Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 19:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canvas from costco...any good?

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 20, 2011 19:02 |  #1

I was thinking about having a couple of my pics put to canvas stretch wrapped at Costco. Anyone have experience with their canvas products?

thanks

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Ugly ­ Joe
436 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 20, 2011 23:40 |  #2

Someone I'm working with is selling some photo's at the Laguna Beach Sawdust Festival, and had Costco do the canvas prints - they show well and hold up great (Sawdust Festival booths tend to get a little dew at night, and much of the art is indirectly exposed - for pieces that don't sell quickly, it can be a bit of exposure after awhile).

If I decide to have some printed on canvas, I'm probably going with Costco due to quality and price.

"Hell is an eternity of getting up at 4am to nothing but decaf coffee..."
A good friend will help you move.
A true friend will help you move a body.
An old friend more than likely will pass on either because of a bad back.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 21, 2011 03:12 |  #3

If they look good when displayed, the only consideration that I hear is about applying some finish after the print is done. But, I have no experience with this, only what I've read here. Check with Costco -- do they apply a good weatherproof finish? If not there are ones that can get and apply both gloss and "satin" finishes yourself...But I don't have the details, others will have to:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

DLitton
855 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 21, 2011 08:19 |  #4

Okay... so I will let you know that I have printed with both Costco and Canvas on Demand. First off I would say that Costco's prints are very reasonable price wise and quality is great too. That being said, the build quality that the canvas is wrapped on is much greater on C.o.D.'s. The only time I have used C.o.D. is when I have a groupon discount making the price = to Costco. Honestly I would try to get customers the C.o.D.'s canvas over Costco, but a typical personal really wont notice the difference unless you had them side by side in my opinion. Plus---canvas on demand lets you have more sizes that Costco does not---which is really nice.

David

Merlin_AZ
871 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 21, 2011 08:46 |  #5

I've used Photofiddle/my brother used COD, and they are both great.
I've never gotten a Costco canvas to compare.

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 24, 2012 13:16 |  #6

I've heard that Costco changed the company that they outsource there canvasses to.
Anyone have any experience with canvasses from Costco vs the popular canvas printers?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,831 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 28, 2012 11:18 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #12971246 (external link)
If they look good when displayed, the only consideration that I hear is about applying some finish after the print is done. But, I have no experience with this, only what I've read here. Check with Costco -- do they apply a good weatherproof finish? If not there are ones that can get and apply both gloss and "satin" finishes yourself...But I don't have the details, others will have to:)!

Krylon protective spray finishes have been used on photographs for many decades.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SvP_Evo
61 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 29, 2012 10:55 |  #8

I was looking into this myself for the Tattoo shop that I did a project with. They wanted a low cost option and I had suggested Costco. Glad to see there are a few good reviews

Gear Flickr (external link)
Feed Back 1.jerryr56

sponsored links

6,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
canvas from costco...any good?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.