Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Aug 2011 (Monday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how to have AF assist and radio trigger?

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 22, 2011 22:25 |  #1

I'm a newbie to flash. Therefore need some help here. I have a 5D and 60D, 580ex and 430 ex. I've tested triggering 580 ex and 430 ex with 60D builtin wireless trigger, or trigger the 430 ex with on-camera 580ex, as I understand this is optical trigger. However I noticed that the range or the placement is limited for the optical slave.

I wonder if I get a radio trigger, and in the meantime using either 430 or 580 on 5D for AF assist in the case of dark environment where AF doesn't work, how shall I set it up? I guess that I need to connect the radio trigger to 5D via PC port, since the hot shoe will be taken by the external flash ? Does radio triggers normally support PC port connection? Is there a way I can disable external flash firing flash, but only IR for AF assist? I don't see it in 5D menu.
How about for 60D? I know it doesn't have PC port, so that means I can't use external flash and radio trigger at the same time on hot shoe?

Sorry for so many questions.

thanks a lot!

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

sponsored links
Blackey ­ Cole
480 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 23, 2011 04:22 |  #2

IIRC AF Assist will not work unless the flash is on the camera. I am not sure if that applies to the Pocket Wizard Flexes since they are used in EFF Mode but I would bet that they would not work since they on camera menus do not work when a flesh is in a Mini on top of the camera. or at least on my 40D.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Gear List

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2011 06:22 |  #3

genjurok wrote in post #12982138 (external link)
I'm a newbie to flash. Therefore need some help here. I have a 5D and 60D, 580ex and 430 ex. I've tested triggering 580 ex and 430 ex with 60D builtin wireless trigger, or trigger the 430 ex with on-camera 580ex, as I understand this is optical trigger. However I noticed that the range or the placement is limited for the optical slave.

Aim the sensor on the front of the Slave flash at the master. Then rotate the head and aim it at your subject. I agree that using the Canon Wireless System can be limiting in certain situations.

I wonder if I get a radio trigger, and in the meantime using either 430 or 580 on 5D for AF assist in the case of dark environment where AF doesn't work, how shall I set it up? I guess that I need to connect the radio trigger to 5D via PC port, since the hot shoe will be taken by the external flash ? Does radio triggers normally support PC port connection?

Yes, but that's a broad question. Some will work right out of the box, and with others, you'll need to buy an adapter or cable.

Is there a way I can disable external flash firing flash, but only IR for AF assist? I don't see it in 5D menu.
How about for 60D?

Yes, read your manual. It's under the Custom Functions.

I know it doesn't have PC port, so that means I can't use external flash and radio trigger at the same time on hot shoe?

Sorry for so many questions.

thanks a lot!

You can buy a hot shoe adapter that has a PC port on the side. Then you can mount the flash on top of the adapter as well.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2011 06:25 |  #4

Blackey Cole wrote in post #12983309 (external link)
IIRC AF Assist will not work unless the flash is on the camera. I am not sure if that applies to the Pocket Wizard Flexes since they are used in EFF Mode but I would bet that they would not work since they on camera menus do not work when a flesh is in a Mini on top of the camera. or at least on my 40D.

Using the Pixel Knight triggers, I was able to use the AF assist on off-camera slaves. With these triggers, the flash thinks it's still on the camera, so AF assist still works. I'm not sure what other triggers can do this, though.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

genjurok
THREAD ­ STARTER
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 23, 2011 08:16 |  #5

Thanks to everyone for the help! Appreciate it :-)

6D

genjurok
THREAD ­ STARTER
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 23, 2011 08:19 |  #6

klr.b wrote in post #12983559 (external link)
Using the Pixel Knight triggers, I was able to use the AF assist on off-camera slaves. With these triggers, the flash thinks it's still on the camera, so AF assist still works. I'm not sure what other triggers can do this, though.

Actually I was thinking about getting the Pixel knight tr-332 radio trigger for e-ttl and HSS too.

Interesting! Did you find that the AF assist from off-camera slaves work properly or accurately? How does it work, is it the same way as on-camera external flash, when you half press shutter, the IR AF assist beam is fired, from the off-camera slave in this case?

Thanks a lot!

6D

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 23, 2011 09:42 |  #7

I got the Pixel radio trigger a few weeks back. I've used it on the 7D on every studio session since, and the AF works just fine, with a Cybersync setup.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 23, 2011 13:52 |  #8

genjurok wrote in post #12983856 (external link)
Actually I was thinking about getting the Pixel knight tr-332 radio trigger for e-ttl and HSS too.

Interesting! Did you find that the AF assist from off-camera slaves work properly or accurately? How does it work, is it the same way as on-camera external flash, when you half press shutter, the IR AF assist beam is fired, from the off-camera slave in this case?

Thanks a lot!

It actually surprised me when it went off because no one really talked about that feature. Yes, it works the same way. The only thing is with the AF Assist, the flash is meant to be mounted on top of the camera. This lines up the AF points on your camera with the AF beams. So there's a chance that the points won't align if you use it off camera. It worked for me, though.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

1,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
how to have AF assist and radio trigger?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.