Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Aug 2011 (Monday) 10:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help Deciding b/w T3i and G12

FIGJAM
32 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 08, 2011 10:29 |  #1

So I'm in the market for a camera. Been using nothing but point and shoots but just got engaged and feel that we might need a better camera to document our new adventures.

We are planning a 2 week honeymoon trip to Europe and would like a quality camera but that won't feel like a hassle to carry around. On amazon, I can get a T3i with the kit lens and EF-S 55-250mm for $888.95.

The alternative would appear to be a G12 for $469.00.

So the question is, given that we would keep this camera for a long time and our trip is far enough away that I would have time to learn how to use the T3i, does it make sense to spend almost twice the cost of the G12?

I'll check out the two cameras at a store and get a feel for the physical size difference, but what has your experience been using the T3i on vacation and would we be better off just getting the G12?

Thanks

Canon 6D | Canon 24-105mm f/4L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

sponsored links
Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 08, 2011 13:01 |  #2

G12.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 08, 2011 13:12 |  #3

I own the 60D, which is a great camera. The T3i has many of the same features, so I would recommend it to you highly. If you are planning to keep the camera for a long time, the T3i will give you lots of room to develop your photographic talents.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2011 13:24 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

The t3i is about as small as a DSLR gets. That being said, the G12 is a lot smaller.

If convenience is what you need, then the G12 is what you will want. But, if you don't mind carrying a medium sized bag around, the t3i will be an excellent choice.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,620 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 08, 2011 13:28 |  #5

Take a look at some of the m4/3 cameras too. Olympus EPL 2, panasonic GF2, sony NEX.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 08, 2011 14:51 |  #6

For the traveling you want to do, I would say the G12. The G12 is not as small as you may think it is, but it is much smaller than the T3i, especially with the 55-250 lens on it. The G12 will allow you to focus on the trip, and not the camera, which can be its own distraction because of size concerns, but that's just what I found carrying around my T2i in Germany.
You will need to keep in mind that the G12 is only 5x optical zoom I believe, so that's another consideration.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

FIGJAM
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 09, 2011 11:08 |  #7

We are most likely going to Paris for a couple of days and then take off on a European/Mediterranean cruise for 7 nights.

I took a look at the G12 in the store and while it was smaller, it still wasn't exactly pocketable. So my thoughts were to get the T3i and the S95 or future replacement. The T3i should be more than enough camera for us for the future and will give me an exciting new learning project.

We will wait on purchasing the S95 for the price drop that should be coming once the replacement is announced and released.

So, I went ahead and ordered the following for $1,000:

Canon EOS Rebel T3i with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens
Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card

The price didn't seem bad for the equipment and from what I have been reading should be more than enough to keep me busy learning.

Any tips on where to start the learning process? Also is it wise to invest in something like Lightroom at this point? I can get the education pricing.

Thanks

Canon 6D | Canon 24-105mm f/4L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

DL ­ Photo
577 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 09, 2011 11:18 |  #8

You made the right decision going with the DSLR. Also think you bought the right equipment for a starter.

You may want to pick up a copy of the Digital Field Guide for the T3i. Excellent book to get you started. The sooner that you can understand the camera, the photography lingo..the better. Also, the sooner that you can start shooting in manual mode the better.
http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1312906​377&sr=8-1 (external link)

The camera comes with Digital Photo Professional.....good starter software. I have never used Lightroom but shoot using manual mode, save as RAW use Photoshop all the time.

Enjoy and have a great trip.

G16
OMD-10 (absolutely love this little devil)

sponsored links

1,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help Deciding b/w T3i and G12
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.