Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have not sold one photograph, need help!

daclozer
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 21, 2011 13:55 |  #61

form wrote in post #12997132 (external link)
If you're color blind, you should not do color photography even if you have any skill.

Sorry, I have to disagree with that statement. My girlfriends son is colorblind and he just graduated with a degree in art and is an amazing artist.

2 30D/BG-E2
70-200L f2.8 Canon
28-75mm f2.8 Tamron
www.freezeframefoto.bi​z (external link)
http://www.etsy.com/sh​op/freezeframefoto (external link)

sponsored links
markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 22, 2011 00:16 |  #62

This thread just got bumped and so I read all the posts.

The real goal is to sell prints right?
Your website needs to cut to the chase and make it abundantly clear to the viewer that this site sells photos. Your does not (as has been mentioned before). Get a template that looks clean, uncluttered and contemporary. Yours is OK but very generic and looks like a SmugMug page.

As to the quality of your photos..... some are very good , some less so. Push yourself. Look at every image you can and see the things you like and the things you don't like. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Search Flickr and you will be blown away by the quality of landscape images that amateurs are not even trying to sell.

You want to sell? Pretend that your house payment depends on it. Hone your craft. Talk to others, get critiques from good photographers, not anonymous hacks on the internet.

Putting up a bunch of randomly curated images and hoping someone buys is not a business.

Best of luck.

touch
22 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 24, 2011 06:18 |  #63

turn off the dreadful auto-start music - i'm afraid i can't add much more help here as i didn't last 5 seconds on the site because of this.

stephenb49
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 24, 2011 20:48 as a reply to  @ touch's post |  #64

That music is a good reason for immediately navigating away from your site for the majority of the world, and no way for a viewer who wants to view the photos, to turn it off, just have to grin and bear it...and I would bet you haven't got the necessary permissions to use it either.

Photos: well a lot of average stuff, says more like I'll have a look at these photos for a few minutes: certainly nothing that says I'd love that on my wall for a couple of years.

And I'm afraid all pics desperately in need of post camera work

Harpo63
265 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 24, 2011 21:12 as a reply to  @ stephenb49's post |  #65

Just read about a couple of accomplished photographers… they said they sold the most prints at places like craft or local fairs. Places where they could interact with the customers.

5D3 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-70 f2.8 II L : 70-200 f2.8 II L : 50mm f1.4 : 600EX-RT

sue.t
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 24, 2011 23:12 |  #66

Music drove me off quickly. Didn't hang around to view many images.

-

J ­ Michael
987 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 25, 2011 14:59 |  #67

Yep, ditch the music. Look into producing some products with your images, such as notecards and calendars.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 25, 2011 21:41 |  #68

I'd like to see some of these images on walls. As gallery wraps or something. That'd help me see what I'm buying. I've printed enough photos to know that you can't really judge one by its digital file. A bland photograph as an 800 pixel wide image on a computer can make gorgeous wall art.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mmb
117 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 26, 2011 11:05 |  #69

touch wrote in post #13593424 (external link)
turn off the dreadful auto-start music - i'm afraid i can't add much more help here as i didn't last 5 seconds on the site because of this.

stephenb49 wrote in post #13595540 (external link)
That music is a good reason for immediately navigating away from your site for the majority of the world, and no way for a viewer who wants to view the photos, to turn it off, just have to grin and bear it...and I would bet you haven't got the necessary permissions to use it either.

sue.t wrote in post #13595908 (external link)

All of these. If you must have music, give us a way to turn it off.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 26, 2011 11:30 |  #70

touch wrote in post #13593424 (external link)

stephenb49 wrote in post #13595540 (external link)
That music is a good reason for immediately navigating away from your site for the majority of the world...

sue.t wrote in post #13595908 (external link)

J Michael wrote in post #13597646 (external link)
Yep, ditch the music...

mmb wrote in post #13600408 (external link)
All of these. If you must have music, give us a way to turn it off.

Yep...I tried to ignore tha God-awful music, but after 30 secs, I had to run.
Was expecting Grizzly Adams to come bursting out of my monitor at any second.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

dolfinack
415 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 26, 2011 12:03 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #71

I'd say get rid of the music.

Try to make your images unique. Most of them are nice, but nothing that people can't ge themselves. Different viewpoints etc are appreciated by shoppers.

And I'm not shouting in a mean way here... but... FIX YOUR HORIZONS!!!!

Me flickr (external link) Canon 40D | 17-40L | Canon 18-55mm IS | Tamron 55-200mm Di II | Nifty Fifty Canon 50mm 1.8 ii and a big cheapo tripod thingy. Cokin P filter system. 430ex ii Speedlite

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 26, 2011 12:25 |  #72

The OP asked for help on August 24, and now, 4 months later, nothing has changed...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

7D_Shooter
92 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 26, 2011 13:15 |  #73

You really need to lose the music.

sponsored links

11,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have not sold one photograph, need help!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.