Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Aug 2011 (Friday) 15:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S L lenses

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 19, 2011 15:17 |  #1

First off, I know that there are no EF-S lenses with an L designation. As I understand it, this designation is reserved for EF lenses.

However I have read several things about EF-S lenses having all of the other qualities of a Luxury lens (build and glass quality for example). I am pretty sure I have read this several times about the 10-22.

So I have two questions, Do you think that there would be any benefit (to users and to canon) in a similar designation for the highest quality EF-S lenses?

And- What lenses would you expect to get this designation?

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links
Fabfive
119 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 19, 2011 15:30 |  #2

Everyone will tell you there is no way an EF-S Lens will ever get an L designation. Its been brought up before in a few other threads.

6D| BG-E13 | 15mm 2.8 | 35mm F2 IS | 70-200 F4L | 580 EX II

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 19, 2011 15:35 |  #3

MattPharmD wrote in post #12964334 (external link)
However I have read several things about EF-S lenses having all of the other qualities of a Luxury lens (build and glass quality for example). I am pretty sure I have read this several times about the 10-22.

Yes, the 10-22 has been said to have the qualities of an L, but this is usually meaning the IQ and the fact that it has nice glass, the build quality isn't up there with an L in my opinion. I don't feel that any of the EF-S lenses are built as well as an L, but some are excellent lenses otherwise.

As for another designation to separate them, I feel that would just cause more confusion amongst users, particularly as many EF-S buyers are relatively new to photography. If you want to get an idea of the quality of a particular lens, the price is a pretty good clue then just check out the reviews. The 10-22mm is around £650 (about US$ 1,075) for example, in the UK, which should be enough of a clue that it is something a bit above the regular EF-S herd, without sticking a badge on it.

As for which EF-S lenses are equal to L image quality, I really couldn't say as I have only had two and one of those was the 18-55 kit paperweight which got passed on ASAP. The other is the 10-22 which I love and do compare favourably against all my EF lenses, three of which are Ls.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 19, 2011 15:38 |  #4

Fabfive wrote in post #12964384 (external link)
Everyone will tell you there is no way an EF-S Lens will ever get an L designation. Its been brought up before in a few other threads.

Which is exactly why the OP was suggesting coming up with a different designation for the better quality EF-S lenses :rolleyes:

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 19, 2011 15:39 |  #5

L prices for lenses that only work on crop bodies? Personally, I wouldn't buy one but that's because I know I'll get a full frame and I want lenses I can use on both cameras. I do wonder how many folks out there would fork over the extra money for that.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Octobersown
45 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 19, 2011 16:03 |  #6

Canon powershot pro1 has an L designated lens. Just sayin'

NickSully
41 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 19, 2011 16:10 |  #7

BrickR wrote in post #12964428 (external link)
L prices for lenses that only work on crop bodies? Personally, I wouldn't buy one but that's because I know I'll get a full frame and I want lenses I can use on both cameras. I do wonder how many folks out there would fork over the extra money for that.

+1

I don't think canon would build an L lens that would work only on the crop sensors which are generally used by non-professionals.

5D MK III Gripped | Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS II USM | More to come!!

mwolfe
79 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 19, 2011 16:10 |  #8

I don't see any benefit to Canon creating an L designation for EF-S lenses, only a reason to charge you extra for the designation.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 19, 2011 16:16 |  #9

MattPharmD wrote in post #12964334 (external link)
First off, I know that there are no EF-S lenses with an L designation. As I understand it, this designation is reserved for EF lenses.

So I have two questions, Do you think that there would be any benefit (to users and to canon) in a similar designation for the highest quality EF-S lenses?

And- What lenses would you expect to get this designation?

EF-S is a technical term. It describes the mount and directs which EOS cameras the lens will fit.

'L' is a marketing designation. Canon has apparently decided that the 'L' designation has a certain cachet that they wish to maintain and they probably fear that adding 'L' to a supposed 'consumer' EF-S lens would bring down the cachet.

Several of the EF-S lenses are excellent performers. Look more at the lens performance, build and features and don't worry too much about the marketing.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 19, 2011 16:27 |  #10

The ONLY thing a "top quality" lens designation symbol, or letter would do to whichever EF-S lenses it would be applied to is...RAISE THE PRICE!!

That's it!

People can see for themselves which lenses, either EF, or EF-S produce the "best", most consistant results.

The lens doesn't need to have a "L", or "Q" (for Quality) or any other symbol slapped on it so Canon can justify raising it's cost just for the sake it has a "letter" on it.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 19, 2011 17:29 |  #11

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #12964617 (external link)
The ONLY thing a "top quality" lens designation symbol, or letter would do to whichever EF-S lenses it would be applied to is...RAISE THE PRICE!!

That's it!

People can see for themselves which lenses, either EF, or EF-S produce the "best", most consistant results.

The lens doesn't need to have a "L", or "Q" (for Quality) or any other symbol slapped on it so Canon can justify raising it's cost just for the sake it has a "letter" on it.

Canon already charges L premium for EF-S lenses, skipping on things like better build and weather sealing.
Not sure if there is any future in this standard, could be wrong but seems like Canon stopped developing new EF-S lenses.
Still could stay around for consumer market as it's cheaper to build. Time will tell.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 19, 2011 17:49 as a reply to  @ Andrew_WOT's post |  #12

NickSully wrote in post #12964537 (external link)
+1

I don't think canon would build an L lens that would work only on the crop sensors which are generally used by non-professionals.

??? ??? ??? Really? Are you serious? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyhow, the design of the new Fisheye 8-15mm L is interesting. As far as I can remember, it is intended as a replacement for the 15mm fisheye. But it has markings and a zoom locking mechanism to make the lens friendlier to 1.6 and 1.3 crop bodies.

I found it very interesting when I played with it. It is an L lens, yet with obvious designations and mechanical limiters specifically for use on APS-C and APS-H. To me, it appears that Canon is actually taking APS-C more seriously to have special markings on an L lens to specifically help APS-C users. Also, just the fact that the 7D exists shows that they believe 1.6 crop is an extremely valid and worthwhile format to invest PRO-grade R&D time into.

I'm quite interested to see how this plays out over the next few years. So many people (usually non pros) say 1.6 crop is DEAD. But to me, it appears that Canon is putting more and more time and energy into it.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2011 18:05 |  #13

If you would like to actually understand lens construction and thus why some lenses are worth more than others, here is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1304687​196&sr=1-3 (external link)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

tempest68
980 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 19, 2011 20:35 |  #14

They won't make an EF-S an "L" because then they'd have to consider adding weather sealing and they'd include the hood and a case/bag with the lens. Without the "L" designation, they can skip the weather sealing and happily sell you the lens hood separately!

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 19, 2011 20:38 |  #15

tempest68 wrote in post #12965603 (external link)
They won't make an EF-S an "L" because then they'd have to consider adding weather sealing and they'd include the hood and a case/bag with the lens. Without the "L" designation, they can skip the weather sealing and happily sell you the lens hood separately!

That did NOT stop nikon from weather sealing their 17-55mm DX

Ahhhhhh

I should have gone nikon.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

sponsored links

3,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S L lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.