Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you apply any generic development settings when importing into lightroom?

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 13, 2011 20:34 |  #1

I have been considering setting up some presets for this and am wondering if anyone else does it. I saw in a search that you can have it automatically apply a different preset depending on ISO and camera. I am thinking along the lines of enabling the lens correction profile, small bumps in contrast, clarity, and sharpening with a noise reduction adjustment based on ISO. Of course this would only be a starting point.

Anyone do this and if so care to share your settings?

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

sponsored links
Rendezvous
Goldmember
1,183 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 14, 2011 01:54 |  #2

My import settings include lens correction, selecting "Camera - Standard" as well as noise reduction and sharpening settings. For me it sets a better starting point for the editing and means the image appears a lot closer to what is seen on the camera screen after taking it.

danieltalbotPhotography (external link)
Follow me on Twitter: @danieljtalbot (external link)

JPayne
527 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 15, 2011 10:27 as a reply to  @ Rendezvous's post |  #3

Same here as-well as some calibration for the 5D MKII colours to get them looking very similar to DPP

Canon 5D MKII | Canon 24-105L | Canon [COLOR="Blue"]70-200mm F4L IS |Canon 50mm F1.8 |Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro | Canon 430exII
www.jpayne.co.uk (external link)
www.jpayneblog.co.uk (external link)

cagenuts
860 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 19, 2011 05:54 |  #4

Rendezvous wrote in post #13100532 (external link)
My import settings include lens correction, selecting "Camera - Standard" as well as noise reduction and sharpening settings.

Would you mind sharing the noise and sharpening settings please? I'm just getting into Lightroom and I would appreciate a good starting point.

Thanks.

...Ask me anything, I'm an ultracrepidarian.
Hilton

bunyarra
429 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 19, 2011 10:07 |  #5

Yup - I set all sliders to their zero value and apply a custom profile built with the ColorChecker tool. I will also set the lens correction for all applicable. The custom 5DII profile is a darn sight better on the reds than anything supplied by default.

-------------
Michael Gove
http://photosignals.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Google+ Profile (external link)

paddler4
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 19, 2011 11:12 |  #6

I set the default to have all sliders set to zero and Adobe Standard. I don't want anything changed automatically. E.g., if you are blending or stacking images, you might not want any sharpening done beforehand.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 19, 2011 11:43 |  #7

cagenuts wrote in post #13126145 (external link)
Would you mind sharing the noise and sharpening settings please? I'm just getting into Lightroom and I would appreciate a good starting point.

Thanks.

I don't know if there is a generalized "starting point" for noise and sharpening. It really depends on the image you are working on, things such as is it a portrait or a landscap? And, are you using a high ISO that would show more noise or a low ISO with plenty of light and less noticeable noise?

So, it would be worth your while to take the time and work on a variety of image "types" with different characteristics. Over time, you will get a feel of what tends to "work" with different things. With, for example, a landscape that was shot in good light and all you scene is (and should be) nice and crisp, the most "natural" thing is to set a nice relatively high sharpening level. You could mess with the radius and detail settings -- they may (or may not) make a significant difference. The thing to avoid with such scenes is over-sharpening that can result in artifacts. A good, well-lit scenic/landscape photo benefits from decent sharpening, no noise reduction, and that can pretty much be it.

But, let's say you shoot the same scene, but in lower light so that you need to up the ISO from, say 100 or 200 to, say, 1600 or 3200. Or, let's say that even with a higher ISO, your light was so low that your exposure ended up not as bright as needed and so you will have to boost the tones in Lightroom, especially the shadows and midtones.

Well, we know that this is where you will begin to encounter digital noise. How noticeable it is will depend on the image and how you will use/display it. But, in general, if I have a shot like that I will assume that 1) strong sharpening will tend to bring out the noise more and 2) some noise reduction will be beneficial.

And, there are two great tools Lightroom has: first there is the Masking slider under Sharpening. What this does is detect areas that have a smooth tone -- think of a blue sky or some part of your image that should remain, well, smooth. Upping the Masking slider will keep your sharpening from "bringing out" unwanted noise in those areas and it's a good thing to use when dealing with those high ISO images.

Noise reduction can be tricky because it tends to soften detail -- use it when needed, but to me goint a bit light on sharpening, using Masking, and going as light as possible on Luminance Noise Reduction helps to keep things intact.

But the other Lightroom tool I was referring to is the Local Adjustment Brush. This can be used for "selective sharpening" in Lightroom for some really cool results!

With, say, a shot of a critter with good detail and a background that you don't want sharp, you can get great results by keeping the "global" Sharpening slider to zero, and maybe even the Noise Reduction slider to zero. Open a new adjustment brush and set the sharpening slider to say 100 and brush the subject you want nice and sharp. And then, you can open a new brush and set that slider all the way back to the end of the Softening scale and brush the background. With the right image, that could kill two birds with one stone -- soften noise in the background, and bring out the crisp detail with the subject!

Anyway, if you really want a "starting point" then you will need to address different image "types", get some decent setting for each type (including ISO and such, and then you could at some point create a preset for a given type.

But, don't go for some kind of cookie-cutter, one-size-fits-all approach!

Note that Lightroom has a couple built-in presets for sharpening -- one for "landscapes" an one for "faces" that do different "things". It would be worth your while to try those presets, see what they do, and try to come up with your own approach.

Also, Lightroom sharpening has been a subject for various online tutorials, so doing an internet search for "lightroom sharpen tutorial" brings up some very promising hits:

http://www.search-results.com …l%3Asrc%3Dieb%3​Ao%3D16316 (external link)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cagenuts
860 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 19, 2011 13:31 |  #8

Gee thanks Tony, that's a lot to digest but certainly some gems in there.

Thanks again!

...Ask me anything, I'm an ultracrepidarian.
Hilton

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 19, 2011 15:24 |  #9

Heh! When someone asks a serious question I do tend to get "Long...winded" in trying to provde a thought-out answer that seeks to cover the bases and be reasonably comprehensive!

I'm obiously not one to resort to one-liners:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 19, 2011 15:59 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #10

I screwed myself over on a recent import by automatically applying sharpening. True, it saved me a step but then I couldn't quickly identify the keepers by the "This Photo has Develop Adjustments" icon on the thumbnail's lower right hand corner.

(I realize there are ways around this, using filters, etc. but I had become lazy and depended on seeing the icon only on the photos I had worked on.)

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 19, 2011 17:12 |  #11

Heh! I avoid such mixups by first flagging the select photos as Picks. Then, I can work on a shot in a set and apply desired edits to the set and a Pick remains a Pick!

Tony

JPayne
527 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2011 02:54 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #12

For Sharpening I use 'Amount 40' and 'Radius 80' on import and for Noise Reduction I use 'Luminance 20' and 'Detail 50'. This helps by cleaning up the majority or images and the sharpening is something like using a level of 4 in DPP. This is by no means suitable for every picture but for me it's a good starting point. I also use lens correction and a custom camera profile.

Canon 5D MKII | Canon 24-105L | Canon [COLOR="Blue"]70-200mm F4L IS |Canon 50mm F1.8 |Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro | Canon 430exII
www.jpayne.co.uk (external link)
www.jpayneblog.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

2,966 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you apply any generic development settings when importing into lightroom?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.