Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why CONUS?

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 25, 2011 19:19 |  #1

How come when people want to sell something, they only want to sell it to CONUS?

What is the reasoning behind this?

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Aug 25, 2011 19:24 |  #2

Shipping charges?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 25, 2011 19:38 |  #3

A lot of times it has to do with fraud and the ability to get protection from a scammer.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 25, 2011 19:42 |  #4

Yea, mostly fraud and shipping charges. Try FedExing a $1,200 lens to SIngapore and you find out it costs a ton and if the buyer disputes the charge what are you going to do?

TabulaVicious
512 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 25, 2011 19:48 as a reply to  @ Kronie's post |  #5

It costs more to ship to Alaska and Hawaii. Personally, I'll ship there, but I'll charge more to cover my costs.

I've shipped to Canada and even though I shipped it USPS International Priority, it still took two weeks to clear through customs. I've also shipped to Puerto Rico before, which is technically domestic, but it costs a little more and takes more time to get there as well.

Shipping to places in Asia, Europe, or Africa don't have much appeal to me because of the extra time, expense, and chance for things to go wrong.

6D | 50D | 35-80 Macro | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100-400L | 580EX II | 580EX II

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,139 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 25, 2011 19:57 |  #6

TabulaVicious wrote in post #13000499 (external link)
It costs more to ship to Alaska and Hawaii.

Depends on the method. Priority Mail is the same cost to Honolulu as it is to Boston.

ddmitchell
82 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 26, 2011 16:01 |  #7

mike_d wrote in post #13000530 (external link)
Depends on the method. Priority Mail is the same cost to Honolulu as it is to Boston.

Exactly!

Shipping to Alaska and HI (PR/Guam and others for that matter) are all USPS Zone 8. This is the same price as shipping from NY to CA or FL to WA.

The old days of HI and AK being huge amounts more for shipping are gone as long as you use the Postal service. The problem is that most people haven't realized that, or for convenience they prefer UPS/Fedex which are still pretty $$.

For the things I've bought here, I've had sellers who said "CONUS only" agree to ship to me without any problems.

But, I have skipped adds for things that I might have bought frivolously because they said CONUS only.

---------------
Dave Mitchell Flickr (external link)
Juneau, Alaska
7D |40D| Canon 100-400L | Canon 70-200L |Tokina 11-16 |Tamron 17-50| Canon 100mm Macro| and others

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Aug 26, 2011 16:10 |  #8

ddmitchell wrote in post #13005251 (external link)
But, I have skipped adds for things that I might have bought frivolously because they said CONUS only.

I suspect that in many cases the people who say CONUS do not realize that they are restricting themselves to the lower 48 and that they really meant to say "US Only". We Americans are not known for geography skillz, after all.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,304 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 26, 2011 16:41 |  #9

For me, I usually restrict to the US primarily for cost and ease of shipping reasons. I know some people say shipping international (especially to Canada) is easy, but for the most part that has not been my experience. It's too much hassle when I know I can usually get the same price within the US without the hassle.

Now, I have made exceptions, though rare. I have shipped items to Britain, Germany, Canada, etc. Sometimes people catch me in a good mood, or whatever. It's not carved in stone.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

ThatJamesGuy
270 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 26, 2011 17:08 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Most of the time people just aren't educated on how to deal with international shipping. Saying it costs more is BS, I don't know any canadians (using that as an example since I am one) who wouldn't expect/be okay with adding extra for shipping. I know I always ask how much shipped to where I live so people can check in the USPS calculator. As long as payment isn't gifted, tracking number/delivery confirmation is bought, and the forms are filled out right, there's really no risk involved.

Body: 1D Mark II
Lenses: 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 4 L
Flash: 430 EX

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,139 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 26, 2011 19:23 |  #11

ThatJamesGuy wrote in post #13005557 (external link)
Most of the time people just aren't educated on how to deal with international shipping. Saying it costs more is BS, I don't know any canadians (using that as an example since I am one) who wouldn't expect/be okay with adding extra for shipping. I know I always ask how much shipped to where I live so people can check in the USPS calculator. As long as payment isn't gifted, tracking number/delivery confirmation is bought, and the forms are filled out right, there's really no risk involved.

I don't know where you're looking, but it does cost more to ship to Canada from the US. I can ship a 3lb box to Buffalo via Priority Mail for $13.20 but its $24.95 to Toronto. A Priority Mail small flat rate box is $5.20 within the US but $11.95 to Canada and they impose a 4lb weight limit and max insured value of $400.

And don't even get me started on the hassles I found when trying to ship something via FedEx or UPS. With all the paperwork and declarations, you'd think I was trying to ship to North Korea. I finally wound up at the post office and yes, it was more than shipping domestically and they made me replace my plastic packing tape with paper tape from 1965.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 26, 2011 21:13 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #12

About three years ago I bought a 2nd hand 20D off a fellow POTNer. Shipping from the US to Laos was around 40 bucks, eight day delivery time.

Everything went as smooth as silk.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2011 23:38 |  #13

Most people have nO clue about what there doing when it cones to shipping, intact it's a well documented fact 80% of the is population don't know the current cost of a 1st class stamp

I ship from Hawaii all the time and would much rather use the postal service then ups or fed ex BECAUSE my packages get there intact and there insurance is cheaper as easier to claim against

View My Flickr (external link)

ThatJamesGuy
270 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 27, 2011 01:10 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #13006029 (external link)
I don't know where you're looking, but it does cost more to ship to Canada from the US. I can ship a 3lb box to Buffalo via Priority Mail for $13.20 but its $24.95 to Toronto. A Priority Mail small flat rate box is $5.20 within the US but $11.95 to Canada and they impose a 4lb weight limit and max insured value of $400.

And don't even get me started on the hassles I found when trying to ship something via FedEx or UPS. With all the paperwork and declarations, you'd think I was trying to ship to North Korea. I finally wound up at the post office and yes, it was more than shipping domestically and they made me replace my plastic packing tape with paper tape from 1965.

Did you read beyond the first line? I said it's BS because international people know and are fine with paying more, it's not like you have to eat the extra cost.

Body: 1D Mark II
Lenses: 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 4 L
Flash: 430 EX

sponsored links

1,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why CONUS?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.