Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Oct 2005 (Tuesday) 09:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #38 - PEACE

in ­ Japan
185 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 25, 2005 09:29 |  #1

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #38 - PEACE [highlight]WINNERS[/hi​ghlight]

First, thanks to everyone for participating. I had a lot of anxiety after I chose the theme for this week’s challenge after I realized you probably wouldn’t have dozens of peace monuments to photograph as I do in Hiroshima. But your creativity and willingness to think outside the box, helped set my mind at ease. In fact, I’m very impressed by the wide variety of photos submitted.

Here are my thoughts which are my own, so please do not take them personally…

Don Ellis - Close Eyes, Open Mind
A wonderful photo which to me seems to be all about tolerance. Of course Leatherman by himself would make an interesting photo, but when you include Leena, the photo seems to tell a different story. I like the poses of each person - the dangling cigarette, crossed legs, and Leatherman’s arm around Leena. Nicely composed…great capture, Don. Side note: I looked at the photo at least 25 times in the last week and the more I looked at Leatherman, the less of a shocking effect he had. Anyone else have this experience?

Marie - peaceful times for Indians shopping for their squaws
Marie seems to have made a name for herself on this forum with her excellent candids (along with her sincere kindness) and this shot is no exception. I like what you’ve done in post-processing - a technique that you seem to have down pat. I do find the hangar that cuts into his headpiece a bit distracting, but I know it couldn’t have been helped under the circumstances. Nice shot of a group of people whose story we seem to have nearly forgotten.

Raw - Where I find peace…
I haven’t taken many sunset photos, so I’m always curious to see other’s work. I really like the gradating colors and the dynamic shift of the sun to the far right of the photo works for me. Too bad part of the bridge gets lost with the background, but that was probably unavoidable. It’s definitely one of those photos that requires one to stop, reflect, and find some gratitude in life. Nice, inspiring capture, Raw.

Abat - The Friendship Garden
Having lived in Japan for a while, I can identify with tranquil Asian gardens surrounded by modernity. I’ve also photographed my share of statues and I must credit you with high marks for your composition, which to me is challenging. The absence of color helps to accentuate the lines in the face more. One of my personal favorites.

TX firebug - peaceful scene
Obvious why you come here, TX firebug - it’s looks so serene and…peaceful. If we all spent much time relaxing and thinking near the sea, perhaps we’d all be better off. The solitary figure creates quite a dramatic effect and the sprinkling of birds in the foreground are pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately, the horizon is a bit unbalanced (heavy on the right). Good thing is that it’s about a 2 minute fix in PS.

Boutty - Armed for Peace
Peace is getting along with your neighbor, regardless of gender, race, religion, etc. and this photo captures that essence perfectly. Since you had to pose this shot, you also get high marks for creativity. To round out this photo, your models look quite comfortable and happy. Well done, Boutty.

Cyclone - trust
I like the title of this photo but you could have also titled it - adorable, angelic, precious or any other adjective to describe this gorgeous baby. Two things strike me about this photo. First, I think the lighting is right on. Especially considering you probably had to manage with basic household lights. Did you bounce the flash off of the ceiling? Second, I like the positioning of the man's hands. If there were ever a reason for peace, this photo pretty much sums it up. Excellent work.

Bottom Bracket - All He Was Saying Was Give Peace a Chance
A theme that is as relevant today as it was in the Seventies when Lennon wrote that song. To me the old, weathered roses complement the words, “Imagine”, in a symbolic sense - the roses probably had seen better times, but there’s still hope. Their pink color also contrasts nicely with the grey mosaic tiles. Well composed and certainly on topic. One of my favs.

KC Jewel - Peace At Last
Yet another adorable baby photo which I don’t think is coincidence. These little ones depend and rely on us for their future. I’ll go out on a limb and say that this little guy will either grow up to be a kite enthusiast or a photographer. The mood is calming and peaceful. Your family will one day be grateful for your G6 (if they aren’t already).

Teekay - Not in Our Name
By far the most political photo of the competition. I find rallies and protests particularly challenging to photograph, so I can appreciate what you were able to do with this shot. There’s no confusing what the message of this photo is. There seems to be a lot going on in this picture, so perhaps a bit of cropping could help give the photo a more dramatic feel. Just curious, how many people were there?

The winners are…

Third Place - Cyclone (trust) - Love the warm colors and the tight crop works for me. “Trust” seems to be lacking in the world today and I thought your photo captured that abstract idea quite well.

Second Place - Boutty (Armed for Peace) - This photo almost looks like an advert for peace. Again, I thought this photo captured the spirit of this particular challenge perfectly.

Drum roll please...

First Place - Don Ellis (Close Eyes, Open Mind) - Though this is a fantastic photo, I thought it also captured the essence of this challenge on multiple levels. Even the apparent dreary conditions seem to work for this photo. Great shot, Don.

