Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 03 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 14:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Which lens for a wedding?

tanner07
445 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 03, 2011 14:23 |  #1

Firstly apologies, because I admit I haven't got time to search the forums for a topic I'm sure has been asked a million times. I'm at work and quickly throwing this thread up on my break.

Anyways, I was just asked by a friend on very short notice if I could run out of town on Sunday to shoot his wedding...it's a very low-key thing, just a small 15 minute ceremony to legalize it all and he was wondering if I was interested in shooting a few pictures.

I'm not into portraits, or people, and I don't have any gear like this. I'm going to run to a rental place tomorrow and pick some stuff up, and I'm just looking for suggestions.

The ceremony will be outdoors and I shoot with a Rebel XT. So, lenses? Flash? Filters? Any suggestions?

Thanks you guys,

Wildlife, West Coast & Vancouver Island Photography (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 03, 2011 14:24 |  #2

17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/2.8 IS are the two I use most.

Gear List

SanchezPhotography
28 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 03, 2011 14:54 |  #3

I agree with the 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS.

I did my first wedding a month ago and that lens never came off my camera. It was great for low light situations as well because of the IS. And the zoom range is ideal for getting a large party in a shot but you can still zoom and set the aperture to 2.8 and get some nice bokeh as well.

Canon 7D | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f/1.4
http://www.JasonSanche​zPhotography.com/blog (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,277 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 03, 2011 15:28 |  #4

What lenses do you have?

17-55 and 85/1.8 would be good. If you have to stand a ways off, you might need a longer lens... but often would be better working in closer if possible and shouldn't be a problem at a small, informal wedding outdoors.

Outdoors you might get by without flash... move people into a shady setting though. Try not to shoot any of the more formal shots in high sun.

Fill flash can be useful, though. Especially if you are forced to shoot in high sun or mottled sunlight. So if you have an accessory flash, take it. (I don't recommend using a built-in flash) So long as you use Av or Tv or P, you'll automatically get fill flash, and depending upon the flash it might be that you can dial the fill up or down to be stronger or more subtle.

Best effects with flash are if you get it off-camera, away from the lens axis, on a shoe cord and a flash bracket. That reduces risk of redeye and ugly shadows.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII, 7D, M5 & others. 10-22mm, Meike 12/2.8,Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, EF-M 22/2, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Sigma 56/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS, 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link)

a_roadbiker
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 03, 2011 15:39 |  #5

I was recently at a similar type wedding in California for a friend of mine. They asked a friend (a professional photographer) to take pictures, nothing formal, but just to record the wedding. The photographer was using a 5D with the 24-70L lens. I have my camera with me and she immediately asked me to help. I was using my 40 with my 70-300 non-L (I didn't have the 24-105L yet) and was able to get some nice close-ups without being in the way. I used my 50 f/1.4 for a few shots too.

If I ever get into that situation again, I will be using my 24-105L, inside shots with my 580 EXII.

Jim

Click here to see a list of My Stuff

Visit my flickr (external link)
Like me on Facebook (external link)
www.jmaurophoto.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2011 16:10 |  #6

For an outside wedding I generally use my 24-105 most on a 5DII. Maybe the 70-200 a bit if I want some narrow angle stuff.

Something equivalent for crop would work. It's more about getting to the right place to get the shots.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 03, 2011 16:11 |  #7

dmward wrote in post #12872036 (external link)
For an outside wedding I generally use my 24-105 most on a 5DII. Maybe the 70-200 a bit if I want some narrow angle stuff.

Something equivalent for crop would work. It's more about getting to the right place to get the shots.

That lens would be great for outdoors on the FF. For a crop body, I find 24mm isn't wide enough. This is assuming outdoors while there is still plenty of light.

Gear List

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2011 16:16 |  #8

Numenorean wrote in post #12872050 (external link)
That lens would be great for outdoors on the FF. For a crop body, I find 24mm isn't wide enough. This is assuming outdoors while there is still plenty of light.

That's why I said equivalent. Which would be about 17-whatever. I know some wedding photographers that use a 17-200 for everything. Personally I like F2.8 so I can just use flash for highlighting rather than blasting.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

967 views & 0 likes for this thread, 6 members have posted to it.
Which lens for a wedding?
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.