* Assume a Canon/Nikon 35mm Pro DSLR Body.
* Longest lens today 300/4 on a 1.4x. May get a 400/5.6 with a 1.4x someday. I don't see myself getting the wider aperture versions of these lenses so they should not be a factor.
* I am already invested in RRS/Wimberly Plates and a RRS Lever Clamp (although I might swap it for the Acratech version that comes with the GP ball head)
* This will mount on a Gitzo GT3541LS Carbon Fiber tripod without the center column.
* I also see myself switching the ball head between a monopod (GM3551) and a tripod. I know, not a smart choice, but I need to personally experience how bad it is in order to justify the cost of a dedicated single axis monopod head and clamp setup.
* I am looking for functional, compatibility and maintenance comparisons. I don't care about the aesthetics as much.
* Landscapes and people with a new found appreciation for architecture and abstracts.
So, with that background, I ask:
Markins Q20 versus Acratech GP - Which one would you chose and why?
Also what changed from the Markins M20 to the Q20?
At the moment I am inclined towards the Acratech GP with a lever release, but I have not come across much information on the experiences.
I was tempted to throw in the RRS BH-55 also in the mix for the question (it is very much a consideration in the purchase process), but I have already read this thread and it appears that other than the weight difference, there's no material difference between the BH-55 and the Q20 for my application. People have reported droop on both heads just as people have swore about no droop on both the heads. So I take it that it is either a user error OR an issue with that specific copy of the ball head as far as the droop goes.
I have also read this thread. The first 3 or so pages make a very interesting read but I don't understand why the OP drops the Acratech GP from the running on the 3rd or 4th page without any reasoning. I have no clue why it was eliminated.
I did come across a few other threads but couldn't draw much from those. Most become a fight between weight or some other non-functional aspects of the head like brand loyalty, aesthetics or just plain preferences without any specific reasoning.
Thanks in advance for your time on this, especially when it might seem like this post is like beating a dead horse over and over (as clearly, I'm still lost)!