Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 06:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stand your ground, photographers rights.

dubstylz
488 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 11, 2011 06:53 |  #1

The video speaks for itself...

http://www.youtube.com …eTeam#p/a/u/0/F​JH9F7Hcluo (external link)

Mark

sponsored links
megapixelsoffun
202 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 11, 2011 07:24 |  #2

old news, this has been posted here and about a million other places in the last few weeks

Canon EOS 7D | Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM (Bigma) | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (Thrifty Fifty) | Canon 100 mm F/2.8 L MACRO IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM | 430 EX II

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 11, 2011 08:18 |  #3

The really sad part is that these guys ARE breaking the law.
I refuse to believe that any of these people have signed a release and the video is used commercially. It may be on youtube, but meant to draw attention to their "organisation". And yep... That organisation is commercial in nature.

And more than half the time, they were actually on PRIVATE property.

What one should pay attention to here, is the general level of professionalism and politeness, of the police officers.

squashed
Goldmember
4,177 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 11, 2011 08:29 |  #4

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12915434 (external link)
What one should pay attention to here, is the general level of professionalism and politeness, of the police officers.

Exactly, and great point.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

dubstylz
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 11, 2011 08:32 |  #5

I must admid i have never had any problems with police when out with my camera but the hopped up little hitler security guards can be a different story lol

Mark

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 11, 2011 08:44 as a reply to  @ dubstylz's post |  #6

+1 to that :)

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 11, 2011 09:08 |  #7

Made me laugh. Great video.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 11, 2011 09:33 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

dubstylz wrote in post #12915532 (external link)
I must admid i have never had any problems with police when out with my camera but the hopped up little hitler security guards can be a different story lol

I watched the first eight minutes of the video (gotta' get ready for work), and none of the private security personnel struck me as being "hopped up little hitler security guards". In fact, most of them seemed quite polite in expressing their concerns regarding photography...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

dubstylz
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 11, 2011 10:38 |  #9

no i didnt mean the guys on there are hopped up(well 1 of them is) some of the security i have personaly come across have been though.

Mark

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 11, 2011 12:32 |  #10

The really sad part is that these guys ARE breaking the law.
I refuse to believe that any of these people have signed a release and the video is used commercially. It may be on youtube, but meant to draw attention to their "organisation". And yep... That organisation is commercial in nature.

And more than half the time, they were actually on PRIVATE property.

First off, I think you need to read more about the defination of "commercial." I don't think any of the video could qualify for commercial. The video itself is an editorial on "authorities" reactions to public photography. It doesn't matter if the organization is commercial, only if the video is used in a commercial way. I would call this a news piece before calling it commercial.

Also, you can photograph from private property as long as there is a reasonable expectation you are allowed to be there in the first place (think publically accessable). What you cannot do is remain on the property after being asked to leave. In every instance the photographers stepped off private property when asked. This means that they broke no laws.

I do agree with you that this video is very complementary to the actual police officers involved in the interactions. It is often security that gives us more problem than those with actual police powers.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 11, 2011 12:52 |  #11

I have seen similar videos before. You'd think there would be some sort of ethics with building owners about photographers outside your building in public areas.

I agree, the police officers were much more professional than the security personnel. I think the photographers had valid arguments. They were on public property and not getting in anyone's way.

Kudos for the photographers for standing their ground and Kudos to the police officers for knowing the law!

Great video!

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 11, 2011 13:20 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I just finished watching the second half of the video and, quite frankly, no one really seemed out of line in that video. The three "police actions" (a bit of a dramatic description by the film maker) were not out of line. Security personnel had concerns, so they called the police. Some security personnel were able to resolve things with the photographer directly.

If anything, this video shows that if you maintain your composure, aren't rude, and listen to the other guy, things can usually get worked out. Unfortunately, I get the impression that some responding to this thread would react in more of an "in your face" manner, and that never accomplishes anything...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 11, 2011 13:35 |  #13

MattPharmD wrote in post #12917162 (external link)
First off, I think you need to read more about the defination of "commercial." I don't think any of the video could qualify for commercial. The video itself is an editorial on "authorities" reactions to public photography. It doesn't matter if the organization is commercial, only if the video is used in a commercial way. I would call this a news piece before calling it commercial.

When used to promote a commercial organisation, the video is commercial. They even use these videos on their own site, so you can be pretty damn sure that my definition of commercial is correct.

And that is where they are clearly breaking the law.

It's also pretty clear that they were quite aware that they were on private property. It was nothing more than a cheap trick to provoke a reaction from the security guards.

It doesn't really improve their case much either, that they flat out lied on more than one occasion, when someone asked if they were being filmed. Not only did they not get releases, they also knowingly and purposefully misled the individuals they are taking advantage of.

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 11, 2011 13:38 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12917523 (external link)
It doesn't really improve their case much either, that they flat out lied on more than one occasion, when someone asked if they were being filmed. Not only did they not get releases, they also knowingly and purposefully misled the individuals they are taking advantage of.

I always watch things like this with a ridiculously large grain of salt, exactly for reasons such as the one you've pointed out...

Gear List

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 12, 2011 01:03 as a reply to  @ BreitlingFan's post |  #15

i wonder how things would have gone down if they were on public property taking pictures of peoples' kids.

sponsored links

3,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stand your ground, photographers rights.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.