Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Oct 2005 (Wednesday) 04:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pls help skin tone & pop

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 26, 2005 04:31 |  #1

Hi - I got some good shots today, but I
d like a lesson in how you'd likely PP the image to add skin tone and make the pic better - maybe pop?

The file is downsized to 1000x1500 but otherwise as per RSE's output to Adobe Elements.

I tried boosting contrast but its too heavy handed.

So I am asking for the experienced shooters to have a go.... and answer "Whats a good novice workflow applicable here? "

Thx in advance. :cool:

Here's a thumbnail of the file and the link to the file.
http://www.pbase.com/p​ixelparker/image/51311​643 (external link)

[cropping allowed etc]

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Images (external link)

sponsored links
soupdragon
Account removed at users request
963 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 26, 2005 04:39 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

You could try saturating the greens

PhotosGuy
75,864 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 26, 2005 11:23 |  #3

Have you tried a Layers> Adjustment Layer / Levels on it? Move the black slider up a bit.
The Layer tools come with a Layer Mask, the white square to the right. Click on it to get a double line, select a brush & gray/black color & paint on the pic. The dark color will mask (remove) the change from the pic. Darker = more. Black = all.
Looking at the layers palette in the 2nd example here may help:
Need to remove a background from something?

Photo Enhancement 101 - Basic "pic fixing".
http://raymondshay.com …PhotoEditing101​/index.htm (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

AjP
813 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 26, 2005 11:36 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #4

what do you think about this.(I'm at work on LCD, so hope it is not too bad)
quick adjustments:
Levels
Curves
Second Layer + Blur + overlay
USM
Contrast

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

"Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still."
AjP Photography (external link) | SportsShooter (external link)| WPJA Member (external link)

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 26, 2005 11:48 |  #5

I have two versions of this image.

These techniques I use are not really for beginners. If you want I could go through the processes, but for now I'll give a simple way to do this... it won't be exactly the same... but it will get close I think.

First version... go to image on the menu bar then to adjustments... and click auto levels. Then make a duplicate of the background layer and change it's blending mode from normal to hard light. This will look really loud and obnoxious. Back down the opacity to about 20% and it should look much more natural. Click the view off and on with this layer and see the differences. Flatten image in the layer menu and save. While this looks better, I think my advanced techinque does improve it further.

Second version... Follow the same process as the first... Then duplicate the background layer and set it to blending mode of overlay. Go to filters and blur and choose guassian blur at about a 2.5-3.0 radius. Then back the opacity down to where you like the effect. My version is at 38%. Flatten and save.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

PhotosGuy
75,864 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 26, 2005 11:54 |  #6

Only the surroundings were changed.

HOSTED PHOTO

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Oct 26, 2005 16:14 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #7

When you edit an image like this, be careful of what you wish for.

It is very easy for a beginner to over-accent color, contrast, or sharpening. Then it looks a little fake. Early on, you might want to decide whether you really want to make the shot look totally accurate, which is kind of calm and soft, or whether you really want it to pop. Plus, don't take the opinion of your own eyes alone. Print up some "before" and "after" comparisons and present them to others, like family members who know the subject. Simply ask for their opinion of what is best.

Typically, you will hear that something is best if it is halfway between accurate and "pop".

---Bob Gross---

Carzee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 26, 2005 20:06 |  #8

Thx for the advice and demos so far. I tried desaturating the green a tad for a start. Hmm, started again and played with the adj layer and it worked nicely on RGB. More gentle than a contrast slider... Then another try set on the green only. All good methods as far as I can see but I'm hobbled a bit having the Elements version for sure. I must get the full PS. With that I could try the Velvia action too.

The advice re heavy handed is on the money too. When I get one right I can do the whole gallery. There are some 2 dozen keepers I plan to print 8x10 at this stage.

"...and loving it"

edit - should mention that my model is Tia, DoB May 2003.

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Images (external link)

J ­ Rabin
Goldmember
1,496 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 26, 2005 22:26 as a reply to  @ Carzee's post |  #9

Why all the extended PS work for a RAW?
The photo is nice, but too cool, particularly skin tones are pale and flat. Just open the photo in Adobe Camera RAW, adjust the White Balance (blue-amber axis) up a 100-200K. That may do it. If it needs more, just add a tiny bit saturation in ACR converter, or move the green-magenta slider no more than few K left. Move the contrast a bit.

Then the work is done. Crop. Sharpen. Print. Other than sharpening, no PS work is best for a nice photo like this.

Do this is ACR since RSE is a nice program, but misses Canon White-Balance a lot. That's its current weakness. Maybe a few more versions and it will be more accurate.

J

MattyB
Goldmember
1,673 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 26, 2005 23:07 |  #10

please people - even when working on small res photos - take it easy on the USM, i'm a culprit for going overboard i know, i should take my own advice - but i see it too often. keep it subtle.

nice PP work other than that, some of them look fantastic!i really like the 2nd of forkballs

Matt Bennell
Camera: Canon EOS 80D DSLR Black
Extras: 18-55mm, 10-18mm, Tripod, ND8
Field: These days you'll likely be seeing plenty of Nature and Landscape posts :lol:
New Site In Progress -> bennell.co.nz (external link)

lostdoggy
King Duffus
4,787 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 26, 2005 23:20 |  #11

She is so cute
I hope you like this
level 10/1.25/245
a lite Velvia w/channel
USM 300/0.5/0
G Blur/Masked Gradient/Reveal subject with brush

HOSTED PHOTO

Carzee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 26, 2005 23:57 |  #12

Lostdoggy has got an ideal mix here, and I love it. This thread is a real help. I am going to try it all once the CS2 arrives. I think I'll use a crop the same as forkball used.

When I looked, the Adobe store site says the CS2 upgrade from Elements is a special price for a few weeks (USD149). Is there a better way?

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 27, 2005 07:18 as a reply to  @ MattyB's post |  #13

Thanks Matty. One of the things I did was to go grab the original sized image from the link. :)

Carzee, I think you must see the way I do now. I cropped the image as I did because All that background above and around her really took eye time away from such a pretty little girl. :)

MattyB wrote:
please people - even when working on small res photos - take it easy on the USM, i'm a culprit for going overboard i know, i should take my own advice - but i see it too often. keep it subtle.

nice PP work other than that, some of them look fantastic!i really like the 2nd of forkballs

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

maderito
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Oct 27, 2005 08:02 as a reply to  @ JMHPhotography's post |  #14

I agree with Bob Gross on this one. This is a very delicate image that requires only minor adjustments and cropping. This is the kind of shot you should store away and reprocess every 6 months or so to judge the change in your attitude towards and skills in postprocessing.

My take is that the image is slightly overexposed and only needs minor levels adjustment to bring up the midtones. PS shadows/highlights adjustments would help with the highlights which are blown. The skin tones are wonderful. If the original shot were in RAW, 95% of the postprocessing work would be accomplished simply by adjusting the exposure.

Beautiful child!!

HOSTED PHOTO

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​ito (external link)
http://maderito.fotki.​com (external link)

Carzee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,528 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 27, 2005 08:14 |  #15

Thx Woody.
Tia was the flower girl at her Aunty's wedding last weekend. It was up at Townsville, so I couldn't attend (compares to NYC to Dallas distance). So I took these shots this week for Tia's mum, my eldest daughter:

Tia gallery without PP as yet http://www.pbase.com/p​ixelparker/tiaflowergi​rl (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links

3,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pls help skin tone & pop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.