Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Battery life on gripped 5DMKii ? Post your info please.

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 25, 2011 23:06 |  #1

I have a Zeikos grip for my 5D mark ii. I have the original canon battery with about 9k clicks on the battery. I just purchased a new Maxel battery. I shot about 1,600+ images last weekend.

Here are the battery statistics from the info page:

Maxel - 29% shutter count 1050

Canon - 54% 609 shutter count

Why does it use one battery more than the other? Is this a somewhat normal reading? Could you guys post your battery info readings so I can compare?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 25, 2011 23:08 |  #2

That's pretty standard. Remember too that the battery does more than work the shutter. The real question should be how long this aftermarket battery is lasting.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,626 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 25, 2011 23:18 |  #3

Interesting.

My 7D + OEM grip uses both battery at about the same. They're never more than 1-2% off in terms of usage. But I'm also using both Canon batteries, no aftermarket.

What's funny (to me at least) was that I went to an airshow this past Sunday (Aug 21) with 47% left on both batteries, having only shot about 500 photos total (had shot videos and chimped a bit for fun). I expected that I would need to swap batteries at the airshow.

Well... and additional 1500+ shots later (so now over 2k), My batteries were indicating 20% left on each at the end of shooting the airshow on Sunday.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 25, 2011 23:23 |  #4

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13001467 (external link)
That's pretty standard. Remember too that the battery does more than work the shutter. The real question should be how long this aftermarket battery is lasting.

So the 5D2 sometimes uses one battery more than the other maybe because one is aftermarket and one is Canon? Anyone else have statistics from their batteries? I had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS on it, so I guess IS used up some of the battery as well.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 25, 2011 23:25 |  #5

Canon even recommend you don't use aftermarket batteries in their cameras.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 25, 2011 23:32 |  #6

dexy101 wrote in post #13001524 (external link)
Canon even recommend you don't use aftermarket batteries in their cameras.

No company ever recommends aftermarket parts.... Why would they recommend for you to buy something from someone else other than them? Its also that they can not perform quality control, but the Maxel comes highly recommended on here, for 1/3 the price and should be about 90% the battery life.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 26, 2011 01:24 |  #7

professorman wrote in post #13001515 (external link)
So the 5D2 sometimes uses one battery more than the other maybe because one is aftermarket and one is Canon? Anyone else have statistics from their batteries? I had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS on it, so I guess IS used up some of the battery as well.

It could be as simple as one battery having a slightly higher capacity than the other. Right now my batteries are at 68 and 71%, but I've had times when the disparity was greater. I remember buying an aftermarket battery back when the OE batteries were still quite expensive and the aftermarket battery never lasted as long as the Canon battery. I'm not saying this is the case with you, I'm just saying it's not something I'd worry about as it could be perfectly normal. If it really bothers you get another Canon battery, charge them both up and go out for a day of shooting. After doing this several times you will know if it is the aftermarket battery or not; either way I still wouldn't worry about it.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 26, 2011 06:20 |  #8

I am not worried. It does last a long time. I mean, I am at 41.5% total battery life after 1,659 shots.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 26, 2011 07:48 |  #9

I haven't run both batteries low yet. I've shot back to back weddings and a senior the next day and still had some juice left. I don't use LV though so that does help. I don't remember the shot count though off hand.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

sponsored links

786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Battery life on gripped 5DMKii ? Post your info please.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.