Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Oct 2005 (Tuesday) 20:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CHECK OUT CANON's Light Set up at NYC EXPO~

Visuals
384 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 25, 2005 20:33 |  #1

Hello guys

I had the opportunity to be at the Photo Expo over the weekend here in NYC. I’m sure many of our forum buddies may have attend also. Many boots, lots and lots of gear and accessories to make you head spin. Of course I had to chill out at the CANON Booth and listen to the “experts” give advice on just about everything.

This was the set up they had there at they shot their model “Hydie” Sorry for the crummy pictures. They seem to mix Continuous lighting with strobes.

Number 1 was what I think the main light… Looks tungsten to me which
Number 2 was a small light box but I wasn’t sure if it was continuous or a flash
Number 3 is that guy holding a reflector
Number 4 we have a spot light facing the back drop. That was a strobe
Number 5 is another strobe low to the floor.

Well that my interpretation of the lighting set up anyway.

I was wondering if anyone ever mixed these two lighting sources together like this

Thinking of just getting one of these to join my light set up http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/bnh/controller/h​ome?O=productlist&A=de​tails&Q=&sku=288349&is​=REG&addedTroughType=c​ategoryNavigation (external link)

I already own the 580EX and 430EX

What do you guys think??
I’m very new to all this…

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This Forum Still Exists?
Sony RX1 and Iphone 5

sponsored links
Visuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 25, 2005 20:40 |  #2

BTW to you right is how the pictures looked when the shots were taken. The spot light made the white background grayish. Then they printed in on the large format printer to the left. The prints were Astonding..the Models were sexy..and Canon is just great...:D

They used the new 5D~

Oh and By the way... I was kinda testing a 24-70mm L... Needless to say its going back to the damn store!!!!!! New copy Needed!!!!:mad:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This Forum Still Exists?
Sony RX1 and Iphone 5

Visuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 25, 2005 20:59 as a reply to  @ Visuals's post |  #3

Just a few more pics

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND

This Forum Still Exists?
Sony RX1 and Iphone 5

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 25, 2005 21:08 |  #4

Wow. Got to see a show like this one day.
Nice printer if you can afford it/make it pay.

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Images (external link)

mgbeach
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 25, 2005 21:19 |  #5

Are you sure there was continuous lighting being used? It looks to me like #1 is a strobe with a beauty dish. The modeling lamp is probably a regular incandescent bulb, which is why it recorded as orange-ish in your photo. #2 looks to be a softboxed strobe lighting her lower body. Both 4 and 5 are background lights that overlap behind her to give the halo effect, with 4 probably spilling onto her hair some. The job of the guy with the reflector is to fill the shadows under her arm. This is my take on it, anyway.

Michael G. Beach
Canon EOS 30D
EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/4 L; EF 100 Macro f/2.8
430EX, Alien Bees B800, Vagabond battery
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/michaelbeach (external link)

RinkRat
773 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 25, 2005 21:21 |  #6

I'm a relative n00b to lighting...So take it with a grain of salt. I'd guess they were modeling lights. I can't imagine they would mix lighting like that.

I can't really comment on the kit you linked to, since I don't know enough about it.

www.postorino.com (external link)

Grimnar
252 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Oct 26, 2005 04:43 |  #7

The people with the Noink bags looks jealous :D

Photoblog (external link)
Can provide hosting for your galleries.

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 26, 2005 05:12 |  #8

...jealous because Noinks parent multi-national doesn't make printers and audio-visual systems etc etc

The wonder of it all is that the Canon Inc products cover everything except studio lighting. Why don't they get into lighting I wonder? They got a big cheque book afterall.

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Images (external link)

Visuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
384 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 26, 2005 08:14 as a reply to  @ mgbeach's post |  #9

mgbeach wrote:
Are you sure there was continuous lighting being used? It looks to me like #1 is a strobe with a beauty dish. The modeling lamp is probably a regular incandescent bulb, which is why it recorded as orange-ish in your photo. #2 looks to be a softboxed strobe lighting her lower body. Both 4 and 5 are background lights that overlap behind her to give the halo effect, with 4 probably spilling onto her hair some. The job of the guy with the reflector is to fill the shadows under her arm. This is my take on it, anyway.

OOOOHhhhhhhhh! I see:)
A strobe with Beauty dish.. I thought it may have been some sort of continuous light source because She was constantly lit from the top. I couldn't go behind the model to make sure. So Im guessing that both light sources aren't usually mixed then... thats cool.

Someone once told me about modeling lamps.. what purpose do they serve other than creating available light.

Thanks MgBeach~

This Forum Still Exists?
Sony RX1 and Iphone 5

mgbeach
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 26, 2005 08:25 |  #10

Modeling lamps serve 3 purposes:

1. They give you more available light to facilitate critical focusing.

2. To some extent, they allow you to see where the shadows and highlights will fall when the strobes fire.

3. They indicate when the strobe has recycled and you can take another shot.

Michael G. Beach
Canon EOS 30D
EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/4 L; EF 100 Macro f/2.8
430EX, Alien Bees B800, Vagabond battery
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/michaelbeach (external link)

blundar
168 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 26, 2005 08:38 |  #11

I was there on Friday. The Canon area was the most congested area of the entire Expo. The Nikon area was nowhere as busy. The big buzz was mainly over the 5D.

I also attended 1 seminar "Maximizing Stock Profits" that was worth every peny. It was an excellent knowledge resource.

Overall, the Expo was well worth checking out for any photographer at any level of experience.

Antonio Cotto
GemPhoto
http://www.myspace.com​/gemphoto (external link)
http://ujenatalent.com​/photographer/11253.ht​ml (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/member.php?id=886 (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,920 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 26, 2005 08:40 |  #12

I was wondering if anyone ever mixed these two lighting sources together like this

Besides what's already been said, there's no reason why you can't mix lighting. It's sort of like putting a filter on one source to get different colored light. Or, you could filter the different source to get the same colored light.
They aren't doing that here 'cause the strobe overpowers the modeling lights & their effect is minimal.

Thinking of just getting one of these to join my light set up

Looks like it would work well for head & shoulders shots. For full body I'd shoot it hot (without the softbox) through a large sheet of diffusion material.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

fortinaa
715 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 26, 2005 09:06 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #13

Frank, I've been thinking of building a diffusion panel. Any suggestions on material for it from the local Home Depot/Lowes/JoAnne Fabrics?

Aaron

Gear List

PhotosGuy
75,920 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 26, 2005 10:20 |  #14

Frank, I've been thinking of building a diffusion panel. Any suggestions on material for it from the local Home Depot/Lowes/JoAnne Fabrics?

You could use translucent drop cloths for painting, or even clear garbage bags. Other more conventional sources:
Translum Diffusion - 54" x 18' Roll $40US (external link)
Sample 1.75 x 2.75" swatchbook of Roscolux Series gels. (external link) I think they have something in here, too.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Inspired ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 27, 2005 07:48 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #15

Those strobes look awfully similar to my Elinchrom gear... do you know what they were using?

Rob

Robert Bell - Inspired Photography (formerly "Inspired Graphix" [and "Shooter-Boy" a long time ago])
Inspired Photography (external link)
email: info@inspiredphotograp​hy.net.au (external link) (external link)

sponsored links

4,944 views & 0 likes for this thread
CHECK OUT CANON's Light Set up at NYC EXPO~
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.