Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Sep 2011 (Monday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good Photography magazines?

Carlton750
237 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 05, 2011 18:38 |  #1

I did a couple of searches and couldn't find anything but, what are some of the most popular photography magazines out there?

450D | 7D | 18-55mm EF-S | 15-85 EF-S | 300mm f/4 L | 50mm f1.8 II EF
flickr (external link)
5oopx (external link)

sponsored links
Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 05, 2011 18:39 |  #2

Theyre catered towards styles of shooting, new and upcoming gear/reviews, editing and a slew of others. What are you most intereted in?

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Carlton750
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 05, 2011 18:43 |  #3

Jericobot wrote in post #13055709 (external link)
Theyre catered towards styles of shooting, new and upcoming gear/reviews, editing and a slew of others. What are you most intereted in?

Thought that might have been the case, would be nice if there was one that covered it all. But What I do is Landscapes/Nature, Wildlife and Motorsports. I'd say I'm most interested in the Landscapes and Nature because I don't do it often and can really learn something in that area.

flickr (external link)
5oopx (external link)

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 05, 2011 18:45 |  #4

Outdoor photography is a great magazine. Check them out online for some of their articles. As for an overall magazine I subscribe to Popular Photo, good reads and reviews but above all else...

POTN all day everyday

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 05, 2011 18:48 |  #5

I don't know if you can get them in the US but the "Better Photography", "Better Digital" and "Better Photoshop" series out of Australia are the best that I have found. Full of good editorial with much less advertising than is common, these mags are a really good read.

I only have the "Better Photoshop" one at hand...their site is www.betterphotoshoptec​hniques.com (external link) and no doubt that site will give you access to their other magazines.

Growing old disgracefully!

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 05, 2011 20:16 |  #6

Would not suggest Popular Photography magazine. It's almost like USA Today style writing that is very superficial with their "quick photo fix" which is cropping and tone curve and most of their articles really don't teach you much. I read Shutterbug at my library and used to get Outdoor Photographer magazine subscription which was good 4 years ago when I last read it.

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 05, 2011 20:40 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #7

I love reading periodicals, but for learning I think you will be better served by the internet and all the resources available online.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

Carlton750
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 05, 2011 21:18 |  #8

whuband wrote in post #13056303 (external link)
I love reading periodicals, but for learning I think you will be better served by the internet and all the resources available online.

I should probably say that I already use the internet for learning new photography techniques. It would just be nice to have something I can look at and read in my spare time, at school or somewhere I'm not on the internet.

flickr (external link)
5oopx (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2011 21:20 |  #9

Digital Photo is a pretty safe bet. They don't publish as often as others do so they tend to put more quality and thoughtfulness into what they write. As was said before, Popular Photography is most valuable as toilet paper.

Gear

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 06, 2011 10:14 |  #10

Here's another vote for Outdoor Photographer. You can get a really cheap subscription through various online magazine vendors.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 06, 2011 10:48 |  #11

Photo Plus is a Canon specific magazine out of UK. Digital Camera(UK) and Digital Photographer(UK) are non Canon specific but cover tech segments and technique segments. Visit a Barnes & Noble bookstore and peruse the art section. IMO Photo Plus is a great magazine for approx a year before they start repeating articles There is a Digital Photo mag with both US and UK versions and are NOT connected in any way other than name and both have good info in them. Shutterbug(US) is a good read also. Being mobility impaired I subscribe to multiple mags but still hit Barnes & Noble frequently to buy new to the scene mags they carry. I do suggest Popular Photography as one of the mags to buy just for different viewpoints and approaches to the subject.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 06, 2011 15:18 |  #12

I have all but given up on most magazines; too much outside influence by corporate bullying.
I tend to get more from various blogs and independent reviews then I could ever get out of magazines.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,915 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 07, 2011 13:58 |  #13

Jericobot wrote in post #13055732 (external link)
Outdoor photography is a great magazine. Check them out online for some of their articles.

+1 on the Outdoor Photography. I also really enjoy Digital Photo Pro . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 07, 2011 19:15 |  #14

golfecho wrote in post #13065125 (external link)
+1 on the Outdoor Photography. I also really enjoy Digital Photo Pro . . .

+1 on Digital Photo Pro. They have some good stuff to read, and go fairly in-depth with some photographers covering a range of styles/genres.

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

jandon
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2011 21:33 |  #15

I read Photo Raw -magazine. Not any equipment talk, just great photos and stories of photographers.

http://photoraw.org/ (external link)

http://vimeo.com/photo​raw/videos (external link)

sponsored links

1,716 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Photography magazines?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.