Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 21 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 21:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trying out new polarizer

Jason ­ L
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 21, 2011 21:52 |  #1

3 exposure blend 2.3 ev apart
Canon 1D MK II
Tamron 28-75 @ 28mm f/16
Hoya HD CPL and Lee 0.75 GND

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6205/6067843357_8d69c1ce94_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …helightcanada/6​067843357/  (external link)
LD0Q1067to1069 (external link) by JasonLafreniere (external link), on Flickr

Thanks for viewing!

My Website (external link)
Gear and Feedback

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,111 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 22, 2011 08:59 |  #2

It's really close to being an outstanding image, but for some reason it falls short to me. Compostion is excellent, though I think I'd crop just a bit off the bottom . Shots like this are often presented with a little longer exposure, making a little more of a ghost of the water surface. I'm not sure if that's what's bothering me or not. I like the sky. The color and clouds look very natural. (You have a few dust spots that should be removed.) The color of the water seems a bit to orange to me, especially in the foreground. Maybe take a little of the saturation out of it? I'm not sure I'm helping. I want to love this, but I'm not. Hope my suggestions help.

Jon
So much to learn, so little time.
A few worthy shots (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,792 posts
Gallery: 236 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 22, 2011 09:41 as a reply to  @ J-Blake's post |  #3

While it's a very nice shot, and with the combo of cpl filter and the gnd, you are getting that smooth look to the water, I agree with Jon that the image seems too orange to my eyes.

I realize that colors in images like this is purely subjective but I thought I'd give you an alternate look. I just corrected for white balance and added a bit of contrast.

I hope you don't mind my edit and I understand if you don't care for this look.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Jason ­ L
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 22, 2011 10:53 |  #4

Thanks for the replies! I just wet cleaned my sensor 2 weeks ago, this 1D MK II is a dust magnet. This was as long of an exposure that still showed some detail in the rocks just below the water. I shot the foreground exposures between 6 and 30 seconds, this one at 8. Anything slower than 8 just gave me a a grey washed out foreground, with no texture in the water. Sometimes that works, but I wanted to show the texture of the rocks just under the water.

The foreground is orange. I shot in cloudy WB, and even with toning down the saturation -10 in the foreground, it was still pretty intense. Thanks for the edit, it was pretty close to what I was after. I changed the WB of my foreground and left the sky untouched, which was closer to how I was viewing it at the time of capture.

Here is the re-edit with the corrected WB layered into the foreground.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6087/6069993730_02ace08b58_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …helightcanada/6​069993730/  (external link)
LD0Q1067to1069wb corrected (external link) by JasonLafreniere (external link), on Flickr

My Website (external link)
Gear and Feedback

janok
262 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 23, 2011 12:58 |  #5

This motiv has a lot of potential I like the both the front and the sky.
The sunny-part of the sky is burnd out and the water seem to be a bit "foggy". Are you able to upload the orginal pictures? I would love to make a try to process this beautiful scene.

Jan O. Kiese | visit my Facebook (external link) page

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trying out new polarizer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.