Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Sep 2011 (Monday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question for OWNERS of Adobe CS5

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 15:55 |  #1

Hey guys,

I am in the market for Adobe CS5 or CS5.5 (the former would be fine as html5 features in dreamweaver aren't critical to my needs). I'm looking around to get the best price.. using pricewatch.com. I found a company that is selling the suite for 50% cheaper than the competition. I'm looking at this site with great reservation as I'm the type to pay full price just to guarantee the real deal.

I've researched the site on google and there are nothing but good reviews, no complaints according to the BBB... so, I'm taking the site a little more serious. I was reading a few reviews, and some guy bought software from their and complained that their particular adobe program arrived in a generic box without manuals. This was the company's reply:

"Adobe no longer provides manuals with thier products in the CS5 editions. That is why a manual was not with the box. If you wish to purchase a manual, you have to purchase them seperately and you are able to do this on Adobe's website. This order was for a Photoshop EXT and we gave an upgrade to Web Premium, which is a $400.00 upgrade in programs. The package was not the Photoshop Package it was the Web Premium Package. All of our software is new."

My adobe software is pretty ancient and DOES come with some seriously hefty manuals. I really can't speak for their recent packaging. Is this a red flag or is there any substance to this statement...?

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,314 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Sep 12, 2011 16:00 |  #2

I downloaded the program and didn't get the manuals. Everything you need is on-line. I never read the manual anyway. They just take up room on the book case.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 16:01 |  #3

wow - ok, I just found another review : "I ordered 12 pieces of software and was concerned that they said, "academic use only" when they arrived. I called the company and the owner called me back immediately and answered all of my questions and explained that the software could legally be used for the purposes I was inquiring about. Great prices and great customer service!"

Edit: another review: ""Initially product license code provided with product didn't work. Their tech support person gave me the correct one with one phone call." HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE if it weren't otherwise a scam. Ridiculous.

I think that's SHADY enough for me! ouch! I'll be steering clear of LITTLE SOFT SHOP completely.

I haven't been screwed yet, and I refuse to be an web consumer victim - adobe.com will likely get my credit card number come order day....

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 16:08 |  #4

joedlh wrote in post #13091525 (external link)
I downloaded the program and didn't get the manuals. Everything you need is on-line. I never read the manual anyway. They just take up room on the book case.

I guess I should have specified which version - downloaded or boxed. I'm more interested in knowing the contents of the boxed version of CS5. If manuals are standard, then I know that there is a real issue with this online store. I mean, selling educational copies without advertisement. That is some seriously unethical ****.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 16:16 |  #5

nobody can comment on the boxed version?

Suddie1215
115 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 12, 2011 16:17 |  #6

I'm guessing the website is Little SoftShop; I didn't check too far into it but it looks a bit shady to me. The customer feedback where "Initially product license code provided with product didn't work" is a huge red flag.

Regarding manuals, the information from the seller is incorrect. The CS5 Suite installs an application called Adobe Community Help (external link) which is a one stop source for all your manuals. The information is in HTML and PDF format so you can then print for yourself. Its an Adobe AIR application which means that it detects when manuals are updated (they are updated frequently) and it will offer to update your local versions for you.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 16:29 |  #7

Suddie1215 wrote in post #13091635 (external link)
I'm guessing the website is Little SoftShop; I didn't check too far into it but it looks a bit shady to me. The customer feedback where "Initially product license code provided with product didn't work" is a huge red flag.

Regarding manuals, the information from the seller is incorrect. The CS5 Suite installs an application called Adobe Community Help (external link) which is a one stop source for all your manuals. The information is in HTML and PDF format so you can then print for yourself. Its an Adobe AIR application which means that it detects when manuals are updated (they are updated frequently) and it will offer to update your local versions for you.

lol, you googled the review I found. That's the source. I, too, updated my post above and included the same review regarding the license code. Dead giveaway. It amazes me that they are able to get away with charging people 800, 900 bucks and not a single person is shouting wolf! If I want to use adobe software without a proper license, there are a lot easier ways to do so without draining 800 bucks from my account.

It reminds of me of the seller on eBay that had +1000 positive feedback on eBay selling nothing but ripped disney DVDs. (my wife bought it - I'm waaaay too savvy for that!) When I got my copy I knew it was a fake right away. A few complaints later and I managed to get their account closed. I think people are in denial or something. If you want to rip it yourself/break the law, just do it yourself for free. If you want to pay a pirate a premium to do it for you and try and convince yourself that you are doing something legal, it's definitely time to swallow a reality pill.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2011 18:43 |  #8

I believe Adobe began scaling back on the actual paper manuals back in the day of Lightroom 1, which coincided with Photoshop CS3. Lightroom has never has a maunual aside from its pdf "Help" and what you can get to from Help, a combination of the pdf and the "community" help.

I don't remember the details, but I was able to get an "official" CS3 User Guide/manual after I downloaded it/installed it, but it was I believe a separate order, not something "built in" to my Photoshop upgrade purchase.

