Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 11:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Exclusivity / legal help

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 04, 2011 23:18 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

tracknut wrote in post #12878722 (external link)
Really, that's the tax law where you live?

Dave

Is just that he can't be caught, that's all. Not that he isn't going get taxed.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Aug 05, 2011 02:06 |  #17

fergus123 wrote in post #12869990 (external link)
I am not a photographer for a Living but I have the kit and I know what I am doing.

Then take photos for yourself, have fun and go home after event. Why do you feel you need to sell photos? Just because you think you know what you are doing? It's definitely not because you want to earn some money to pay off your equipment, because with those ridiculous prices you won't pay off even electricity needed to edit those photos on computer.
But hell... it's not about me, so do whatever you feel like.

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2011 13:58 |  #18

fergus123 wrote in post #12878679 (external link)
anyway I have all of the parents on my side and they understand the story. I am just doing everyone a favor!!
As for taxes, there shouldn't be any need because it is a 100% private event on private grounds and I am dealing in cash.

(i added to bottom of this post to clear up the US to UK thing)

yes the parents are going to take your side they will always do that so they can pay less, think for a second what type of event your at and how much it costs to participate

and regarding tax's YOU DO HAVE TO PAY THEM, it dose not matter if its a private event and its only cash, what it comes down to is this - if you have a sales tax in your state you have to collect and pay that,
and then for every dollar you make you must pay about %35 of that to the state and federal government

SO if your taking 3 photos and selling them for $10 and the cost to you for that would be about $1 (rounding up depending on where you print and how you package)
you made $9 from that 1/3 goes to tax's so now you made $6 per package,
now take into count the cost of: your time, travel , equipment wear, liability insurance (you do have insurance dont you), editing time, electricity cost, camera wear, clothing, food and drink, cost of hosting to sell photos,

i actually think your making a loss by now, but its ok your just trying to make a few people happy, not pay tax's and sell some under priced photos to people that at a horse riding event obviously have the money to spend

(SORRY I SEE YOU LIVEIN THE THE UK and being that i was born there i can tell you all the same things apply - just swap the word federal and state for goverment and the % are about the same - EXCEPT the % for sales tax is 17.5% and must be included in the price (not added after as in the US) so you aleady lose $1.50 from the top SO you are only getting $4.50 per packet )

View My Flickr (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 06, 2011 14:46 |  #19

The tax situation over here is that VAT (Sales tax to our American cousins) is only charged by businesses when they exceed a certain turnover (currently around $120K PA). Up until that point a small company does not have to charge VAT but cannot reclaim the tax on any purchases it makes. VAT is now 20% BTW - not 17.5%. Another drain on our pockets caused by your sub-prime mortgages :)

As he is operating as a "self employed" person for the purposes of this event Fergus should record his sales and expenses and declare the difference (Sales - Costs) as self employed income on his end of year tax return.

Depending on the amount of his other income he will then have to pay either 20% or 40% of his profit in tax. Either that or he can just forget to declare the income and nobody will (probably) be the wiser.

Working as his is however he is very unlikely to have any form of liability insurance and if he causes an accident or injures someone at the event then he is totally and royally screwed.

It would be the lack of insurance that worries me more than his defrauding the tax office out of £100 or so.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 06, 2011 14:50 |  #20

Actually, from reading this thread I find that many people have made certain assumptions :

1 - The OP has never stated that he has an Exclusive Agreement to cover this event.
2 - Even though the other photographer has been asked to be there by a parent it does not mean that the other photographer is shooting solely for that parent.

One thing hasn't been stated and that is if the other photographer regularly shoots for this club - it is unclear to me if you are stepping into her regular gig or if this is a one-off for both of you.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 06, 2011 14:58 |  #21

fergus123 wrote in post #12878679 (external link)
As for taxes, there shouldn't be any need because it is a 100% private event on private grounds and I am dealing in cash.

My guess is you know more about photography than you do about tax law :rolleyes:

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2011 15:04 |  #22

wow 20% i havent been home in 5 year so honest mistake,

the only point im trying to make in all this is the OP is saying she is being unprofessional in the way she in handling - that being said it looks like he shouldn't be selling anything to start with

View My Flickr (external link)

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 06, 2011 15:05 |  #23

We only have one side of the story here, I would love to hear it first hand from the other side :-)

Why on earth did you add the Book Worthy smilie to you OP?

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 06, 2011 17:52 |  #24

LONDON808 wrote in post #12888304 (external link)
wow 20% i havent been home in 5 year so honest mistake,

the only point im trying to make in all this is the OP is saying she is being unprofessional in the way she in handling - that being said it looks like he shouldn't be selling anything to start with

Agree with you 100%

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 06, 2011 18:48 |  #25

While I think it was probably handled wrongly by the pro photog, I can understand the frustration. When a pro who pays tax, licensing, insurance, etc. is undercut by someone who by passes all of the legalities simply because it's not their main job or they don't understand that by charging, they are now entering into the business realm, it can be frustrating. How can a pro (who pays taxes, licensing, insurance and has a studio with all of the associated bills) ever hope to compete with someone who chooses to ignore the tax code, local business laws, has no business location and over looks basic liability insurance?

fergus123
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 13, 2011 06:52 |  #26

what i didn't say is that i was asked to photograph the event before the other photographer. I dont give a **** if i under cut her. any way here is her website, http://www.everybodysm​ile.biz …ice/ponyclubcam​p2011.html (external link)

I would like to point out that i do not need to pay tax in the uk or have sales tax because I am under the threshold and i am dealing with cash. I had every right to sell my pictures and I made over £300 pounds and only about 5 people bought pictures off her!!!

Result for me

www.noideaproductions.​co.uk (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 13, 2011 07:18 |  #27

fergus123 wrote in post #12927506 (external link)
what i didn't say is that i was asked to photograph the event before the other photographer. I dont give a **** if i under cut her. any way here is her website, http://www.everybodysm​ile.biz …ice/ponyclubcam​p2011.html (external link)

I would like to point out that i do not need to pay tax in the uk or have sales tax because I am under the threshold and i am dealing with cash. I had every right to sell my pictures and I made over £300 pounds and only about 5 people bought pictures off her!!!

Result for me

What threshold are you on about?

I guess that this is a sideline for you and that you either have a day job or are student or are unemployed claiming benefit.

I'd like to see some of your shots - any chance of a link?

neil_r
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 13, 2011 07:33 |  #28

fergus123 wrote in post #12927506 (external link)

Result for me

You will have to declare those earnings, if you were to be 100% legal, you will also need to take out, if you have any shred of integrity a public liability insurance if you intend to carry on doing this.

Neil - © NHR Photography

fergus123
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 14, 2011 06:09 |  #29

Nightstalker wrote in post #12927537 (external link)
What threshold are you on about?

I guess that this is a sideline for you and that you either have a day job or are student or are unemployed claiming benefit.

I'd like to see some of your shots - any chance of a link?

I am still in University,

www.ferghk.tk (external link) here is a link

www.noideaproductions.​co.uk (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 14, 2011 19:00 |  #30

Thanks for the link - some decent shots there.

What r u studying @ uni BTW?

sponsored links

5,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Exclusivity / legal help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.