Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 21:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D Bodies to 7D

kevinmcdade
603 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 24, 2011 21:03 |  #1

I just did something that I thought I would never do; I sold both of my 1D bodies and ALL of my lenses! EVERYTHING!!!!! At one point in time I was shooting several weddings per year, several events, lots of bicycle races and portraits. My day time job has become so demanding that I have not been able to pickup any photography jobs in quite some time.

I replaced everything with a 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, Sigma 10-20, and a Canon 70-200 f/4. This will give me good enough equipment in case my work load lightens and I am able to start photographing events again. It's been a long time since I've been without a 1D. I never thought I'd say it but I'm kind of looking forward to the 7D!!!:)

-KMc-
Canon 7D | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | Sigma 10-20 | Canon 70-200L f/4

sponsored links
twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,964 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 24, 2011 21:27 |  #2

Funny, as I just went from a 7d to a 1DIII...:) .

The 7d is a fine camera and I think you'll enjoy it. Remember to shoot to the right! :D

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2011 21:52 |  #3

had a 1d2n briefly. It was great. But the weight was silly for what I shoot - FPJ. Also I don't take it out for personal use because again it's big and bulky preferring to my 30d. Replaced it with a 7D. No regrets. Everything from AF sophistication, customization, video, modern features.... and lighter weight trumps it. To the point that it becomes the work/personal camera.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,964 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 24, 2011 22:59 |  #4

delhi wrote in post #12994846 (external link)
had a 1d2n briefly. It was great. But the weight was silly for what I shoot - FPJ. Also I don't take it out for personal use because again it's big and bulky preferring to my 30d. Replaced it with a 7D. No regrets. Everything from AF sophistication, customization, video, modern features.... and lighter weight trumps it. To the point that it becomes the work/personal camera.

My IIn was heavy and bulky as well. It was also a dinosaur in terms of iso performance. Oddly, the 7d + grip is actually heavier than the IIn was, but of course, the grip is removable (a point in favor of the 7d, imo).

I see the OP sold off his mkIII as well, which to me is a much better body than the IIn. The 7d will yield a bigger file than the mkIII, but at higher iso's I personally find the mkIII's files more malleable and forgiving. Horses for courses. :)

kevinmcdade
THREAD ­ STARTER
603 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 25, 2011 05:41 as a reply to  @ twoshadows's post |  #5

The size of my 1D bodies is what finally made me sell them off. I absolutely loved the files from my 1D Mark II the best!!! I briefly owned a 7D when it was first released but sold it due to the large files. Since then, I have built a new computer with the processing power (6 Core) and storage space (4TB) to accommodate the larger files. I do remember absolutely loving the focus system and the ability to control my off camera flashes. These are the two main features that made me pick the 7D over the 5D Mark II.

-KMc-

kevinmcdade
THREAD ­ STARTER
603 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 28, 2011 19:46 as a reply to  @ kevinmcdade's post |  #6

I received all of my new goodies and have been playing around with the 7D and the Sigma lenses. I'm totally digging the 7D and all of the new features. The focus system is A+! I like all of the different options within the focusing system and how easily it is to toggle between each. The built in wireless trigger is a very cool feature that I will get lots of use out of. I never thought I would say it but I have already used and like the video feature. It's very cool to have! With all of the cool features built into the 7D, I am extremely happy with my choice in camera body.

The Sigma lenses are nice for the money. I do like the build and feel better than the one Tamron that I had in the past. The 10-20 has a silky smooth zoom ring (very Canon L series like). The 17-50 on the other hand is a little stiff and zooms the opposite way than I prefer. Both are VERY sharp out of the box!!!

The 70-200L f/4 is a perfect size option. It does not weigh my bag down very much so it goes every where with me (unlike my 2.8 IS version that I just sold). I can now use some of my smaller bags which means my gear will go most places with me.

I thought I would regret getting rid of my 1D bodies (1d2 and 1d3) but I don't. I'm glad that I now have a more portable body and one with all of the new features.

