Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 01:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much video do y'all do?

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 04, 2011 01:46 |  #1

My most modern camera purchase was a Canon G10. Before that, I had a Canon 40D. I never really used video on the latter because the video capabilities sort of sucked. And I never used the video capabilities on the former, because the video capabilities were sort of nonexistant.

But then, a few years later, I started seeing that HD video was sort of starting to become "the next big thing" on entry level DSLRs. And I actually looked at some viedeos that people shot with some of those cameras and thought, "wow...that actually looks pretty freaking good."

Then for a while, I was sort of thinking of upgrading, with HD video being one of my criteria (after all, I'd like to try out a DSLR's video capabilities). But then, I looked at my bank account and had to slap some sense into me. And I ultimately decided..."yeah, TRYING HD video capture with my DSLR might be cool. For a little while. But I'm having a hard enough time as it is getting the 'still picture' thing down, and am not the least bit ready to venture into 'motion picture' territory. And realistically...how much would I ever use that feature anyway?"

So...my questions for the people here who have cameras that are capable of decent video capture...

1) How does the quality compare to a device which is dedicated for capturing "motion picture" as opposed to "still pictures"?

2) Compared to the still photography capabilities of the cameras, just how much do you actually USE the video capabilities?

3) IF you primarily do still photography instead of video, then WHY? Is it due to interest (as in, if you wanted a video camera, then you would have bought one) Or is it more due to SKILL (as in, you would LIKE to try doing video, but you're still not confident about your still-photography skills and aren't yet ready to devote too much time to video right now)? Or, is it for some other reason entirely?

4) Exactly how difficult is it to make the transition from still photography to motion pictures?

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 04, 2011 06:30 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

When I was looking to go full-frame, I was looking at the 5D and the 5D MKII. The primary difference between the two was the video capability of the 5D. I was finding pre-owned MKII's for between $2,000 and $2,200. I found a 5D, with a grip, for $1,200.

I went with the 5D.

I don't do video, simply because it doesn't interest me. I didn't see a compelling reason to spend almost twice as much to get a camera with a feature that, quite frankly, I would never use.

If I need to shoot some quick video, I've got the G12, which is always with me...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 04, 2011 10:14 as a reply to  @ BreitlingFan's post |  #3

I shoot video for fun and not very much of them. Personally I would have preferred that the manufacturers just left the video functions in video cameras. I struggle with editing videos so I just do it for fun and it is best left to those that know what they are doing.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 04, 2011 11:27 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #4

Never I wish they would take video out of my 5DMKII and give me 500.00 back.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

666 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much video do y'all do?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.