Thanks again for making my week a bit more enjoyable with all of your splendid photos. Judging is a painful process that I’m not entirely comfortable doing, so I’m happy to hand the reins over to Don.

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #38 - [highlight]PEACE[/high​light]

Regardless what your opinion is about what is happening in Iraq, Israel, southern Thailand, Chechnya, and other areas of conflict around the globe, I think most of us can agree that peace is a good thing for mankind. I must confess that before moving to Hiroshima I never really gave much thought to this topic, but after living in a city that takes this matter quite seriously, I'm now more conscious of it than ever before. And apparently so much that I felt compelled to choose it as the next challenge. So, here we go...

What am I looking for? First and foremost, the principle subject of the photo should somehow convey peace, as in the opposite of war. Whether it be local, regional, national, political, racial, religious, ethnic, old, recent, or a symbol of peace, it mustn't promote war. If necessary, feel free to give a little background information, but please post your personal beliefs and opinions on another forum. I'll leave it at that, perhaps I've said too much already.

Looking forward to seeing your submissions. Good luck...peace out.

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

[highlight]Post until Monday noon GMT, October 31, 2005.[/highlight]

Host: In Japan

Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page). Thank you.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- photos must be taken with a Canon G-Series Camera (G1,G2,G3,G5,G6) or Pro 1.

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 640 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS. Odd-sized photos ineligible.

4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --

ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
  • Photo Name in the message subject line.
  • Camera model.

6. Photographer's Notes -- Name and camera are are you need, but you're welcome to add a story, location, photo tips, brief EXIF data.

7. No Commenting by others -- When the posting is closed, comments can be made in this thread.

Time
One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
    New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

Hosting

1. The Challenge Host is the winner of the last challenge.
2. Choose a topic and list any special rules -- but DO NOT POST a photo. 3. Post the topic in a thread with this title: “POTN G-Series Speed Challenge [highlight]#XX -- [TOPIC][/highlight]”
4. At the end of competition, choose a Winner and two Runners-up and explain why the photos were selected. Comments on other photos are nice but not required.
5. Post these in a thread titled “POTN G-Series Speed Challenge [highlight]#XX -- [TOPIC] -- Winners[/highlight].”
6. Winner starts with Rule #1 above.
7. If the winner can't be contacted and doesn't respond by Wednesday noon GMT, the second-place winner will host the challenge.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

New Topic ... [highlight]Tuesday by midnight GMT[/highlight].
  • Posting Starts ... [highlight]Right after topic is announced.[/highlight]​.
  • Posting Stops ... [highlight]Monday Noon GMT [/highlight].
  • Winner Announcement ... [highlight]Monday by midnight GMT.
[/highlight].

Past winners:

#037 - Hats - In Japan, Cyclone, Boutty
#036 - Black and White - BottomBracket, Megatrixel, Partridge9
#035 - Accidents - mp2k-net, Partridge9, KCJewell
#034 - Get Closer! - es839145, mp2k-net, Bryan Bedell
#033 - Typography - Zero, mp2k-net, BottomBracket
#032 - Point/Counterpoint - Bryan Bedell, BottomBracket, In Japan
#031 - Hobby - Megatrixel, Zero, abat
#030 - History - Boutty, abat, teekay
#029 - Toys - In Japan, HungryWriter, Don Ellis
#028 - Taken Within 50cm of the Ground - BottomBracket, Marie, Megatrixel
#027 - Self Portrait - abat, rpolitsr, HungryWriter
#026 - Personal Treasures – Boutty, in Japan, HungryWriter
#025 - Wheels – Zero, Boutty, Teekay
#024 - Street Candids - rpolitsr, in Japan, txfirebug
#023 - Religion - marie, in japan , megatrixel
#022 - Animals - monkey_wrench, jesshen, fooboy
#021 - Night Shots - bang, KingSize, abat
#020 - Food - sara, abat, gewb
#019 - Shoes – Boutty, partridge9, morrisman
#018 - Blowing in the Wind - In Japan, Txfirebug, Gewb
#017 - Rain - marie, Boutty, Tonyq
#016 - Reflections - abat, Boutty, IainB
#015 - Spheres - digidog, (2) Boutty, (2) Thefly, (2) Bottombracket, (3) marie, (3) gkunning
#014 - Trees - partridge9, cyclone, Boutty
#013 - Body Language - digidog, Dchemist, Bottom Bracket
#012 - Light & Dark - IainB, cyclone, (3) teekay, (3) bottombracket
#011 - Transportation - 4nr, digidog, IainB
#010 - Making Music - Bottom Bracket, gkuenning, (3)Alexandre Gabriel, (3)pushtoexit
#009 - Hands - IainB, txfirebug, Dbump
#008 - Stop Action - Partridge9, Marie, Bottom Bracket,Thefly
#007 - Red - Pushtoexit, Marie, IainB, Megatrixel
#006 - Pencil - theFly, am_pitbull_terrier, bottombracket
#005 - An Egg - Don Ellis, Megatrixel/Samerj, Rich Lawrence
#004 - Old People - teekay, raj, thefly
#003 - Passage of Time - Booyah, Don Ellis, Rich Lawrence
#002 - Joy - TeeKay, Rich Lawrence, Pradeep1
#001 - Speed - BottomBracket, SmartImport, Rich Lawrence

