Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Sep 2011 (Monday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Career advice please!!!! (combat photography/photojournalism​)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 12, 2011 22:00 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I've been around here for a while, and finally feel ready to start asking these questions…so here goes!

I've been through three years of college so far, and a couple of months ago I finally saved up enough money for a 5D2 and a few lenses (I'm very lucky to have parents who are paying my way through school, I know). I know in my heart that photography is what I want to do with my life. I'm a petroleum engineering major, and frankly I'm sick of going through the motions at school for something that just isn't fulfilling. I'm hoping to make enough progress with my photography that I can drop out of school by the end of the year and never look back!

I've already shot three weddings at $500 each (I realize this price is pretty high compared to a lot of other people I know, but to be perfectly honest I'm a lot more serious about this than they are, and, if I dare say, a lot better at it as well), and weddings are all well and good, but they're not exactly exciting, you know? My real dream, obviously, is to become a photojournalist, and a damned good one at that. I want to do for photojournalism what Peter Lik's stunning work has done for landscape photography. I want to be the perfect combination of David LaChapelle and Robert Capa.

I see a lot of negative reactions on here to people with big aspirations in the photography world, and let me tell you right now, I understand it'll be hard. I know what it means to work toward something you want, and I know how tough it is out there for photographers these days. I'm ready to hear the harsh advice and the dire predictions. Lay 'em on me!

So, without further adu (external link), here are my questions:

• How does one go about getting into the business, anyway? I've got a few thousand bucks saved up…should I just catch a plane to Afghanistan and start taking pictures? Do I need a visa for that? I imagine that when I get there, I can take a bunch of pictures around Kabul and sell them to at least the Baltimore Sun or the Sacramento Bee, right? I don't think I'm ready to go into combat yet!!

• How much money should I expect for those pictures? A few thousand dollars?

• What lens would be best for taking photos inside a foxhole? And what picture style should I use? I'll probably run a cross-processing action on it later anyway, so that last question isn't super important.

• How much can I expect to have to pay a guide/bodyguard to drive me around the combat zone once I'm ready to go in? Should I choose someone clean-cut and professional or grizzled and battle-worn?

• Where do I get the vest or whatever that tells opposition soldiers that I'm a photographer and they shouldn't shoot me?

• I've noticed that a good subject for successful reportage photography is poor people. Is there any particular country where one can find people poor enough to be emotionally powerful (and photogenic), but is safe enough that I can walk around with my 70-200L without worrying?

• Does one generally have to pay poor people to take their picture, or is the thrill of seeing the flash go off enough? If I do have to pay them, what's an appropriate amount? I want to be fair, but I don't want to spoil anybody, you know?

• How hard would it be to convince models to do a shoot in Waziristan? I haven't seen this kind of shoot done before (I would preferably like to have explosions happening in the background), so I'm hoping it's my ticket to my own "style."

• How many models can I reasonably expect to sleep with for every one I shoot? Are they generally OK with no-strings-attached relationships or am I going to have to do a lot of "leaving the country for a job?" (You know what I mean, guys!)

• When meeting a contact at an outdoor cafe in the middle east, should I wear a keffiyeh and aviators, or a more traditional set of khakis? What type of cigarettes should I smoke, and how many?

• If Rolling Stone and National Geographic both want the same picture, which one should I sell it to?

• Do war photographers have assistants, or should I only hire one when I'm doing fashion work?

• I'm assuming that among the many beautiful and exotic women I'll be taking to bed during my career, the one who captures my heart will be a sexy white South African who is either a journalist or an aid worker. For those of you with experience on this front: how did you come to terms with her country's painful racial history? Is this an appropriate subject to bring up on, say, a second date?

• Realistically, how long should I expect it to take me to win my first Pulitzer? I know it'll be tough, so I'm prepared for a long wait…but let's be honest, after 10 years with nothing I'll probably be ready to go work at my dad's dealership.

