Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 14:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A month in Asia with only carry on, Help me pack?

jdetmold
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 13, 2011 14:04 |  #1

So in dec my wife an I leave for a month in Asia, we will be going to China, Hong Kong and thailand. the majority of our time being spent in thailand.

So my question is this. What camera gear should I bring?!?! also if anyone has experience with Asia and know of anything I just cant miss on this trip please chime in as well.

I have:
50d + grip
xsi + grip
g12 + canon waterproof housing
sigma 10-20
sigma 24-70 (currently being re-calibrated by sigma for focus issues)
nifty 50
70-200 f/4L
3 flash heads (models proly dont matter for the purposes of this thread)
Kata 3N1-20 bag
manfrotto y302yb tripod
Manfrotto 190 pro
slr gorillapod

I am intending to do some diving well there so Im thinking I may bring the waterproof g12 case although as I say we are traveling light and the case is not exactly small....

as we will be taking a lot of smaller flight as well as many trains we are planning to take only a small travel bag of clothing each (this bag (external link)) and she will also have a very small sling bag for day outings and i will have a camera bag... smaller the better as it will have to go carry on as my personal item.

So I guess what I need is advice on a bag, Im not against buying one for the trip as I wont be able to fit much camera gear in my travel bag and advice on what gear to bring...

I know it seems early to post this but if I need to order a bag or if I can justify to my wife a new 'trip lens' then I want enough time to shop and not feel rushed as the Christmas season approaches (we leave the 26th so it will already be a crazy Christmas)

Thanks as always!

-Jeff
Gear List

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 13, 2011 14:58 |  #2

You could take a look at the crumpler 7mdh?

I'd bring the 50D with no grip to keep it small, the 10-20, 24-70, and 70-200 (this one is optional, only if you have space), the g12 + UW housing, and maybe a flash and small tripod.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 13, 2011 15:05 |  #3

Depends on what you wanna shoot...but I would say probably the 50D, 10-20, and 70-200 for a start. Probably no flash. You will probably want a tripod.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

jwicaksana
456 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2011 00:10 |  #4

Yeah definitely leave the grip at home, and for such kind of trip a superzoom is not actually a bad idea.
Say 18-200IS with Sigma 10-20, and G12 with its waterproof case.

Cheers! :D
Jonathan's Gear List and flickr (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2011 00:14 |  #5

P&S, have fun ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 14, 2011 00:24 |  #6

Don't forget some clothes....

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 14, 2011 00:39 |  #7

jdetmold wrote in post #13097255 (external link)
So in dec my wife an I leave for a month in Asia, we will be going to China, Hong Kong and thailand. the majority of our time being spent in thailand.

So my question is this. What camera gear should I bring?!?! also if anyone has experience with Asia and know of anything I just cant miss on this trip please chime in as well.

I have:
50d + grip
xsi + grip
sigma 10-20
nifty 50
70-200 f/4L
Kata 3N1-20 bag
manfrotto y302yb tripod
Manfrotto 190 pro
slr gorillapod

I am intending to do some diving well there so Im thinking I may bring the waterproof g12 case although as I say we are traveling light and the case is not exactly small....

as we will be taking a lot of smaller flight as well as many trains we are planning to take only a small travel bag of clothing each (this bag (external link)) and she will also have a very small sling bag for day outings and i will have a camera bag... smaller the better as it will have to go carry on as my personal item.

So I guess what I need is advice on a bag, Im not against buying one for the trip as I wont be able to fit much camera gear in my travel bag and advice on what gear to bring...

I know it seems early to post this but if I need to order a bag or if I can justify to my wife a new 'trip lens' then I want enough time to shop and not feel rushed as the Christmas season approaches (we leave the 26th so it will already be a crazy Christmas)

Thanks as always!

I live in SE Asia and travel around the region a far bit. December, especially in SE Asia is a great time to get around. Cooler and drier. Northern China will be cold.

Take your 50D naturally, I have a 50D but I always leave the grip attached,, personal preference. Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm and your 70-20mm f/4. 50mm f/1.8 is a tiny lens and very useful for low light stuff. Don't worry about a tripod.

Your G12 will be a nice "do it all" when you don't want to lug your DSLR gear around all the time.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 14, 2011 07:32 |  #8

50D + 24-70 Sigma and be done with it. Maybe the 50 prime if your out and about at night.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 14, 2011 07:34 |  #9

Razeus wrote in post #13101135 (external link)
50D + 24-70 Sigma and be done with it. Maybe the 50 prime if your out and about at night.