There's no day but today.

sponsored links
Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001

Oct 26, 2005 02:04 |  #2

Close eyes, open mind

IMAGE: http://www.kleptography.com/dl/pro1/leelapunkfull.jpg

Celebrating our differences -- Leela with Leatherman in London.

Pro 1.

Cheers,

Don

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Oct 26, 2005 10:32 as a reply to  @ Don Ellis's post |  #3

peaceful times for Indians shopping for their squaws

1/124 f3
pro 1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

RAW
601 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 27, 2005 00:01 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #4

Where I find peace...

...it's where my heart is.
...it's where I love to be.
...it's how I want to feel.
...it's how I know it's real.

Powershot G6.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Artan
I have my G6s Kenko TC for sale...please PM.

Eos 2oD I EF50mm f/1.4 I 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS I 24-70L I 580ex.
PS G6 I 420ex I LA 52/58mm I Hoya HMC polarizer
Kenko KNT-20 2x I Raynox DCR 6600PRO .66x.
I'm lovin' it...:D

abat
355 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 27, 2005 05:52 as a reply to  @ RAW's post |  #5

The Friendship Garden

I spent lunchtime here today - a Chinese garden next to the busy centre of Sydney. The high walls, abundant trees and the sound of rushing water drowned out the noise of the city and for a moment I was transported away ....... the sleeping boy Buddha, on his own at the end of a little path, captured my mood.

G5, f4, 1/40, ISO50

HOSTED PHOTO

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

txfirebug
91 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 28, 2005 12:33 as a reply to  @ abat's post |  #6

Peaceful Scene

I find the beach to be the most peaceful place to spend a morning.

G3
F 8.0
1/1244th second
28.8mm focul length
ISO 50

HOSTED PHOTO

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 28, 2005 18:04 as a reply to  @ txfirebug's post |  #7

Armed for peace

Big thanks to my colleagues/models who generously participated in this contest. From top clockwise:- Danny, Karen, Bertie & Jennifer.

G6

HOSTED PHOTO

cyclone
358 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 29, 2005 11:40 |  #8

G2
f2.5, 1/15

HOSTED PHOTO

20D · elan7 · G2
ef24/2.8 · ef50/1.8 · ef85/1.8 · efs10-22
tamron 28-75/2.8 · 70-200/4.0 · 100-400
420ex · other stuffhttp://cyclone.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 30, 2005 15:13 |  #9

All He Was Saying, Was Give Peace A Chance

G6
Strawberry Fields, NYC Central Park.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

KC ­ Jewel
107 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 30, 2005 16:26 |  #10

Peace at last

G6

HOSTED PHOTO

G6, 420EX, Converter W/filters, 2X Xtend-a-view, 45mm red dot speed sight with Photosolve Xtend-a-sight mount.

teekay
Goldmember
3,015 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Oct 30, 2005 17:20 as a reply to  @ KC Jewel's post |  #11

Not In Our Name

http://community.netid​ea.com …y/temp/PeaceInS​eattle.jpg (external link)

Anti-war protest, Seattle 2004
G1

in ­ Japan
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 31, 2005 06:02 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #12

The challenge is now closed. Thank you for all of your entries. I'll try to post the results soon.

in ­ Japan
THREAD ­ STARTER
185 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 31, 2005 17:01 as a reply to  @ in Japan's post |  #13

The results for the challenge are now posted.

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001

Oct 31, 2005 17:59 as a reply to  @ in Japan's post |  #14

in Japan wrote:
The results for the challenge are now posted.

First to post and now first to comment -- thank you very much for the honour. And congratulations to all who entered, especially to Boutty and Cyclone. It's a pleasure to see these challenges continuing.

Thanks also to you, in Japan, for commenting above and beyond the call of duty. I had actually been enjoying a couple of challenges when only the top three were chosen -- took a little pressure off the judges. But I'm happy to see each judge doing what's best for him or her.

I'm off to work now and I'll try to think up something brilliant -- or at least adequate -- for our next challenge.

Cheers,

Don

txfirebug
91 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 31, 2005 20:21 as a reply to  @ Don Ellis's post |  #15

Congrats to the winners, great choices in Japan. This was actually one of the harder challenges for me, rather than peace I chose a peaceful place. Great pictures everyone.

sponsored links

9,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #38 - PEACE
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.