Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 26 Aug 2011 (Friday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can someone explain the Canon/Nikon cockblocking to me?

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 26, 2011 16:37 |  #1

I'm struggling to understand why either company waits for one to release before the other? It's not as if Canon can add something new to an existing model if Nikon comes out with something superior (and vice versa)?

I see it mentioned a lot as if Canon is waiting for Nikon to show it's hand but cannot understand the logic behind it.

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Aug 26, 2011 16:39 |  #2

Have you ever played poker? Or chess?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 26, 2011 18:30 |  #3

Gel wrote in post #13005442 (external link)
I'm struggling to understand why either company waits for one to release before the other?

Why do you assume they're doing that?

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 26, 2011 20:12 |  #4

I think it would have to do with the momentum of a product launch. The most recent launch will always be what everyone is talking about. For instance, Sony just launched a ton of stuff and everyone is talking about their a77. Once Nikon/Canon announces their new products everyone will talk about them, and compare some. So whoever announces their product last would have the most momentum because it will be freshest in the consumer's mind.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

bongEstrella
602 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 27, 2011 12:08 |  #5

I think they are doing this so that they can adjust their pricing based on what the other company is offering. I remember when Nikon announced they d7000, Canon countered it with a $100 rebate on their 60d. Same with the video game industry, when Sony announced the uber-powered PS Vita, Nintendo cut the price of their 3D-S by a substantial amount.

My Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 60d, 15-85
Feedback

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 28, 2011 17:01 |  #6

Yeah its all about phyching the other company out.

as a company your always trying to sell as little as possible for as much as possible.

What stops you from doing that is competition.

I doubt they can change the spec of the cameras under development, but they can either delay or reengineer them, or more likely adjust pricing accordingly.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 29, 2011 02:31 |  #7

I believe both R&D depts check the competition but I don't think there's a 'cockblock' happening. Time, money, research, marketing and then release. Can't wait for some new goodies

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 29, 2011 10:50 |  #8

I wish one of the companies would just suck it up and release details of their next model already :p

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

Dkevdog
199 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 29, 2011 11:30 as a reply to  @ r34p3rex's post |  #9

I think that competition is more responsible for driving new product than anything else. Why would/should Canon/Nikon/Sony come out with a new body/lens/feature unless someone else has? It's a wait and see game, with each of them matching and raising the bar with each step.

5D Mk III Gripped - 1D Mk III - 7D Gripped - 17-40L ~ 24-105L ~ 70-200L 2.8 IS II - 100-400L ~ 100L ~ 300 f/2.8 ISL~ 8-15L Fisheye -Sigma 50mm 1.4 ~ Sigma 85mm 1.4 - 35mm 2.0 - other lenses and goodies (I'm a hoarder!) 600EX-RT - 220ex - Mettle's - Pixel King's

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 31, 2011 10:00 |  #10

I would guess it is about adjusting the marketing, rather than the product.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 01, 2011 12:07 |  #11

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, wondering what would be better than what we have right now. Especially when it comes to the high end professional cameras like the IDsIV. With the economy world wide being questionable, to put another $8,000 camera on the market you'd want to question how it needs to meet the needs of the future. Since it's been predicted by some that 90% of all internet photography within three years will be video, and that printed publications are slowly dying out, that leaves a lot to focus on with the internet being center focus and if the new high end cameras need to stay familiar in ergonomics or become something between video design and still design and how should the sensors and processors be designed to accomodate. And another quesiton I've been asking is, do sensors need to be redesigned for video, is there something that would improve them for this task.

I personally do not think stills are on their way out, but there is a mania for video, the problems lie more with the skills of the video photographers/director​s/producers in the areas where the content seems to suffer by the unskilled methods/sound etc. that will have to be learned. I come out of the film industry after over 30 years experience and there's a lot more different things to know creatively than with stills. Not that it can't be learned but you have to produce something really good to get people to watch a video now that we have access to so much of it instantly on the net.

Personally I only interested in still photography at this point in my life, partially because I can to it all myself, all of the time. Granted you can shoot a lot of stuff by yourself with video too but it's different. I want to tell my stories in a single photograph.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

investmenttechnology
25 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 22, 2011 12:26 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 22, 2011 15:20 |  #13

they're both way more successful than any of us, why doubt what they do?

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 23, 2011 23:15 |  #14

true, they are both more successful then the others, but while canon sleeps, and nikon waists its time with the most pointless mirrorless camera ever, olympus, panasonic and sony are stealing a good chunk of the market, and rightfully so, they are doing mirrorless the right way, and bringing more significant tech to the table.

sponsored links

3,466 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can someone explain the Canon/Nikon cockblocking to me?
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.