Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 22:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 3 and the Contrast & Brightness Sliders

tripl3distill3d
26 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 14, 2011 22:05 |  #1

I've been using Lightroom for a while and although I'm no master with the program I know what I'm doing. I like to have control of what I'm doing so I like to begin with the linear tonal curve, but for some reason I didn't change the brightness and contrast sliders. Feeling that I should be in more control of my editing, I set them to zero and just wanted to know how many people begin PP with the two sliders on zero or if anyone leaves them on the default setting and adjusts them accordingly.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 15, 2011 00:52 |  #2

Well, that's a good question with some good points, but I personally am content with the defaults as a starting point. From there I can fine tune things, but even then I'll typically use the Brightness/Contrast sliders if I think it can help the image.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 15, 2011 07:06 |  #3

I leave them set to whatever the camera profile puts them at for the RAW image source I'm editing.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 16, 2011 00:23 |  #4

No matter where you put them, never ignore them. Always be prepared to adjust them on a photo-by-photo basis.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 16, 2011 02:08 |  #5

I also leave them wherever they default to, until I feel that some adjustment is required. As Damo77 says, I do it on a photo by photo basis. I start a little differently than you do. I set the camera profile first, as I have them for various shooting conditions from calibration with the Color Checker passport, then I go into "develop" mode...

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Moooney
641 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 17, 2011 08:27 |  #6

for some reason i always leave them at default. i add contrast by jacking the highs and lowering the darks in the tone curve, and brighten things up by increasing exposure and sometimes adding a little fill light.

5dmk ii / 35mm f/1.4 L / Σ 85mm f/1.4 / 135mm f/2 L / 430 EX II flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2011 09:55 |  #7

An important thing to understand about the Brightness slider is that it is designed to boost the overall brightness of an image but to keep the White Point as-is, which is very nice if you want to keep highlights from totally blowing!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 3 and the Contrast & Brightness Sliders
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.