Well that's it! I can't wait to hear your responses! Like I said, please be brutally honest…it'd be better to give up now than waste all that time and money trying at something that isn't guaranteed to work.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

sponsored links
ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 12, 2011 22:27 |  #2

Two words...life insurance.
See the link in my sig and welcome to POTN

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,148 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 12, 2011 22:28 |  #3

I'm not sure how much you get in rest the work, a mining engineer gets $100 plus in Australia. Also, you'll have the uni opportunistic to shoot some of uni landscapes in the world.

http://www.miningcaree​rs.com/ (external link)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 12, 2011 22:51 |  #4

Pardon me if this is a serious post, but I have a hunch that this is a clever piece of satire.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,148 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 12, 2011 22:56 |  #5

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #13093939 (external link)
Pardon me if this is a serious post, but I have a hunch that this is a clever piece of satire.

cptrios might joke for few times, but he is not another James for sure.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Eiro
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 12, 2011 23:00 |  #6

Awesome lol Love the ending Q's...definitely the Rolling Stone!

Get out and shoot

Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 12, 2011 23:11 |  #7

I must admit I was reading this thinking wow this guy sounds like a fool, then I realized what the post really was....

Nice one :mrgreen:

MyFlickr (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 12, 2011 23:13 |  #8

Iscariotau wrote in post #13094057 (external link)
I must admit I was reading this thinking wow this guy sounds like a fool, then I realized what the post really was....

Nice one :mrgreen:

Now I can actually see someone really thinking a fair bit of this.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

fraiseap
131 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 13, 2011 09:20 as a reply to  @ imsellingmyfoot's post |  #9

Classic,

Sadly I think the target of this satire will either not see this or not get it.

My favourite bit is about needing an assistant for war photography ("....or is that just for when I do fashion work")

Thanks for brightening up my day

"If I ever get satisfied, I'll have to stop. It's the frustration that drives you." - Eve Arnold

http://www.adamfraise.​com (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 13, 2011 09:36 |  #10

cptrios wrote in post #13093599 (external link)
• I'm assuming that among the many beautiful and exotic women I'll be taking to bed during my career, the one who captures my heart will be a sexy white South African who is either a journalist or an aid worker. For those of you with experience on this front: how did you come to terms with her country's painful racial history? Is this an appropriate subject to bring up on, say, a second date?

LO,,this is a classic.

I'm married to a development aid worker and I can tell you one thing,,,,,,

nope I won't go any further, but a hint, she's a natural redhead;)

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

cptrios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 13, 2011 10:20 |  #11

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #13093939 (external link)

Heh...not so much "clever" satire as "I threw my back out and am bored being stuck in bed" satire! And contrary to popular belief, it is not directed at a specific person. There have been many who've come before the young gentleman of whom you all speak.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

Eiro
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 13, 2011 10:20 |  #12

Definitely a morning highlight!

Get out and shoot

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 13, 2011 10:24 |  #13

<<after 10 years with nothing I'll probably be ready to go work at my dad's dealership.>>

You have what you need to get into the business now. (Read: money)

Go travel and shoot, hire an agent, get published, rinse and repeat.

Perhaps go start your own online magazine by hiring a professional PR firm to do it for you.

It will cost about six figures, but you will get noticed.

I am dead serious.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

hellbike
128 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 13, 2011 14:54 |  #14

after i read topic i though it's another one from thatjamesguy ;p

@edit

that was awesome.

it's just like.... - http://www.youtube.com …g&feature=playe​r_embedded (external link)

http://corruptingmind.​blogspot.com (external link)

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 14, 2011 06:49 |  #15

"I've got a few thousand bucks saved up…should I just catch a plane to Afghanistan and start taking pictures?"

"If Rolling Stone and National Geographic both want the same picture, which one should I sell it to

LOL, lets see I have been living here in Iraq for the past 2 years taking photos of the troops. Mind you there are a lot of RULES to the game. Running around the city will quickly get your head seperated from your body. I think you have been watching a lot of movies from the quesitons your asking.

This one is my favorite:
"Where do I get the vest or whatever that tells opposition soldiers that I'm a photographer and they shouldn't shoot me"

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

sponsored links

3,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
Career advice please!!!! (combat photography/photojournalism​)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.