Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 09:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado

dig-it-al
326 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 25, 2011 09:00 |  #1

Shots from Pro Cycling Challenge, Prologue time trial in Colorado Springs.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
rrookey
299 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 25, 2011 11:20 |  #2

Very Nice :) I like #2 the way you framed him.. :)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2011 12:18 |  #3

#2 is 'okay' although I don't feel anything is special about it. I'd feel differently if the background was at least interesting. #1 toss - okay, so you've got the "Bissel" stopped, but meh. It looks more like you fell behind on the pan and just managed to sneak him into the frame without cutting part of him off. Delete. Sorry!

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

FA_Productions
577 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 25, 2011 19:44 |  #4

#1 ok

#2 I like

Canon 7D, 1D mkIII - 580EX Speedlite
Canon 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200L, 100-400L

jwtphoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,881 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 26, 2011 09:48 |  #5

Biffbradford wrote in post #12997929 (external link)
#2 is 'okay' although I don't feel anything is special about it. I'd feel differently if the background was at least interesting. #1 toss - okay, so you've got the "Bissel" stopped, but meh. It looks more like you fell behind on the pan and just managed to sneak him into the frame without cutting part of him off. Delete. Sorry!

agree on #1 but disagree on #2 mainly due to the sky in the image.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

dig-it-al
THREAD ­ STARTER
326 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 26, 2011 22:57 |  #6

As the photo sharing section for Sports, I did not expect comments on how much one likes or dislikes an image because that is a personal decision.

For example if someone likes to see the technology of road bikes, they would probably like sharp images of the racers' bikes so they could admire the frames and components. If someone was interested in bike racing as an art, then they would probably gravitate towards images that were unique, perhaps showing the facial expressions of racers or something that communicates speed with blur or integrates racing with the environment or uses abstraction in new ways.

I am do not see the point of telling someone that they like or dislike an image because... As long as the photographer is pleased with the results and believes that their intent is communicated to the viewer, then that photographer should consider their effort a success.

I think the point of any art is to find your own way to express yourself and not bend to the opinions of others. Of course, if photography is how you earn a living, then you do not have as much freedom and must find ways to please the customer.

Happy shooting!

Dr. ­ Gonzo
419 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 26, 2011 23:23 |  #7

Both are awesome images. Awesome crop on number 2 tho. I keep coming back to look at that photo. Great profile and sky!

Canon 7d
17-40mm f/4 L
50mm f/ 1.4
70-200 2.8 L
www.SpcImaging.com (external link)

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2011 00:27 |  #8

dig-it-al wrote in post #13006998 (external link)
As the photo sharing section for Sports, I did not expect comments on how much one likes or dislikes an image because that is a personal decision.

Then what do you expect to get in reply by posting the photos? If you want a technical review of the photos Im sure there are people on the site that would willing to critique them.

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 27, 2011 08:29 |  #9

The only place you can post images without any sort of feedback is your own site. Everywhere else, that I know of, you're going to get comments. Good and bad.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Dr. ­ Gonzo
419 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 27, 2011 20:34 |  #10

I agree that comments will be good and bad. But it sounds like he want's more critique than opinions.

Canon 7d
17-40mm f/4 L
50mm f/ 1.4
70-200 2.8 L
www.SpcImaging.com (external link)

VSS2011
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 28, 2011 01:09 |  #11

No. 2...Andy Schleck? Just goes to show his need to improve his time trialling skills :D

I like it but feel that it lacks a sense of speed or movement - a little blur in the front spokes/rear wheel would add to the effect.

Age is a state of mind, and I don't.

Leftcoast_Mike
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 28, 2011 01:13 |  #12

as a few have said already, I like the crop on #2 but both are good shots.

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 28, 2011 09:03 |  #13

Dr. Gonzo wrote in post #13011114 (external link)
I agree that comments will be good and bad. But it sounds like he want's more critique than opinions.

WHat's the difference?

phazelag
44 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 19:29 |  #14

Biffbradford wrote in post #13013105 (external link)
WHat's the difference?

I am still learning, but when I critique something "anything" for improvement, I dont look for what I like and didnt like. If he didnt like them he would not have posted them. I look for something maybe he could do next time in camera to improve. Or maybe something he could do in PS to improve these.

The Top shot I am biased as I used to follow Tom Zirbel when he was on Bissell and hope to see him rise again larger than life! But it looks like an ad for Bissell with the focus on that. If you have it in .Raw maybe a little fill light in Lightroom or PS could bring that part up his leg and shorts. But I dont know. I like it.

It the bottom shot a pano of two shots? I love it. The Trek rider pops. Maybe some clarity or contrast one way or the other on the clouds and mountains but they look how they look! I am reaching for something to give you.

I think you did a great job! :) Have you done shots like the top with flash and high speed sync? I am about try some with my 30ft. TTL cord. Its the recycle times I am worried about. But I will be practicing at a crit practice with plenty of chances.

If this is not a critique forum. My bad I cant tell but I that is my answer to the poster above.

Z
www.scottzinda.com (external link)

phazelag
44 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 20:05 |  #15

I now see the forum for critiques is a few more spaces down called the critique corner. I have been on this forum a long time. But I have mainly been sharing photos on a forum for my camera. So I am just now branching out. But I have used critques on other forums and usually they are confined to the critique forum or in the case of 500px.com they expect thick skins so it like or dislike on every photo! But comments are not always productive unless the person is trying to help the person improve.

Z
www.scottzinda.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,498 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.