Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mucisian

markisclueless
337 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 16, 2011 01:26 |  #1

Hi, just bought my first dSLR (Canon 550d) and attempted to capture a few B/W shots ... Not fully manual yet but did try and control the Aperture / ISO / Shutter Speed ....
A little history as to my thought process:
(a) As it was B/W, I wanted to concentrate on Contrast and tried keeping my ISO as low as possible to limit noise (could not get the musician in proper focus)
(b) I wanted to keep most sections in focus, so tried to keep Aperture high ...
(c) The musician was moving so tried to keep my Shutter speed quick to aid sharpness

I am still learning here, so ALL critic/advise is MOST welcome ....

If I want to only have the musician in focus, do I lower my Aperture (ie around F2) and make my Focus point central on musician ????

Here are the important Specs of the attached photo:

Aperture: F6.3
ISO 100
Shutter Speed: 1/100

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II | Canon 400mm DO IS II

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 16, 2011 03:39 |  #2

You won't go far wrong - keep practising with your new camera.

David

David

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,840 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2011 04:06 |  #3

Welcome to the forum!
You seem to understand the significance of the various parameters: aperture, shutterspeed and ISO. And that is already a lot compared to other "beginners" on the forum.
Yes, by widening your aperture (is lower number) you reduce the depth of field (DOF). It also allows you to use a higher shutterspeed and lower ISO.
There are some really bright sections in the background. Did you use "spot" metering or evaluative? By using "spot" when focussing on the musician you get the right exposure for him - now he is a tad underexposed -.
Also a bit of fill flash might have helped to get more light where it counts: your musician. Because of the fairly wide dynamic range of light (bright background areas and dark foreground (fence the guy is sitting on) the fill flash might have given you more light in the "in between" range. Most people seem to think that when it is sunny you won't need flash... I think that that is when you need flash most!
Keep shooting and experimenting: they only way to learn and get it right more often than not!

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

markisclueless
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 16, 2011 06:19 |  #4

Correct, I used evaluative, so by using spot and correctly focus on the "subject" (in this case musician) the exposure will be correct ..... thanks for the hint about the flash and its uses, the problem with this shot is the light/sun was behind him (I know not ideal but had limited time for shot) ....

vk2gwk wrote in post #12943617 (external link)
Welcome to the forum!
You seem to understand the significance of the various parameters: aperture, shutterspeed and ISO. And that is already a lot compared to other "beginners" on the forum.
Yes, by widening your aperture (is lower number) you reduce the depth of field (DOF). It also allows you to use a higher shutterspeed and lower ISO.
There are some really bright sections in the background. Did you use "spot" metering or evaluative? By using "spot" when focussing on the musician you get the right exposure for him - now he is a tad underexposed -.
Also a bit of fill flash might have helped to get more light where it counts: your musician. Because of the fairly wide dynamic range of light (bright background areas and dark foreground (fence the guy is sitting on) the fill flash might have given you more light in the "in between" range. Most people seem to think that when it is sunny you won't need flash... I think that that is when you need flash most!
Keep shooting and experimenting: they only way to learn and get it right more often than not!

markisclueless
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 16, 2011 06:21 |  #5

thanks David, look forward to improving - this site really inspires a newby like me;)

Woodworker wrote in post #12943564 (external link)
You won't go far wrong - keep practising with your new camera.

David

Iguanasan
53 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 16, 2011 13:06 as a reply to  @ markisclueless's post |  #6

Looks like you are off to a great start. Everyone has their own workflow but I much prefer spot focus as vk2gwk mentioned as it lets you determine exactly what you want to meter. That being said, everyone's different and so you have to decide what works for you.

The subject is a bit underexposed which is likely because the scene on the right is extremely bright which caused the evaluative metering to under-expose the musician. In this case moving yourself to the right and the camera to the left might have had just the ship in behind the subject and given you a more even lighting situation to meter.

Also, ISO 200 is perfectly adequate and will allow more light without hardly any noise. I don't bother with ISO 100 unless it's super bright or a studio type shot with controlled lighting.

markisclueless
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 17, 2011 01:53 |  #7

Excellent, thanks for your feedback .... after previous feedback, was also thinking that a step to the right would have made a significant difference ..... thanks

Iguanasan wrote in post #12945823 (external link)
Looks like you are off to a great start. Everyone has their own workflow but I much prefer spot focus as vk2gwk mentioned as it lets you determine exactly what you want to meter. That being said, everyone's different and so you have to decide what works for you.

The subject is a bit underexposed which is likely because the scene on the right is extremely bright which caused the evaluative metering to under-expose the musician. In this case moving yourself to the right and the camera to the left might have had just the ship in behind the subject and given you a more even lighting situation to meter.

Also, ISO 200 is perfectly adequate and will allow more light without hardly any noise. I don't bother with ISO 100 unless it's super bright or a studio type shot with controlled lighting.

sponsored links

1,299 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mucisian
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.