Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have not sold one photograph, need help!

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 26, 2011 19:10 |  #46

Hikin Mike wrote in post #13005105 (external link)
I average 5000 hits a day. I've sold a few dozen prints this year ranging from 8 x 12 to 18 x 36. :cool:

There's an interesting metric, sales per hit.

5000/day is truly stunning, are you talking about "visits" in Google Analytic terms, or something more like "hits" being images & files downloaded to browsers?

If it's visits, then your Guide to SEO is working wonders :)
Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 26, 2011 20:20 |  #47

tracknut wrote in post #13005986 (external link)
There's an interesting metric, sales per hit.

5000/day is truly stunning, are you talking about "visits" in Google Analytic terms, or something more like "hits" being images & files downloaded to browsers?

If it's visits, then your Guide to SEO is working wonders :)
Dave

He asked about 'hits' and since Google isn't the only search engines, I had to find my Statistic page in my web CP (I don't use it, that's why I had to try and find it). Using GA only, I show 1700 visitors this month.

The articles I wrote do help, which is one of the reasons why I finally wrote them and posted them on my website. In January I was featured on Guideposts magazine and they included a link to my site. That generated some extra sales (and traffic obviously). But I have had some "generic" sales that had nothing to do with the magazine, but most likely due to my SEO efforts. :cool:

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 26, 2011 21:19 |  #48

Still a very nice number, congrats Mike.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 27, 2011 00:03 |  #49

tracknut wrote in post #13006552 (external link)
Still a very nice number, congrats Mike.

Dave

Thanks Dave! My backpacking site (www.thebackcountry.org (external link)) gets around 6000 visits each month according to GA...

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 29, 2011 08:55 as a reply to  @ Hikin Mike's post |  #50

I want to thank all of you for the advice you have offered. I know it will not be easy, but I will be working on almost every suggestion. Check my site over the next few months and please give me some feedback!

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 30, 2011 14:56 |  #51

Love the sight and photos, you need to think about a book, that where your going to make your money. or you need to try and get contacts with magazines that print those types of pictures, but I think if you want to make money you should really think about a book

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

rlconklin
80 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 01, 2011 10:57 |  #52

I really like some of your images. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of demand for nature photos. Some of the landscapes might sell, but the only people who would be interested in them would be people who have a personal connection to the area (i.e. such as it's their favorite vacation spot). Not saying that your pictures aren't worthy, some of them are very nice, but the real problem you're going to run into is that there just isn't a market for those type photos.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon XTi, Canon 85 1.4L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 35-70, Canon 70-200

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 01, 2011 22:18 |  #53

rlconklin wrote in post #13035743 (external link)
I really like some of your images. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of demand for nature photos. Some of the landscapes might sell, but the only people who would be interested in them would be people who have a personal connection to the area (i.e. such as it's their favorite vacation spot). Not saying that your pictures aren't worthy, some of them are very nice, but the real problem you're going to run into is that there just isn't a market for those type photos.

I completely agree with you. I love photography and get enjoyment out of knowing a few people who know the area enjoy my site. I have had so much good advice from this forum that I can work on to improve my skills. It will give me something to do during the long winter nights! I'll keep learning and enjoying photography! When I do sell one, I'll take my wife of 38 years out to dinner and celebrate! That is what life is about. Thank you for the sensible advice!

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 01, 2011 22:55 |  #54

Looks like snap shots anyone could take. People generaly tend to buy stuff that has a meaning to them, not oh, theres an animal. And the prices are rediculous.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 01, 2011 22:59 |  #55

Many your landscape shoots are nice; but who you expect to buy those rabbit , duck etc photos?

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 04, 2011 10:59 as a reply to  @ x_tan's post |  #56

So, you asked for suggestions and advice.

It does not look like a shop.
How are you promoting your page...FB or Etsy or anything?
Your images are nice. but I am not going to hang any on my walls.
Do you think your images are better than what others can do?
HAve you considered printing and just selling at craft fairs etc?

