of your money back from that extra lens. Just list it on ebay with a price you can live with and see what happens.

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 02, 2011 21:13 as a reply to  @ post 12866736 |  #4

If you win an item in Ebay it is ethically wrong not to go through with the purchase unless you find the item is not as listed. The same applies to the marketplace in this forum. That's why it's safe to buy here - the members of this forum are ethical.

Richard
Gear

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,017 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 02, 2011 21:15 |  #5

pay for it...then the money you lose will cause you to never make that mistake again...sometimes lessons cost a lot more than just a couple bucks...

if you truly can't afford to pay for it, then tell the person, and hope they don't give you negative feedback....

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 02, 2011 22:20 |  #6

That lens sells very quickly. You will be glad that you followed through with it.

cproaudio wrote in post #12867125 (external link)
I've asked the second seller if he would cancel the sale without leaving me a neutral or negative feedback. If he says no then I'll go ahead and pay for. You guys might see a 24-105 lens here soon.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,029 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 02, 2011 22:23 as a reply to  @ rklepper's post |  #7

Pay for both lenses. You made a commitment to the seller. Besides, you might lose more future money as the result of a (rightous) bad feedback...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

nfbuckeye
128 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 02, 2011 22:47 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #8

It's simple, you win, you pay. You may try contacting the seller, explaining your mistake, and maybe he'll understand. If not, you own up to your mistake. I'm dealing with a non-payment on my Sigma 70-200 right now, and it's irritating. But this guy/gal has never answered any of my three attempts to contact him/her...if he/she simply explained to me that he/she made a mistake, I'd be inclined to let him/her out of it, but instead I've had to open a non-payment case and WILL leave negative feedback.

Canon 5D Mark II // Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 ZE // Canon 50mm f/1.2L // Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZE // Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L Mark II // Speedlite 430EX II // Leica D-Lux 5 Titanium Edition // Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 // Manfrotto 496RC2 Ballhead

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2011 22:50 |  #9

rklepper wrote in post #12867192 (external link)
That lens sells very quickly. You will be glad that you followed through with it.

No he wouldn't. The worst he could get is negative feedback, and the seller would be risking negative feedback. Sane sellers don't take that risk. They'll happily cancel.

My Gearlist

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2011 22:52 |  #10

RPCrowe wrote in post #12867222 (external link)
Pay for both lenses. You made a commitment to the seller. Besides, you might lose more future money as the result of a (rightous) bad feedback...

Those commitments mean nothing unless money changes hands. What is he going to do? Sue the buyer for not paying for something that he never received? Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback, as of early 2008. A neutral feedback will not have any effect, whatsoever.

My Gearlist

coolchu001
279 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 02, 2011 22:54 |  #11

So.... you're the one who got that UZ 24-105mm for $885... (I offered the seller that amount as well!)

Gearlist|Feedback|For Sale

nfbuckeye
128 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 02, 2011 22:56 |  #12

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12867388 (external link)
Those commitments mean nothing unless money changes hands. What is he going to do? Sue the buyer for not paying for something that he never received? Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback, as of early 2008. A neutral feedback will not have any effect, whatsoever.

You can't necessarily leave negative feedback, but you can warn other buyers of nonpayment in a comment. I've seen that done quite a few times.

Canon 5D Mark II // Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 ZE // Canon 50mm f/1.2L // Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZE // Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L Mark II // Speedlite 430EX II // Leica D-Lux 5 Titanium Edition // Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 // Manfrotto 496RC2 Ballhead

MOkoFOko
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 02, 2011 23:01 |  #13

nfbuckeye wrote in post #12867406 (external link)
You can't necessarily leave negative feedback, but you can warn other buyers of nonpayment in a comment. I've seen that done quite a few times.

As the seller, you can't ever leave negative feedback--just that simple. It's painlessly easy to avoid a non-payment strike.

A prudent buyer will explain the situation as quickly as possible and request a cancellation. In that case, the seller has little reason to turn him down. Ethics and morals... there's also Karma. If you're too much of a tightarse, you may end up getting bit in the bum. The most a seller can do is file a non-payment dispute. If the buyer is upset, all he has to do is follow through on payment, refuse delivery, and file a chargeback. Because of this, the seller loses the original shipping fee, then loses his non-payment dispute and ends up with a negative feedback and 1-star DSR ratings from an angry buyer. The "buyer" in this situation comes out completely unscathed. There's absolutely no way he could lose a chargeback in this situation.

Is it worth it to twist the arm of an unwilling buyer? Absolutely not.

My Gearlist

nfbuckeye
128 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 02, 2011 23:05 |  #14

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12867428 (external link)
As the seller, you can't ever leave negative feedback--just that simple. It's painlessly easy to avoid a non-payment strike.

A prudent buyer will explain the situation as quickly as possible and request a cancellation. In that case, the seller has little reason to turn him down. Ethics and morals... there's also Karma. If you're too much of a tightarse, you may end up getting bit in the bum. The most a seller can do is file a non-payment dispute. If the buyer is upset, all he has to do is follow through on payment, refuse delivery, and file a chargeback. Because of this, the seller loses the original shipping fee, then loses his non-payment dispute and ends up with a negative feedback and 1-star DSR ratings from an angry buyer.

Is it worth it to twist the arm of an unwilling buyer? Absolutely not.

Agree, absolutely with the bolded part. And like I said, in my case, if the buyer simply responded and explained their plight, I'd be inclined to walk away. But, I feel now, after three seperate (polite) attempts to contact them, I need to warn other sellers that this person stiffed me and didn't even bother to have a dialogue about their nonpayment. I don't NEED the money right now, and it doesn't hurt me to have to find another buyer, but some people list things because they NEED money in the short term.

If they feel the need to neg me back, I'll take that up with ebay.

Craign
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 02, 2011 23:08 |  #15

The fee for selling a Buy It Now item for $885 is $56.10 on eBay. Offer to send the seller that amount to cancel the transaction and leave nothing to indicate you backed out of the sale. That should also be a fair amount for you to pay as "tuition" in a lesson of life.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

sponsored links

2,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to do with extra lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.