Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Sep 2011 (Friday) 06:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF-S 17-85 has a serious manufacturing fault!

Cybermancer
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 02, 2011 06:26 |  #1

I have a Canon EF-S 17-85mm that developed the dreaded broken ribbon cable problem. depending on which camera body you use the error will be reported as Err 01 or Err 99. Unfortunately, this is a rather common fault with this lens -- Google and confirm for yourself.

I am visiting a mate of mine in the UK -- he has the same lens with exactly the same problem.

In both cases setting your camera to AV Mode, the lens aperture to wide open and zooming all the way out allows the camera to take photos without a problem. Zoom in beyond a certain point +- 30 to 40mm and an error occurs when attempting to take a picture regardless of the aperture setting. My suggestion is set your camera to Av mode and play around a bit with your Aperture setting and Lens Zoom settings -- then see what works.

Also, I suspect that what is being reported as an "aperture mechanism failure" by the Canon repair centers is actually a broken ribbon cable. IMHO. it would be more appropriate and honest for Canon to report it as a "Canon Manufacturing Failure".

Chaps, IMHO this is a Canon Lens with a very serious manufacturing fault. Do not buy this lens! If you already have one then I hope yours does not fail like mine and countless others have. Canon should accept to repair all Canon 17-85 lenses with a broken ribbon cable for free! Canon is seriously tarnishing it's reputation with such an unreliable lens. Mine gave up the ghost while on a visit to Zanzibar... Thanks Canon!

Personally, I have 3 Canon SLRs (10D, 40D and 5DmkII) and numerous Canon Compacts/Bridge cameras (SX1 IS, S3 IS and A480IS) and a couple of compacts from other manufacturers. Considering photography is only a hobby and light usage was made of this lens this is a shockingly poor performance by Canon.

I am considering buying the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II but at close to £1800 I am a little worried about my continued trust in Canon. I'll wait a while longer

sponsored links
mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2011 06:33 |  #2

the 17-85 really has that problem, my old 17-85 had it.

the 70-200 doesn't have that problem ...

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2011 06:57 |  #3

More to the point, what are canon doing about the problem (if at all). I agree with the O.P.

Regardless of how good Canon's other lenses are - is it a gamble if we choose to buy a new release / mark from Canon? Do we have to wait 12 months for other to try first, and see reports before we know if it's reliable, or will Canon honor their customers and stand behind their equipment and correct any manufacturing faults?

In the end... everyone will make mistakes - including companies and manufacturers. I have no issues with that. It's not whether we make a mistake or not... but how we conduct ourselves in regards to that mistake that makes the difference.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 02, 2011 07:09 |  #4

adza77 wrote in post #13040000 (external link)
More to the point, what are canon doing about the problem (if at all). I agree with the O.P.

Regardless of how good Canon's other lenses are - is it a gamble if we choose to buy a new release / mark from Canon? Do we have to wait 12 months for other to try first, and see reports before we know if it's reliable, or will Canon honor their customers and stand behind their equipment and correct any manufacturing faults?

In the end... everyone will make mistakes - including companies and manufacturers. I have no issues with that. It's not whether we make a mistake or not... but how we conduct ourselves in regards to that mistake that makes the difference.

Just have to live with it, I guess.

Canon is selling a well recognized top brand. Since they are not worried about brand perception, they are only offering a 1 yr warranty, and if a few problems do slip through, too bad. Just look at the 17-55 IS fiasco - after years of complaints of IS failing, they just recently seem to have fixed the problem internally, according to lensrentals statistics, but most customers who got the problem (with over 30% of lensrentals lenses affected, this seems to be a fairly high occurence) ended up paying out of pocket to have their lens repaired. Same thing with Nikon - they have had some problems with electronics failing on their bodies, didn't stop any sales.

Sigma and Tamron don't have this kind of perception benefit, so they are offering extended warranties to gather more sales. I think in the end, it all comes to QC and Sigma / Nikon / Canon etc. in the past all seem to have had some issues in this department.

Usually, before buying any item, it's a good idea to look for bad reviews. While having bad reviews by itself donesn't mean much - even the most stellar and reliable product will eventually get some - they are a good source of info on the common issues.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 02, 2011 07:57 |  #5

The ribbon cable is one problem. A screw working itself loose and jamming the zoom mechanism is another common problem with it. Canon actually does deserve criticism over that lens, they really ought to have recalled it and fixed it properly or at least offer free fixes on those particular issues, as it wasn't exactly a cheap lens!

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 02, 2011 09:01 |  #6

phreeky wrote in post #13040146 (external link)
The ribbon cable is one problem. A screw working itself loose and jamming the zoom mechanism is another common problem with it. Canon actually does deserve criticism over that lens, they really ought to have recalled it and fixed it properly or at least offer free fixes on those particular issues, as it wasn't exactly a cheap lens!

They are Canon, and they don't care. People would buy their lenses because (1) most of them are still very good (2) there's no real competition, many people mistrust 2-nd tier brands which have their own share of problems (e.g. Sigma AF iffy-ness).

One of the main reasons I chose Canon over Nikon were reports of sensors failing in D40. Several years later, I read similar reports about sensors / other electronics problems with D90. Guess what, Nikon is doing just swell. As long as it's not very widespread, they don't care and you're left with the bill. Now if Sony started making cameras that are on par with Canon and Nikon, and seriously bite into their market share, and do it while maintaining higher quality, they may up their game.

2OP: Have you actually tried to get this repaired free by Canon ?

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 02, 2011 09:12 |  #7

My 17-85 had the cable issue as well.. Fixed for $115 or something... Sucks...

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

3Rotor
805 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 02, 2011 11:03 |  #8

Same here, "err 01" on my 17-85. Shot with it for about 2.5 years, currently a paperweight; guess it could be a parts lens. Upgraded since then.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

AkumaX
256 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 02, 2011 11:30 |  #9

cost me $115 to fix the ribbon problem. at least canon service center was close by..

6D | 24-70L f/2.8 I | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2011 19:00 |  #10

never mind fixing the ones out there, what i don't get is why they don't do a running change *fix on the ones they're churning out now.

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

Roy ­ Webber
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 02, 2011 21:20 |  #11

mike cabilangan wrote in post #13039951 (external link)
the 17-85 really has that problem, my old 17-85 had it.

the 70-200 doesn't have that problem ...

Mine too...now I have the 15-85 IS, a far superior piece of glass.

Canon 7D, 40D,100-400 IS L, EFS 15-85 IS, EFS 10-22-With Faulty USM, 055XPROB+488RC2, 430 & 580 II Flash, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8-:cool:
Photos (external link)

adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 03, 2011 07:51 |  #12

Roy - I see in your signature you have an EFS 10-22 with Faulty USM - are the 10-22's also a bad quality lens? Should I be looking at a sigma if I wanted to purchase an ultra-wide lens?

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links

17,329 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF-S 17-85 has a serious manufacturing fault!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.