-KMc-

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,383 posts
Gallery: 565 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 28, 2011 19:54 |  #7

I want to add a 1-series to my system, It probubly will be my next acquisition to get a 1DsII and swap the Canon 100L for the Sigma 150 OS Macro for macro work...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
6,964 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 28, 2011 20:29 |  #8

kevinmcdade wrote in post #13015743 (external link)
I received all of my new goodies and have been playing around with the 7D and the Sigma lenses. I'm totally digging the 7D and all of the new features. The focus system is A+! I like all of the different options within the focusing system and how easily it is to toggle between each. The built in wireless trigger is a very cool feature that I will get lots of use out of. I never thought I would say it but I have already used and like the video feature. It's very cool to have! With all of the cool features built into the 7D, I am extremely happy with my choice in camera body.

The Sigma lenses are nice for the money. I do like the build and feel better than the one Tamron that I had in the past. The 10-20 has a silky smooth zoom ring (very Canon L series like). The 17-50 on the other hand is a little stiff and zooms the opposite way than I prefer. Both are VERY sharp out of the box!!!

The 70-200L f/4 is a perfect size option. It does not weigh my bag down very much so it goes every where with me (unlike my 2.8 IS version that I just sold). I can now use some of my smaller bags which means my gear will go most places with me.

I thought I would regret getting rid of my 1D bodies (1d2 and 1d3) but I don't. I'm glad that I now have a more portable body and one with all of the new features.

Glad you're happy. It's nice to hear... :)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 28, 2011 22:51 |  #9

kevinmcdade wrote in post #12994526 (external link)
... I replaced everything with a 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, Sigma 10-20, and a Canon 70-200 f/4. ...

With your experience, I'm taking careful note of your lens choices.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 29, 2011 01:22 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #10

FWIW, the 7d's shutter system is similar to the 1dIII. So the shutter sound should be about the same too. None of that whirring and whining like the other EOS cameras.

TSmith8779
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 29, 2011 11:11 |  #11

I really like my 7D, and the Sigma lenes I have. Been thinking of getting the 17-50 Sig too. Looks great on paper and in the reviews.

Canon 6D & 7D. Panasonic GX85 and a number of ever changing lenses.

brownmichael
164 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 29, 2011 12:19 as a reply to  @ TSmith8779's post |  #12

I'd suggest doing a thorough focus test with your Sigma 17-50 2.8.

I got one several weeks ago for my 7D and found that it would not focus properly using the outer focus points while in the middle of the zoom range. I tried another copy at a camera store and it did the same thing. Another member of this forum reported the same thing as well.

It's a great lens if it will play nice with your camera.

Mike

My current Canons: 5D, S90, 7D, 550D.
Current lenses: Canon 28 1.8, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.0, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-80 2.8, Tamron 75-200

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,560 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 29, 2011 12:36 |  #13

The 7D just feels fresher, in its feature set and its customizability. Having had a 7D next to a 1d4 and 5d2, I kept thinking back to "the 7D can do this, why can't these"? Of course the 7D is newer than the 5D2, and the 1D4 was already in the middle of its design cycle when they started the 7D design (they most likely started the 1D4 design once they figured out the 1D3 AF issues), so the 7D is newer than both.

It will be interesting to see where the 1D series heads, if the rumors hold any water at all.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 29, 2011 14:15 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #14

I posted the question over at the Rumours & Crystal Ball section.
Will the next 1d have the same 7D type AF system but with 45pts instead. So Transmissive LCD, multi-array AF options etc etc...

I think it is time for Canon to move into the 21st century and discard the old focusing screens. You get so much more flexibility with the Transmissive LCD VF. A HUD like VF is the future.

Dooms_day
509 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 29, 2011 17:03 |  #15

I don't mind the weight of a 1D2 + 70-200 + YN560, and if it bothers me a little it takes 3 seconds to attach a monopod.

Canon EOS-1D mk ii + 70-200 4.0 USM L + Sigma 28-70mm 2.8-4 + Nifty 50
500px (external link) - Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

2,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D Bodies to 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.