Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Aug 2011 (Monday) 00:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need your help to recover a failed card's pictures.

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 00:41 |  #1

Hi! Long story short, I filled up a 2gb Lexar CF card during my vacation trip. Once full, I stored it in the camera bag. I come home, start unloading pictures of my cards but it does not work on this one. ''No picture''. But the computer can see that there is about 1800Mb of data on it. If I open the card, no files or folders show up.

I tried Photorescue Pro (which has worked for me in the past) but no luck. He can't find anything. Same for 2 others recovery software. In camera, it gives an error message: ''Unable to create folder''. Then it says ''No Image''.

Any tips on what I could do? I tried both with a CF read er and the camera.

All isn't lost right? I really need those pictures, some of the best from my vacations are on it :(

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 08, 2011 01:48 |  #2

Try more programs from the sticky.

So you're saying this has happened before? You probably should have replaced the card.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 01:51 |  #3

I already had a card failure with a Sandisk CF 4Gb card while I was using my 5D classic. This time, I was using a 5DmkII and a lexar card.

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 12:45 |  #4

Well, I got them back, partially. Looks like trying with ''only'' to programs wasn't enough. I tried 3 more and it worked with EASUS.

Thing is Lightroom tells me: File uses a color mode that isn't supported. My files are TIF files and around 1-2Mb each. 138Mb of data instead of the 1800Mb they should take. I can see all the image preview in windows explorer, but they won't open in DPP or LR.

I'll have to dig more :/

Hi, I'm David.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 08, 2011 12:51 |  #5

Do you shoot RAW? Could be that what you're seeing is the JPEG thumbnails, and the .TIF extension is applied because the program doesn't understand RAW, so uses the .TIF extension. Try renaming the files to have a .CR2 extension. Alternatively try running recovery with yet another application and see if it'll bring back files of the correct size, if what you're saying is that all recovered files total 138 MB. In that case, renaming the recovered files as .JPG would probably also let LightRoom open them.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 12:56 |  #6

Hi Jon, thanks for your help.

I was shooting RAW and you are right, what I can see is only the image preview. Maybe EASUS can't recognize CR2 files. Renaming to JPG didn't worked.

However, I did had one JPG shot on the card and EASUS recovered it perfectly.

I'm not doing the list one by one to find a program that will recover corrupted cards, not simply deleted pictures.

EDIT: Looks like my card is in FAT 16 mode.

Hi, I'm David.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 08, 2011 13:15 |  #7

Did you try the SanDisk RescuePro or the DataRescue PhotoRescue? Those are my two preferred applications.

However, if you were using the 5D2, the embedded JPEG files are pretty large, IIRC. So all may not be lost.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 13:24 |  #8

Sandisk's software wasn'T of help. However, I think I'm getting somewhere with DataRescue PhotoRescue.

I'm getting closer :)

Hi, I'm David.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2011 13:50 |  #9

Got them all back! DataRescue PhotoRescue did the work perfectly!

A big thanks to KLR and to you Jon for helping me out, you made a guy (and his girlfriend) very happy. :)

Hi, I'm David.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 08, 2011 13:55 |  #10

Glad to hear it.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 08, 2011 14:00 |  #11

Rivest wrote in post #12897907 (external link)
Got them all back! DataRescue PhotoRescue did the work perfectly!

A big thanks to KLR and to you Jon for helping me out, you made a guy (and his girlfriend) very happy. :)

Congrats! Now go get those cards replaced under warranty.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 18, 2011 08:06 |  #12

Given it's a 2GB card and you've had problems with it before, its time to throw it out.

That said, do you format the card in camera before each use? That helps cut down on file system corruption over time.

sponsored links

1,937 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need your help to recover a failed card's pictures.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.