Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Aug 2011 (Monday) 16:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you protect yourself

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 16:44 |  #1

I often wonder.....

I look at these craiglist ads "photographer needed for xyz location" do you ever wonder if it's legit if it's not some sort of psycho who is trying to lure you in and then take away your equipment? Not to mention might hurt you very badly? I am wondering how do photographers protect themselves?

Also traveling to 3rd world countries. I was thinking of going back to Russia one day to visit but being myself from there I know the crime there is quiet high. Moscow is #3 in world in crime. How do you protect yourself and your equipment? Looking how 7d goes for $2000, each lens is roughly another $1000-1500 so talking about $5000 worth of equipment hanging on your neck in foreign country.

I never see anyone talk about safety just wondering if anyone knows a good article/section

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 08, 2011 17:06 |  #2

Thats life, Thats what its all about,

Russia is not as bad as america has made them out to be, its a great place, we have the smae problems with orgnaised crime in america the big diffrence is we voted to keep them in power

as for craigslist and such - you could be takeing photos in any street in any country and get robbed, If you do get challenged hand it over and claim the insurance

View My Flickr (external link)

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 17:08 |  #3

LONDON808 wrote in post #12899079 (external link)

as for craigslist and such - you could be takeing photos in any street in any country and get robbed, If you do get challenged hand it over and claim the insurance

Do you insure your equipment? If yes through regular insurance co?

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 08, 2011 17:14 |  #4

alexdesign wrote in post #12899089 (external link)
Do you insure your equipment? If yes through regular insurance co?

You should anyways.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

alexdesign
THREAD ­ STARTER
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 08, 2011 17:54 |  #5

who do you insure it with regular insurance co? As personal property?

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 08, 2011 18:00 |  #6

You could leave your gear at home - the drawback with that is though that your home may be broken into and your equipment stolen while you're away on holiday :)

David

David

bior
348 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 08, 2011 18:23 |  #7

Russia isn't a 3rd world country.

Branden - amateur photographer for hire / bored systems administrator probably posting from work
Weapons of choice: 5D2 and a T3 / website will return soon

Photostock
161 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 08, 2011 21:07 |  #8

I've been doing a project with some homeless people and I always carry a knife where I can get to it quickly.

In my experience (living in places like Rio de Janeiro) you don't flash your gear on the streets too much unless you absolutely have to, and keep your eyes open. If you're really in the thick of it, you can hire a bodyguard.

5DmkII / 7D / 24-70L / 70-200 2.8L IS / 28 1.8 / Zeiss Planar T* 50 1.4 / Zeiss Planar T* 85 1.4 / Zeiss Sonnar T* 135 2.8 / 580exII

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 08, 2011 21:24 as a reply to  @ Photostock's post |  #9

Read about how photojournalists behave and operate. They work in some of the most dangerous places in the world with some of the most expensive equipment, and you have to believe they stand out. It comes down to respect, common sense, knowledge and chance among many other things.

flickr (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 08, 2011 22:17 |  #10

LONDON808 wrote in post #12899079 (external link)

Bingo. There are no guarantees in life and the other comments about insurance (which there are plenty of threads on) are very valid. I went to New Delhi, India and walked around some places that I didn't feel overly comfortable in but there I was. I made sure that I always had someone with me, the whole safety in numbers thing. At the time I was packing a 1DsMKII with a 24-70 and a 1DMKII with a 70-200. They got some interesting looks and some interesting discussions from those interested in the field.

If you are going to be constantly worried about what is going to be around the next corner then it is best to stay at home. There are some wonderful shots to be had in the other parts of the world and I really think that if you travel in at least pairs and you have your stuff insured for at least peace of mind you will be fine.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 08, 2011 22:24 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #11

bior wrote in post #12899471 (external link)
Russia isn't a 3rd world country.

Right, it's a 2nd world country.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Ugly ­ Joe
436 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 08, 2011 22:57 as a reply to  @ TheBurningCrown's post |  #12

Insurance is the best solution to your anxiety about potential theft.

Outside of that, keep in mind that a good tripod, with a 7D on the end makes one hell of a club.

"Hell is an eternity of getting up at 4am to nothing but decaf coffee..."
A good friend will help you move.
A true friend will help you move a body.
An old friend more than likely will pass on either because of a bad back.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 09, 2011 01:17 as a reply to  @ Ugly Joe's post |  #13

Hmmmmmm,, 3rd world countries? The term is no longer used since the collapse of the USSR.. Developing nations is now used.

Check out where live.. I get up into some of the remotest regions in SE Asia once or twice a year. Sparsely populated, remote and poverty strickened. I usually travel alone.

What kind of protection are you talking about? Guns, knives, sticks and stones?

I've never feared for my safety in these regions. In fact, I've found people incredibly friendly, hospitable and helpful.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 09, 2011 02:17 |  #14

My gear is insured. That's it.

Those who fear attack/injury/theft/et​c. make themselves easy targets. For those who would rob or harm you, the signs are easy to. And the all spell out "victim".
Believe it or not, most common street criminals are extremely good at reading people.

Those who carry weapons (anything from a stick to a RPG), thinking it will protect them, attract trouble for different reasons.
This is another form of weakness and just as easy to recognize. The main difference is that the force they will meet, is more likely to be violent in nature.

I have worked in some seriously dangerous places and like everyone else with the same experience, I can tell you that the only thing that really works, is to not make yourself a victim.
Apart from that, good insurance for your gear never hurts.

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 09, 2011 02:41 as a reply to  @ quiksquirrel's post |  #15

alexdesign wrote in post #12899308 (external link)
who do you insure it with regular insurance co? As personal property?

Don't know where you are, but if you go with State Farm they offer a Personal Articles policy. I have 12k coverage for ~$130 per year with them. No deductible, doesn't matter where you take your gear, and is completely separate from your other policies.

sponsored links

3,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you protect yourself
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.