Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 09 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2nd Wedding Blues - Lighting a big room

jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 08, 2011 23:20 |  #31

tim wrote in post #13222789 (external link)
There are heaps of light in the ceiling of that room! I know that when I did it, 4-6 of those little tea candles, really close to the person, wasn't much light.

Not really. The lights in the ceiling were really dim. They are not really lighting the couple. The light that is lighting them is a combo of candle light and my bounced flash. In fact, you can see the candle light illuminating their hands.

I shot this at ISO 6400, f/3.2 @1/60 sec.

All I'm trying to say is that you can get candle light shots that look natural and use some strobe light.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 08, 2011 23:45 |  #32

But back to the topic at hand. Large rooms. This is from my wedding tonight. Brick walls so no bouncing my flash. I set up one light on the balcony, camera left aimed at the middle of the dance floor. Another light firing thru an umbrella was set camera right. There was a lot of room to work with so setting up a tall light stand/umbrella combo was no big deal. ISO 1600, f/3.2 @ 1/60 sec. I should have gelled my lights but I didn't.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …20wedding/bigro​om-101.jpg (external link)

For the closer shots (shot with my 70-200) I used a bit of fill flash along with my two off camera lights. The on-camera flash was set to - 2/3 or - 1/3 EV.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …20wedding/bigro​om-102.jpg (external link)

I'm not saying this is the best way to light a large room but it's how I did it for this particular venue.

kellmeister
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 09, 2011 13:26 |  #33

Nice lighting jcolman!

Do you find that using a light pointing down from the balcony produces any shadows or "racoon eyes" on people? Are you snooting the light at all?

Your second light (camera right) was on the floor, right?

Canon 5d Mark II - 24-70 f2, 70-200 2.8 mk2, Sigma 50mm F1.4, 85mm f1.8, 35mm f2, 580exII, AB400 x 2, AB800 x 2
Rolleiflex 6003 - 80mm

jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 09, 2011 13:47 |  #34

kellmeister wrote in post #13225405 (external link)
Nice lighting jcolman!

Do you find that using a light pointing down from the balcony produces any shadows or "racoon eyes" on people? Are you snooting the light at all?

Your second light (camera right) was on the floor, right?

Most of my shots in this venue are shot with the balcony light providing either side or back light so I'm not using it as a key light. Racoon eyes typically are produced by bouncing the light off the ceiling where the light then comes from nearly directly above the subject. The balcony light is more of a 45-50 degree angle. I didn't use a snoot on this light as I wanted it to light the entire dance floor.

The second light is on the floor but it's about 12' high.

Emilv
69 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 09, 2011 14:53 |  #35

love it jcolman! I'm just curious with the 2nd photo. The on camera flash for fill, did you used any bounce card or direct flash? I love the effect on the brides face!

Gear List: Canon 7D , Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 135mm f2.0, Sigmalux 50mm f/1.4; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II

jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 09, 2011 19:42 |  #36

Emilv wrote in post #13225660 (external link)
love it jcolman! I'm just curious with the 2nd photo. The on camera flash for fill, did you used any bounce card or direct flash? I love the effect on the brides face!

I used a Joe Demb bounce card on my flash. It helps in two ways. One, it raised the light a bit higher above the lens which is always good and second, it gives me a slightly wider light source, which means a slightly softer light. It's not much of a difference but it helps.

Emilv
69 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 10, 2011 04:22 |  #37

it may not be of much difference for you but for me its more because I love how you expose your subject as if you're not using flash for your fill. Thank you very much for sharing!!!!

That's what I like with POTN, we get a lot of idea from a lot of people like you, Tim, Loyyd just to name a few!

Gear List: Canon 7D , Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 135mm f2.0, Sigmalux 50mm f/1.4; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II

kellmeister
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 17, 2011 21:17 |  #38

Thanks everyone for the advice.

However, once I got the reception they had more lights up then my test so I was able to pull in 1600iso @ F4.

I had gone ahead and set up crosslighting (stage right, upper balcony, and in the back left corner of the room). However, I had a couple of different guests that saw my strobes and requested that I not use them. Does this happen often?

Luckily, I didn't really need the strobes as I was able to get some nice shots using just bounce flash. Otherwise, I would have used them anyway if the lighting had been really bad.

Anyway, this was my first real wedding. It was extremely stressful and I got maybe 4 hours of sleep the night before thinking about it. The actual wedding wasn't as bad as the fear of doing it.

A few things I learned that might help others:

1) I usually shoot manual but decided to use AV. I quickly learned that I was not to using AV and it took me a while to get used to it.

2) I had a couple of moments where I just couldn't figure out the right settings with the lighting conditions. Took a little time to get back on track and not get rattled.

3) My only food for 7 hours were two power bars and some gatoraid. Make sure your stocked up with something to eat.

4) I brought mono lights for the formals and it seemed like it took forever to setup. I did do it before the service, but it took me away from getting more shots of the b&g getting ready. I'm going to spend invest more time in using strobes instead.

5) I had a couple of guys that did more shooting during the reception then I did. They did not stop the whole time! They went around the room getting table shots and followed me around getting shots that I did. They didn't get into the shots that I needed, so there wasn't a problem, but it was still annoying.

6) I also had a hard time getting close to the b&g during the reception. I used a 24-70 but alot of my shots are too far away. I do like getting the big picture of a scene and cropping, but I need to learn to move closer in.

Canon 5d Mark II - 24-70 f2, 70-200 2.8 mk2, Sigma 50mm F1.4, 85mm f1.8, 35mm f2, 580exII, AB400 x 2, AB800 x 2
Rolleiflex 6003 - 80mm

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 17, 2011 21:43 |  #39

Neither guests or the couple have ever mentioned my lights. If they asked me not to use them i'd politely refuse, but I might offer to move them a little if the lights were bothering them.

1) You must use M mode when you're using manual flash.

3) Mention that you would appreciate a meal in your contract or in person, and say you're happy to find your own meal but you'll leave the wedding for an hour.

4) I don't use lights for that, but I do those photos outside.

5) Get used to it.

6) Stand closer or use a longer lens.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

nmphoto
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 19, 2011 14:20 |  #40

alien bees rock, so use em! bounce them or direct them out, but at less power and use cross directional lighting.

Canon 7D • Canon 30D • Sigma EX 70-200mm f/2.8 • Sigma EX 24-70mm f/2.8 • Canon 85mm f/1.8 • Sigma 30mm f/1.8 • Canon 420EX Speedlite • Canon 430 EXII Speedlite • 2 Yongnuo Flashes

sponsored links

8,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
2nd Wedding Blues - Lighting a big room
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.