Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 19:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II Underexposing Low Light Shots?

biggcstylez
468 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 14, 2011 19:25 |  #1

Hi Guys,

I find that my 5DII consistently underexposes low light shot by about a stop when not using flash and in low light environments. Do any of you long time 5DII owners have the same problem? Is it fairly common? Feel like checking out another 5D II to see if it has the same metering.

Not a huge deal because i can correct it in Lightroom, just odd since i don't remember by old 50D metering that dark. IN daylight it works great. In low-light it meters off.

Thoughts? I know i can always use AEC, but wanted to see if its a common issue.

Thanks!

Carlos

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/biggcstylez/ (external link)
Gear: Canon 5D Mark II | 35 f1.4L | Σ 85 f1.4 | 135 f2L | 580EXII | 430EXII x2 |

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 14, 2011 19:31 |  #2

No. When I have exposure issues, I don't compare with other cameras or models. I just deal with it. The 5D2 is excellent for low light. I have the 7D as well, and I have used many different types of cameras, no two are the same. There are a variety of metering settings. What are you using mostly in dark lighting? I also don't use just one type of metering. Recently, I've been using center weighted. Then I switch. Then I adjust while shooting in Manual. Let us know what you are setting your 5D2.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 14, 2011 21:33 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #3

I shoot evaluative and typically dial in 2/3 to 1 stop of positive exposure compensation if that helps.

Jason

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 14, 2011 21:38 |  #4

I noticed that the 5d2 seems to have the ISO points adjusted differently than my bodies. It's needs a bit more exposure time to arrive at the same perceived image brightness when everybody is dialed to the same ISO.

But this is difficult to compare since it also has a wider field of view.

I didn't worry about it enough to start shooting my white wall...

ETA: this can also be from the jpeg processing. Some bodies bump some parts of the picture quite a bit when doing the jpeg.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

Osa713
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 14, 2011 23:21 |  #5

jase1125 wrote in post #12935748 (external link)
I shoot evaluative and typically dial in 2/3 to 1 stop of positive exposure compensation if that helps.

What he said. Also use your histogram as you shoot it can be your best friend. ;)

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 15, 2011 08:29 |  #6

Osa713 wrote in post #12936344 (external link)
What he said. Also use your histogram as you shoot it can be your best friend. ;)

That's a sure way to blow out some highlights that you can't see on the right side of the histogram, no?

As long as there is no noise you can pull it up in PP.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

IllegalFun
39 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 16, 2011 04:19 |  #7

Spot metering may help, but you have to know what you are doing...
also remember that in many low light situations, you will have a huge dynamic range, and so parts of the image will probably "blow out" but it should be fine so long as it is just a few specular highlights...

Staring through the viewfinder since 2007
My Canon Gear

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 16, 2011 04:24 |  #8

biggcstylez wrote in post #12935040 (external link)
Hi Guys,

I find that my 5DII consistently underexposes low light shot by about a stop when not using flash and in low light environments. Do any of you long time 5DII owners have the same problem? Is it fairly common? Feel like checking out another 5D II to see if it has the same metering.

Not a huge deal because i can correct it in Lightroom, just odd since i don't remember by old 50D metering that dark. IN daylight it works great. In low-light it meters off.

Thoughts? I know i can always use AEC, but wanted to see if its a common issue.

Thanks!

Carlos

Im having exact same problem! I just got my 5DII and its frustrating the hell out of me.

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,973 posts
Gallery: 281 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2011 04:30 |  #9

Can't say my 5DII consistently underexposes at low light. But low light always gives you an extra challenge to get it right... What do you want properly exposed: the background or the subject you focus on? For the latter I usually use "spot" metering in low or extra bright situations. Because I then know that I got my main subject right and the rest is more easy to PP.

I hardly ever use "center weighted" - either "evaluative" for whole scene exposure or "spot" when I want my subject properly exposed.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 16, 2011 04:45 |  #10

I use exact same saettings as my 50d and get a slightly underexposed image with my 5d.. I shoot evaluative mode...

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 16, 2011 05:02 |  #11

If you believe the data at DXOMark then you will see that at an indicated 100 ISO the 50D is apparently delivering an actual ISO sensitivity of about 160 whereas the 5D2 is only delivering something like 80 ISO.

http://www.dxomark.com …3)/272%7C0/(bra​nd3)/Canon (external link)

At 200 ISO and above the gap pretty much disappears, although both cameras appear to overstate the ISO in use by around 1/3 to 1/2 a stop.

I've noticed on numerous shoots with lights that when I use my Sekonic 758 meter and dial the figures into my 5D2 at 100 ISO my shots come out a little dark. It's fracking annoying. Obviously I can compensate, but "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!​!".

So maybe it's not a metering issue, but rather one of iffy ISO calibration. How are the results at ISO values from 200 and up?

dbld49
82 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2011 20:22 |  #12

jase1125 wrote in post #12935748 (external link)

Same here. It's a little aggravating, but i guess i'm used to it. And its not only during low light shots.

sponsored links

4,116 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II Underexposing Low Light Shots?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.