Heck no... You want UWA for all those places :D

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 14, 2011 07:48 |  #10

I'd take all your lenses and 1 tripod and 1 flash. I absolutely hate being some place and not having the right tool for the job. I can always deal with extra heavy bags. You could leave the grip but bring the extra battery.

When I travel oveseas I have all my heavy ass camera gear as my camera gear in a carry on. All clothese etc get shoved in small backback and get with the checked in luggage. Clothes are always easily replacable.

Get's me strange looks with the customs.. "Sir you just traveled 7600 miles and all you brought is camera gear?"

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2011 09:05 |  #11

You probably want to stick with a setup that you can easily carry everywhere with you. Don't want to leave a bunch of super expensive gear in a hotel while you're gone for the day.

Skip the waterproof case and buy a waterproof disposable for the dive. No setup, no hassle. Maybe you could get something like an 18-200 for your trip lens and give up a little quality for portability. Could probably sell it easily when you get back and it will save you at least one lens and some weight. Add your 10-20 for great scenes and maybe the 50 for inside shots and you're set. Skip the flash since most cool places probably don't want you using it, hence the 50. Definitely add a quality waterproof bag for when you get hit with weather. Shouldn't add much room or bulk. I would be hesitant to even bring the g12, but having a backup body isn't a bad idea.

Remember you're on vacation, so have fun.

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

retour
462 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 14, 2011 09:10 as a reply to  @ highergr0und's post |  #12

1. G12 + UW housing
2. Flash

if space permits
3. 50D + nifty fifty (80mm Fov on 50D)

if more space is avilable and depending upon what you plan to shoot:
* 10-22 and/or 70-200
* gorillapod or a monopod

ZF.2 28/2, ZF.2 50/2 MP .... Rok 85/1.4
D700 .... P7000 .... FM-10 (film)
razzi (external link)

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 14, 2011 12:24 |  #13

jdetmold wrote in post #13097255 (external link)

I have:
50d + grip
xsi + grip
sigma 10-20
nifty 50
70-200 f/4L
Kata 3N1-20 bag
manfrotto y302yb tripod
Manfrotto 190 pro
slr gorillapod

Thanks as always!

First and foremost: Have fun!

Second: The problem with threads like these is that there isn't much help to truely be offered if we don't really know how you shoot, or what you like to take pictures of. And is the goal good photography, or are you just going to be satisfied that you have your 50D along for the ride? Do you know what the weight restrictions are? Is this a photo trip, or one to be enjoyed with the wife?

My opinion on the matter hinges around the fact that I normally don't like long lenses, and sometimes feel constrained that my 17-55 IS isn't and wider than that! So, 50D (with or without grip, depending on how much weight you want to shave), 10-20, 24-70, (maybe) 1 flash, and be done. If you really want good underwater shots (and can make the room) than by all means grab the G12 + housing.

If you are looking to save a little more weight and space, pick up a Tamron 18-270 VC PZD; small lens with lots of range, and, by all accounts, better than the Canon 18-200 (with bonus reach). I could run with that lens (the Tamron) and my 10-22 and be (mostly) happy if it were a trip where the focus wasn't photography.

In the end, you have to decide what's most important, and what focal lengths are most important to you! :)

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 21, 2011 15:46 |  #14

Thanks for the help guys!
This is not a photo trip but rather just a trip with my wife who has great patience with my photography when traveling. lol I just dont want to try that patience to much.

I agree no real point in the battery grip on the 50d so i will drop that and just take the spare battery. and I think i will take the sigma 17-50 the GP for night and maybe one other lens. also my g12 as it's a great alternative if I dont want to carry the 50d somewhere.
as far as a bag goes I have no idea what to do there. I looked at the MDH's at the local shop but im not sure it's for me. I may have to borrow my friends for a week and see.

Thanks again for the help!

-Jeff
Gear List

jdetmold
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 21, 2011 15:49 |  #15

yogestee wrote in post #13100359 (external link)
I live in SE Asia and travel around the region a far bit. December, especially in SE Asia is a great time to get around. Cooler and drier. Northern China will be cold.

Take your 50D naturally, I have a 50D but I always leave the grip attached,, personal preference. Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm and your 70-20mm f/4. 50mm f/1.8 is a tiny lens and very useful for low light stuff. Don't worry about a tripod.

Your G12 will be a nice "do it all" when you don't want to lug your DSLR gear around all the time.

Thanks for the help!
living in se asia anything i should be sure not to miss? We have planed only what county to be in at what time but moving throughout the country has not been decided. i would love to get to Laos but sadly my wife has no real interest in going there.

-Jeff
Gear List

sponsored links

2,744 views & 0 likes for this thread
A month in Asia with only carry on, Help me pack?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.