I haven't looked into things since then but it doesn't surprise me that CSx has followed the approach that Lightroom took. I find that the pdf Help is very usable, and having the online resourses there can work well.

And, my CS3 Manual is huge, and frankly I never took the time to go through it all, since I don't use all the various things -- just looking things up as needed, and that's definitely one of the strong points of a pdf format, easy table of contents, and the Search function works great!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 12, 2011 18:45 |  #9

I upgraded and all I got was a really expensive CD.

Unless you are a student or teacher, there is no discount from any legitimate channel I know of.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 12, 2011 19:47 |  #10

Pearlallica wrote in post #13091628 (external link)
nobody can comment on the boxed version?

No manual with CS5 boxed, nor with CS3 boxed IIRC and both were pre-ordered from Adobe. It's pretty much on a pdf.

Some of those sites with the fantastic prices are selling Academic products. A few months ago, I was looking for Acrobat Pro and settled on a site with a really good price and great reviews. I even called and was assured it was full version, no problem so I ordered. As soon as it arrived I called Adobe to check out the license. Sure enough, it was an Academic/Student license which I don't qualify for. I called the company, complained, and luckily got my money back. One of the things that made it believable was the price thru the site was less than Adobe, but more than an upgrade/student price. The Academic/Student price was actually less going thru Adobe. Just wish I qualified.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2011 19:58 |  #11

One thing of interest back when I went through this with CS3 is that when I did look online for their "manual" they actually offered the Martin Evening book on CS3, rather than the actual manual:)! I went ahead and ordered the book (I believe it was discounted, and came with a DVD) but somehow I still managed to find an official manual, I just don't recall how -- after all it was back in '07...:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 19:58 |  #12

D Thompson wrote in post #13092722 (external link)
No manual with CS5 boxed, nor with CS3 boxed IIRC and both were pre-ordered from Adobe. It's pretty much on a pdf.

Some of those sites with the fantastic prices are selling Academic products. A few months ago, I was looking for Acrobat Pro and settled on a site with a really good price and great reviews. I even called and was assured it was full version, no problem so I ordered. As soon as it arrived I called Adobe to check out the license. Sure enough, it was an Academic/Student license which I don't qualify for. I called the company, complained, and luckily got my money back. One of the things that made it believable was the price thru the site was less than Adobe, but more than an upgrade/student price. The Academic/Student price was actually less going thru Adobe. Just wish I qualified.

Well.. you do and you don't.. the academic license doesn't allow for commercial use of the software, needless to say. I don't know a lot about the fine print in adobe's licensing, but it's my opinion that pirating and mis-using a license outright such as this aren't all that dissimilar.

I know a guy that had tens of thousands invested in his video production business yet all his software (final cut, for example) is educational. I think he's tricked himself into thinking he's done the right thing. But again, I'm just speculating here.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2011 20:01 |  #13

S.Horton wrote in post #13092376 (external link)
I upgraded and all I got was a really expensive CD.

lol. Yeah. I'm going to make sure I get the boxed version because if I'm going to drop 2 grand on software I'm going to get the T-Shirt too, so to speak (BOX). That box will reside near my desk for a few months, I'll get over it, put it in storage, and likely trash it the next spring cleaning. ;)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 12, 2011 20:06 |  #14

I am not sure there are printed manuals available at all. I have had epic bad experiences with Adobe sales, even with an enterprise account, so be very wary even if they say you will get X with your purchase.

Good luck with your journey into CS.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 12, 2011 20:23 |  #15

Pearlallica wrote in post #13092805 (external link)
Well.. you do and you don't..

No, I don't - I am not a student. faq (external link)

Who may purchase and use Adobe Student and Teacher Editions?

The following individuals are eligible to purchase Adobe Student and Teacher Editions:

• University and college students — students enrolled at a higher education institution defined as an accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study
  • Primary and secondary school students — students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction
  • Faculty and staff — teachers and staff employed by an accredited primary or secondary school, public or private university or college, school district, or board of education (including emeritus status professors)1 (external link)
  • Homeschooled students and their teachers — students and teachers as defined by state homeschooling regulations

the academic license doesn't allow for commercial use of the software, needless to say.

Yes, actually it does - read the linked faq.

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?

Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.

I don't know a lot about the fine print in adobe's licensing, but it's my opinion that pirating and mis-using a license outright such as this aren't all that dissimilar.

Pirating is pirating. I know people take extreme advantage of the Student/Academic pricing and imo someone buying a student copy for a 2nd grader is taking advantage. The company tried to talk me into going ahead and using Acrobat, but no thanks. I like to register and be able to update my Adobe stuff.

What kind of evidence of eligibility is needed?

The following is needed from students and teachers to provide evidence of eligibility:
Students:
Proof of current enrollment, stating your name, the institution name, and the current date or term.1 (external link)
Types of proof of enrollment include:

• School ID card
  • Report card
  • Transcript
  • Tuition bill or statement
  • Any other document issued by the educational institution that includes your name, the institution name, and the current date or term

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links

2,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question for OWNERS of Adobe CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.