Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 01:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick Macro by Tubes Question

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 15, 2011 01:08 |  #1

When trying to match a lens focal length to different size macro tubes, do you factor in the 1.6 crop factor when using aps-c cameras?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 15, 2011 01:10 |  #2

The crop factor is -never- used for anything except for comparing the field of view between different formats. That is why there are so many of us on this forum who are so adamant that people should just forget about all the crop factor BS.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

cedew
339 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2011 01:13 |  #3

Agreed, just buy a set of tubes and go play with them. :)

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 15, 2011 01:53 |  #4

Thanks. I just got my tubes and I am having a great time testing them out on my 7D and 5D. I was just wondering if there would be any difference between the two and macro ratios.
Just to verify, will my 85mm(136mm on crop) 1.4 will have the same effect on both bodies with the same length tubes on the lens?

LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 15, 2011 11:35 |  #5

ChadAndreo wrote in post #13106101 (external link)
Thanks. I just got my tubes and I am having a great time testing them out on my 7D and 5D. I was just wondering if there would be any difference between the two and macro ratios.
Just to verify, will my 85mm(136mm on crop) 1.4 will have the same effect on both bodies with the same length tubes on the lens?

The tubes simply increase the lens close focusing ability. That's the same as saying it increases potential magnification. Of course you lose the ability to focus to infinity while the lens is mounted on the tube.

Those factors will be the same, whether on crop or FF. Magnification, close focus distance remain the same.

You will still see the angle of view difference between the cameras, just the same as you do using the lens on the two different cameras.

Two things you might find different:

1. On some lenses, particularly those that aren't flat field design, you can see some softness in the corners and/or vignetting when using the tubes. This isn't necessarily a bad thing... You often can use it to good advantage in your images. Or, in the case of vignetting, you can adjust it away in post processing or perhaps with Peripheral Illumination Correction feature on cameras that have it.

Because the FF camera uses more of the image circle from any lens, you will likely see these effects stronger on that camera, a little less on the crop camera.

2. Often when shooting close-ups/macro, you get very shallow DOF. It might be possible to stop down a little more with FF than with crop, before diffraction causes problems. Rule of thumb I use with crop is f8, f11 in a pinch. I try not to go beyond that. On FF, I'll use f11, f16 and possibly even f22 (though I try not to use it).

This is oversimplifying it, there are some differences in the effects of diffraction depending upon the density of the pixels on a camera's sensor, plus effective differences in DOF due to the change in formats. DOF itself doesn't actually change, but you tend to work closer to subject to fill the frame when using FF camera, assuming you are using the same focal length lens. Working in closer means shallower DOF, so being able to offset it with smaller aperture helps.

Years ago I stopped trying to calculate magnifications and such with macro... I just have a pretty good feel for what a tube will do on a given lens, from practice. Basically, with an 85mm you will want 12mm for mild increase in magnification, 20mm for moderate increase and 36mm for fairly strong increase. You'd likely have to use two tubes together to get all the way to 1:1, but most people don't shoot all that much at full 1:1 anyway.

It depends upon the lens' focal length. 12mm extension on a 20mm lens is huge amount of extension. Meanwhile 36mm on a 500mm lens is only a very modest increase in close focusing ability.

Basic rule of thumb is that you need extension equivalent to the focal length to get all the way to 1:1.... but this is also very much oversimplified. All lenses have some native close focusing abilitiy, so you'll find you actually need less extension. Considerably less with lenses that are pretty close focusing to begin with.

Canon has a lens chart on their website, and I think they show the effect of their own 12mm and 25mm extension tubes on magnification and/or close focusing distance with each lens. You might want to download that.

But, really, IMO the best way to learn to use the tubes is just to get busy using and experimenting with them.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 15, 2011 13:21 |  #6

Wow!
Thanks for that very informative post.

sponsored links

646 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick Macro by Tubes Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.