Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 25 Oct 2005 (Tuesday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbi Geese pic

sdmaker
421 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 25, 2005 11:44 |  #1

Hello, just got into photography about a month ago, just got my 300d last week. Anyway, here is a pic of a few geese I took today, It was cloudy and overcast today. I took this from my car from the side of the road. What do you think of this shot? and how can I improve my nature shots? I know I need a better lens. all I have right now for a zoom is a vivitar 28-300 :~(
I think a polorizer filter would help, Correct?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Blackburnian
Goldmember
1,444 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 25, 2005 14:31 |  #2

Nice pics of the Geese. Shooting these geese under an overcast sky is a good start. On a sunny day you would of probably blow out the whites on the chin straps.

My advice to you would be to get out as often as possible, early in the morning or 1hr before dusk and just shoot away and learn from your mistakes.

Your lens has a good reach, just enough to get you hooked on birds.

Marc

Marc Latrémouille

My Portfolio (external link)

sdmaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 25, 2005 15:20 as a reply to  @ Blackburnian's post |  #3

Yeah,I really need to get out and take some pics. I have not had much time since I got the camera :( . Today I was on my way to an eye exam, and just happened to see these. Wish I would have had time to setup the tripod, and take some time, But unfortunately I didn't. Thanks for the advice.

Mounkey
77 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 25, 2005 15:21 as a reply to  @ sdmaker's post |  #4

it looks really grainy. what was your iso set to?

other than that pretty good pic! :lol:

Canon EOS 30D: Tamron 17-50mm F2.8:Canon 50mm F1.4: Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro
http://www.moonlightph​otoaz.com (external link)

sdmaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 25, 2005 15:40 as a reply to  @ Mounkey's post |  #5

ISO was at 400. this is a 100% crop. not sure why it looks so grainy, Maybe the cheapo lens?

MattyB
Goldmember
1,673 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 25, 2005 16:03 |  #6

100% crop with a 300mm zoom lens? have you got a fear of them or something? haha
get closer mate :D closer!, army crawl if you have to.

could be the lens making it that bit grainy, or it could the ISO if it were darker than it seems when the shot was taken, did you apply USM?

Matt Bennell
Camera: Canon EOS 80D DSLR Black
Extras: 18-55mm, 10-18mm, Tripod, ND8
Field: These days you'll likely be seeing plenty of Nature and Landscape posts :lol:
New Site In Progress -> bennell.co.nz (external link)

sdmaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 25, 2005 16:29 as a reply to  @ MattyB's post |  #7

lol, no. No fear of them, but I was already running late for eye exam. so, I just pulled over, rolled the window down, and shot the pic. lol. I did apply usm, but not much. and actually it was quite a bit darker than what the pic looks like.

MattyB
Goldmember
1,673 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 25, 2005 18:05 |  #8

haha, well atleast you've got your piorities right
"get dressed, drive to the river, take a photo out the window, goto eye doctor, check!"

:D

Matt Bennell
Camera: Canon EOS 80D DSLR Black
Extras: 18-55mm, 10-18mm, Tripod, ND8
Field: These days you'll likely be seeing plenty of Nature and Landscape posts :lol:
New Site In Progress -> bennell.co.nz (external link)

sdmaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 25, 2005 19:57 as a reply to  @ MattyB's post |  #9

actaully these guys were in a pond.... right next to the river, hehe. there was hundreds of them in the river, but tall weeds prevented me from getting a shot. might go check the area out again tomorrow. when i have more time.

sponsored links

1,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbi Geese pic
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.