Good luck, you can tell you enjoy your photography.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 04, 2011 11:03 |  #57

+...You have alll your family pics included also.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 04, 2011 21:31 as a reply to  @ tracknut's post |  #58

It's too hard to find the buy button. That should be jumping off the screen at you, not hiding in the navbar. Then it takes you like 3 clicks to even get to the buy page. And even when you're on the buy page, it doesn't even tell which print you've selected to buy, it only shows you the size you selected. I would change those things if I were you.

Edwin ­ Herdman
747 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 05, 2011 00:55 |  #59

sierrarisse wrote in post #12995238 (external link)
I am color blind to greens, reds, blues and purple so I avoid photoshop. Without a doubt, I will mess it up thinking it looks better! I will look into vividness, as long as it does not change the color i should be able to do something with this. Thank you for the advice.

First, thanks for sticking with photography and loving it and not letting your unique vision let you down! If I were you I'd seriously look branching out into B&W photography - tone and composition thankfully translate very well to all people with sight. I would also look into having somebody around who can be relied on for a second opinion on color matters. It will obviously take some faith to let somebody else handle your images, but it might help a bit. On the other hand, I would not worry too much about default colors from the camera - I tend to like the colors presented to me in a scene and even my cheaper T1i seems to handle them quite right - when something's not right it's either white balance (which should be immediately obvious) or something even worse light contrast problems (blown highlights which should also be immediately obvious).

I would not let anybody sell your color vision short though - these are just my thoughts about ways you can branch out and test the images out. If somebody messes with your images, and you don't think it looks right, you'll be able to trust your eyes. The only challenge is that some colors might be shifted one way or another from something "preferred," but as long as WB is on a roughly correct setting, I think that cameras mostly get those right - contrasts you'll spot right away and I think are more critical.

As a bonus, you probably can spot some camouflaged animals (or things) quicker than some of us "normal seeing" folks and that may help you get a leg up on some interesting scenes.

About the actual store page: Composition is pretty critical here. There is a lot of empty space at the top of the page - scrolling isn't as critical a problem as it used to be in the '90s but you still want something big to catch your eye right away.

I don't see a lot of photographer websites that are branded like a corporate website, so having a big logo is perhaps not essential unless you are really trying for a "brand" that is different from just your name. And as far as brands go, "Nature Trail Photography" doesn't catch me - it is not a natural-sounding phrase, and it doesn't suggest to me something unique.

I wouldn't throw away the URL yet, because it is simple to remember and that may increase the chances somebody would go to the site - maybe even to your site instead of somebody else's.

The next order of business, of course, is to get that main page up to snuff. Frame-filling backgrounds are tricky and I don't think they age well - yours fills my 1920x1200 screen and that's about as wide as the usual screen gets these days, however the pattern isn't telling me anything in particular about your photography, and it also isn't especially interesting.

A real photo of a drought-cracked landscape would be an improvement (if that's the look you want to express), but an even simpler alternative might be either a single centered photograph on a black background, or one of those slideshow frontends that many photographers use to achieve the same effect (good photo on a black background and the user can switch to others if they are interested). I think the software to do that easily is out there at not too bad prices.

I would move the text lower, and only reserve it for things that are really important. It's nice to be thanked for going to your website, but I would be more interested if you told us what sorts of unique images you see right away. Now, I don't see this in your site, but I would resist going to a blog format because blogs often have update posts with no pictures - so getting one going that feels fresh and up-to-date (blogs have to be) while still demonstrating your photographs is going to be a challenge. I see lots of photographer blogs I like - but like that famous mag I mostly read 'em for the articles. :P More to the point the pictures on those places aren't selling to me.

Best of luck with the site and the career!

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 06, 2011 04:32 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

blunt honest truth is the photos look mediocre to bad. "Technically" A lot are good but there really isn't anything special that people can't get for free online.

Also, your sky shots need to be photographed more during "magic" lighting hours. Adds a lot more mood and will attract the eyes much more. Colors such as seen here http://500px.com/photo​/1837900 (external link) which has sold many prints and is my only selling photo

your sunset/sunrise shots could use some GND filters as there is poor dynamic range

sorry, i just read you are color blind. good luck and keep shooting!

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

sponsored links

11,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have not sold one photograph, need help!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.