Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 02:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Editing help - remove power lines!

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 24, 2011 02:03 |  #1

I took this shot and a bunch of others at a friends wedding. I'm not a pro and he had a paid photog there I just want to send him some of the pics I got. Anyway...

What's the best way to remove the power lines from this shot? I tried in LR3 but it leaves that nasty bunch of circles and smudges instead. I have PSE but am not great at masking and painting and such...

Can anybody give me a quick idea as to how to tackle this job. Not asking for a freebie here just a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cheers

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 552316 does not exist. ]

Matt
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 24, 2011 02:24 |  #2

Cloning, which is a common tool in Lightroom and all the "imitators". Just be aware that there is work involved. Cloning is a sometimes painstaking effort of taking a sample from an image and copying it into an offending place.

Here you have plenty of blue sky, but you should be aware that one spot of blue sky is typically not "happy" with blending with another spot of blue sky (maybe too dark or too light or whatever).

If you take this as a "learning project" then you could work on it and learn a lot, if you do some studying up on the subtleties involved with cloning.

But, if you are trying to get something out quickly to these folks then, well, umm, maybe too much for you to tackle. In that case you have to choose between as-is and paying someone who has a lot of experience/knowhow and who can demonstrate their abilities.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 24, 2011 07:37 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

Gotta agree with Tony, you've got 10-12 wires to get rid of in various backgrounds, this could turn in to a real PITA.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 24, 2011 07:52 |  #4

Crop in on the couple in the middle and lose the rest...

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2011 07:56 |  #5

I'd clone them out in PSE, rather then LR. LR spot removal is no substitute for "real" cloning IMO. (Yes, it could be done in LR, but it would be a royal PITA)

What version PSE do you have?
http://www.thedigitalp​hotoguy.com …ol-in-photoshop-elements/ (external link)

Also, the people need considerable brightening…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

2DP
118 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 24, 2011 08:03 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #6

Honestly,
I would crop the image and create a portrait. Your workload on power lines would be slashed, and the bridal party aren't adding value to the image. Still use the image though, for clone practising with PS as others have mentioned.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 24, 2011 08:08 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #7

The cloning/healing tool in LR is not really designed for this level of cloning. They are more for small spots, that's why you ended up with a mess. I use CS5 so I'm not familiar with PSE and I don't know what options you have in your version. I think Content Aware Fill is available in PSE9 so look into using it. What you're wanting to do is gonna take some time. I'd set the Clone tool blending mode to Lighten and clone away at each wire in the sky. You may need to change the blend mode to Darken over the mountain area or even Normal. Set the brush size to just a little bigger than what you're cloning. Sample from above and below the wires to help blend in.

You may also be able to select portions of the clean sky, copy to it's own layer, and move it over the wires, and blend in.

It's gonna take some time and effort to get right, especially if you're going to print at any size. If there are several shots like this it may not be worth the time/effort, but save it for a rainy day learning project.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

birdman59
317 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 24, 2011 09:27 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #8

Turning on image editing permission may get you some help from those of us in the peanut gallery.

Life is way too short.. go take some photos.

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 24, 2011 09:30 |  #9

sticknpuck wrote in post #12989305 (external link)
I tried in LR3 but it leaves that nasty bunch of circles and smudges instead.

Sometimes you need to do small parts, reselect the source area, & just sneak up on it.
Sometimes the patch tool works best if you isolate the area with the clone tool first, & then patch that section.
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=7673809&po​stcount=11

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2011 09:35 |  #10

Nothing beats the Spot Healing power of Photoshop CS5.

So, it looks like they had this ceremony on the side of a highway near a tree nursery or something. What a horrible location for a wedding.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

tkerr
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 24, 2011 09:44 |  #11

I have to agree with others here that are saying lose the background. Cloning all that would be time consuming painstaking work in PSE.
Otherwise this picture is a great candidate for CS5 and its content aware capabilities.
http://i68.photobucket​.com …%20Images/MoonR​iseBNA.jpg (external link)

Even then power lines can be tedious work.

Tim Kerr
Money Talks, But all I hear mine saying is, Goodbye!
F1, try it you'll like it.

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 24, 2011 09:56 |  #12

CameraMan wrote in post #12990542 (external link)
Nothing beats the Spot Healing power of Photoshop CS5.

So, it looks like they had this ceremony on the side of a highway near a tree nursery or something. What a horrible location for a wedding.

That's a winery. Common location for weddings for those who don't want to have it at a church or reception hall.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

sticknpuck
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 24, 2011 10:21 |  #13

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions..

mtimber wrote in post #12989993 (external link)
Crop in on the couple in the middle and lose the rest...

Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess), this is the only shot that I wanted to get with the power lines in there. The others are all portraits and void (mostly) of power lines. I can fix this one pretty easily I think... I know - cutting off the dress was a bad move..:oops:

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 552355 does not exist. ]

Thanks for the vid tutorial René will check it out. Is this better or did I overcook it? I just did a quick job of it so I will clean it up and make it look more natural before sending it to them...

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 552358 does not exist. ]

No actually, it was a beautiful location for a wedding. But not the best location for wedding photos - and the photos weren't top priority for their ceremony so I don't think it bothered them. Mistaken Identity Winery on Saltspring Island, B.C. Far from any highways - great weather and a fun location to spend a weekend with some old friends. :)

Anyway, when I get some time to practice on it I'll post what I come up with.

BTW, these uploads look horrible to me. Is it better to post them hosted from Flickr? I'll check into it...

Cheers!

Matt
flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2011 10:46 |  #14

Still (way) to dark: As in: Bride is at least a stop underexposed.

Your original, with a Q&D curves adjustment layer with a (sloppy) airbrushed mask:
(view in a colormanaged browser)

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20110824-1rartfq73wt5b97phgyxb6rj5m.preview.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/fumrq/photosho​p  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

Gives this: (excuse the jpg compression): Still no detail to speak of in the dresses and suits though. You might do better with the original (certainly if it's a Raw)

On the attachments: They can be 150kB max.
If you upload elsewhere, you can use a better quality, and embed them or (if larger then 1024 px) link to them: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=157706 )

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 24, 2011 10:57 |  #15

Crop and make it a vertical to the top of the tree and just inside the first guy and first girl.
Set Clone tool on lighten with a soft brush at 100 percent and size to be about the same as the wire. That should work to quickly get rid of any remnants that are still there. If it needs some mop up set then clone tool on normal at 20 percent with a soft brush and even out what is left.

sponsored links

5,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Editing help - remove power lines!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.